Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 56

Thread: "We're pregnant."

  1. #1
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default "We're pregnant."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onDCvHtHSkY

    The video is funny, but it's too bad there are so many trolls and dumbos in the comment section.

    To expand further on the controversial sentiments, I don't like when couples say "we're pregnant" either, even before I rose to claim feminism. Men cannot physically be pregnant, and I feel the statement also detracts from what the woman experiences, and subconsciously decreases the respect and understanding for her experience. I think the more appropriate and accurate phrase would be "we're expecting" or "we're having a baby."

    The word "pregnant" does not encompass every interchangeable term for "team." It means carrying a child within the womb. So no, he's not pregnant. She is.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317
    Bad Hamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamsterville
    Posts
    13,696
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Stop going to 9gag.tv

  3. #3
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    Stop going to 9gag.tv
    Never been there.

  4. #4
    in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151
    Oisterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trash Boat
    Posts
    25,819
    Rep Power
    45

    Default

    It might be obnoxious but isn't it infinitely better than the millions of dudes skipping out on the entire process? I'd rather have an overenthusiastic dad than an absent one.

  5. #5
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    It might be obnoxious but isn't it infinitely better than the millions of dudes skipping out on the entire process? I'd rather have an overenthusiastic dad than an absent one.
    I've heard that retort. I don't think you should make a false statement just to promote your enthusiasm. "We're expecting" or "we're having a baby" is the same, non-obnoxious, enthusiasm, while also being accurate.

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 416

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    6,574
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    so... u thought this was worthy of a discussion? i think even duby can conjure up a better topic to debate

    it is incorrect but honestly who gives a shite, if anything i'd find it really cute and just correct him in a laid back matter

    sry, couldn't rly care less

  7. #7
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "we're pregnant" until today.

    this is just more blown out of proportion bullshit the feminazis can clutch onto and moan about.

  8. #8
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avarance View Post
    so... u thought this was worthy of a discussion? i think even duby can conjure up a better topic to debate

    it is incorrect but honestly who gives a shite, if anything i'd find it really cute and just correct him in a laid back matter

    sry, couldn't rly care less
    Your reply says otherwise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "we're pregnant" until today.

    this is just more blown out of proportion bullshit the feminazis can clutch onto and moan about.
    Yes, it was blown out of proportion, but not by these "feminazis" you concocted in your mind. It's anti-feminists, MRAs, and MGTOWs that are "moaning."

  9. #9
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I hope to meet rich boiz...

  10. #10
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 416

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    6,574
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Your reply says otherwise.
    sry i am just pmsing right now

  11. #11
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,983
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Without clicking the video, pretty sure this is because of the statement Mila Kunis made.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  12. #12
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Without clicking the video, pretty sure this is because of the statement Mila Kunis made.
    It was an exaggerated, scripted comedy sketch about a legitimate comment that is somewhat frequently uttered.

  13. #13
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    ø§
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    I've never heard anyone use the phrase "we're pregnant" until today.
    Ex-****ing-actly. I have never heard one couple who were having a baby say "we're pregnant." I really wouldn't say it anyway because I, of course, am not pregnant.

    .... that being said:

    My fiancee says that she disagrees and that it would show that I was on her team. We've already had one baby that we gave up for adoption and that I was always there with her. So, I guess I'm more feminist than she is :P

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  14. #14
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Ex-****ing-actly. I have never heard one couple who were having a baby say "we're pregnant." I really wouldn't say it anyway because I, of course, am not pregnant.

    .... that being said:

    My fiancee says that she disagrees and that it would show that I was on her team. We've already had one baby that we gave up for adoption and that I was always there with her. So, I guess I'm more feminist than she is :P
    I've heard it a bit.

    Ultimately, it is a preference and I'm not going to chew someone's head off for saying it, but I don't like it.

    What I find more irritating is people hating on the video and arguing about irrelevant shit.

  15. #15
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,983
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It was an exaggerated, scripted comedy sketch about a legitimate comment that is somewhat frequently uttered.
    What's legitimate about the comment?

    It's not even biologically correct, nor does it imply partnership is any stronger than saying "My Wife/Gf/partner/spouse/etc is pregnant".

    It's kind of dumb to say to be honest. And I wouldn't say it's said even "somewhat frequently" either. Most of the people I know who've had kids or are having them never say that.

    I have heard it before, but it's rather uncommon. It just sounds like something someone is trying to push to be PC for something really insignificant. The fact that many men audibly claim they are about to raise a kid with their female partner is just fine. This shouldn't even be an issue.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  16. #16
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    What's legitimate about the comment?

    It's not even biologically correct, nor does it imply partnership is any stronger than saying "My Wife/Gf/partner/spouse/etc is pregnant".

    It's kind of dumb to say to be honest. And I wouldn't say it's said even "somewhat frequently" either. Most of the people I know who've had kids or are having them never say that.

    I have heard it before, but it's rather uncommon. It just sounds like something someone is trying to push to be PC for something really insignificant. The fact that many men audibly claim they are about to raise a kid with their female partner is just fine. This shouldn't even be an issue.
    I meant "legitimate" as in people have legitimately used it, not that I agree with it.

    I've heard some of my family members and friends use it in such context. Its frequency may depend on where you live and how often you speak to pregnant women and fathers of unborn children.

    It shouldn't be an issue, but some guys don't like when they're not equally included and equally pregnant.

  17. #17
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,983
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    I meant "legitimate" as in people have legitimately used it, not that I agree with it.

    I've heard some of my family members and friends use it in such context. Its frequency may depend on where you live and how often you speak to pregnant women and fathers of unborn children.

    It shouldn't be an issue, but some guys don't like when they're not equally included and equally pregnant.
    I'm sorry but while I can understand that the frequency of that phrase might vary, the context in which it's used, from what I've seen, has always been because some women don't like it when men say that "they" are pregnant because they think it implies that the father had no part in the process. It has never been because men don't feel like they are being included.

    I really hate to sound sexist on this, but that's some shit that women say, not men. Women have pushed that concept onto men and some have gone with it or are supportive of the idea, but it's not something that men have been pushing for to be added to our socially acceptable vocabulary folders.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  18. #18
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    I'm sorry but while I can understand that the frequency of that phrase might vary, the context in which it's used, from what I've seen, has always been because some women don't like it when men say that "they" are pregnant because they think it implies that the father had no part in the process. It has never been because men don't feel like they are being included.

    I really hate to sound sexist on this, but that's some shit that women say, not men. Women have pushed that concept onto men and some have gone with it or are supportive of the idea, but it's not something that men have been pushing for to be added to our socially acceptable vocabulary folders.
    If you clicked on the link and read the YouTube comments, you'd see you are wrong.

  19. #19
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    I don't like the sentiment that shines through in the OP.

    A baby isn't some kind of possession. Imo, if you are in a relationship that argues over the "possession" of certain bodily functions, you don't get what counts in this world.

    If this topic bothers you at all, don't rush into getting children.

    Where does the phrase come from anyways? Let me share my theory:
    When the woman becomes pregnant, couples at times, fight, or even break up. To counter that effect, they go to counseling sessions where they try all the coveted roleplay stuff, yadayada. Also they get exercises to promote a better understanding and show more caring for each others needs and interests.
    One of the things those councilors come up with is:
    "Why don't you try out saying 'our pregnancy' and 'We are pregnant' instead of 'Her pregnancy' and 'She is pregnant'". Magically this tends to happen more often in counseling that works, so everyone suddenly is all over the idea.
    There are however individuals who prefer to first go through the "fighting followed by counseling" phase, just in case. They are just too cool to use silly language like that, because they are rebels by nature or w/e. Until it matters, when the idea becomes silly.

    From this perspective: Humbly and with no ill intent @the OP. F* your idea of the political relevance of things here. It's really not what counts.
    Is it really any of your business? Do you want to hear that story above from a friend who you correct about that phrase and would you keep insisting?

    Also M. K. an J. K. didn't raise my respect for them today. Unaware comedy is just... (dumb might be the best fit of a word I am looking for.)
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-14-2014 at 01:49 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  20. #20
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,983
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    If you clicked on the link and read the YouTube comments, you'd see you are wrong.
    Yes, because if youtube comments from strangers sarcastically disagree with me or are being argumentative for the sake of it, I must be wrong. If you want to sit here and argue about who's right and wrong I'ma save you the trouble and just say I am so you can take the tally mark, if you think that actually matters.

    Sure, there are guys who say that "we're pregnant" and that's fine, but most don't. Typically, guys have been saying, "we're having a baby" or "my__ is having a baby" and people understood that to mean that they are being supportive. It's only been "somewhat recently" that this "we're pregnant" thing has been an issue.

    Ultimately, who the hell cares what people say as long as they are being supportive?

    So yeah, for the record, I personally think the statement is dumb and irrelevant. Thanks for listening.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  21. #21
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422
    poeticas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    this is a lot more amusing ...
    YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

  22. #22
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Snip.
    Is it the baby that's the "possession" or the body functions? You go from one to the other, so it's inconsistent and confusing.

    My gripe isn't about the baby. It's about stating that "we're" pregnant, when only one person can be pregnant. That's it. Does my boyfriend ovulate with me too? Does his vagina bleed?

    I'm not sure I agree with your theory, but the term probably did originate from pregnancy classes and the like. Possibly to make the man feel more included, and to influence him to be more involved with the pregnancy than just supplying the woman with food and other surface-essentials.

    In that regard, which I haven't thought of until now, it does sound more plausible and acceptable. However, I still don't agree with its usage.

    Do you mean "political correctness?" I don't consider it wrong to abide by a definition of a word.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Yes, because if youtube comments from strangers sarcastically disagree with me or are being argumentative for the sake of it, I must be wrong. If you want to sit here and argue about who's right and wrong I'ma save you the trouble and just say I am so you can take the tally mark, if you think that actually matters.

    Sure, there are guys who say that "we're pregnant" and that's fine, but most don't. Typically, guys have been saying, "we're having a baby" or "my__ is having a baby" and people understood that to mean that they are being supportive. It's only been "somewhat recently" that this "we're pregnant" thing has been an issue.

    Ultimately, who the hell cares what people say as long as they are being supportive?

    So yeah, for the record, I personally think the statement is dumb and irrelevant. Thanks for listening.
    It was also posted on Facebook with a lot of the comments I'm referring to by men with hundreds to thousands of upvotes.

    I'm sure there are people who are trolling, but not all of them are.

    You're welcome. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

  23. #23
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,309
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    TuxedoSam:
    Well, see it that way, while arguing that you are out to help people, that same people are looking for practical solutions for problems that they have. Arguing that those solutions are stupid out of a position of ignorance benefits whom exactly?

    This has nothing to do with PC.
    The direction I am coming from is, that as I try to emphasise the situation of people who do this, because they are struggling and clinging to whatever they can. What I come up with is that you are belitteling their efforts. By that you insult them and you hurt them. That's all.

    My mothertongue is German, a language, that consists more than half out of war metaphors. Words and their meanings can be anything you want them to in my book.

    I tried to point out that you are being a dick. I don't think you mean bad at all by it and your intentions are as i see them laudable, but you still are. Not literally as in being a male sexual organ, but I didn't have to say that.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-14-2014 at 03:17 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  24. #24
    Game Journalist Reputation: 484

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,689
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  25. #25
    Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55
    Narfi Hungry Willem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    701
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    It is sad to see hate promoted by such an offended culture.
    If my wife and I want to get pregnant and that offends you, then eff you, its really none of your business.

    EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •