"OMG, not another MOBA."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 27

I really hate MOBAs....

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168

Quote Originally Posted by sliferx94 View Post
    Its not retarded at all, when developers just keep putting out new MOBAs that really dont innovate at all just same thing with different skin, i'd say it pretty much deserves "Not another MOBA" reaction. Now if its something new then i wouldn't say that, like cyphers online that is actually pretty fun and different. I dont want more chess games with different skin, i want more innovative chess games. Thats my opinion on the whole matter, and other than that.. who cares really just ignore. As Kashis said, same thing with WoW clones when there were tons of mmos just like it, this is no different.
    I've played Dawngate, Prime World, SMITE, League of Legends, DOTA2, and Strife; and none of them feel the same. Mostly because of the Champions. Sometimes I wish I could transfer some champions between games. Then the maps have differences, the items are very import parts of MOBAs and they're different. Even if they don't totally change up the play style of the game, they're different because of these changes which make you prefer some over others.

What kind of innovation would you want in a MOBA?
    I for one don't like 3D MOBAs like SMITE, I prefer top down. I don't like carriers for items, or a lot of active items in game, so I don't like DOTA and Strife.

This leaves me with Prime World, League of Legends, and Dawngate. I play Dawngate because their champion pool is amazing, I find them very fun and innovative. Prime World was actually a decent game because you could build your character outside of matches, however I didn't like the maps very much, or the imbalance that building characters outside the matches brought.

So I can play League of Legends and Dawngate. Sometimes I'm sick of the popular picks in LoL and the extremely team oriented late game strategies. Sometimes I'm sick of the new BM players in Dawngate, or nerfs to champions or items which hurts my favourite picks. I would love to have another game to fall back on if I don't feel like these two.

Because the competitive nature in MOBAs this allows you to grow in skill as a player, rather than your character just growing. I can't play League and DOTA2 at the same time because of the changes in controls being too different, so I would be unable to play at a high level at both, I'd need to focus on one, and not have the other one screw up my game tactics.

The differences are outstanding, from little tweaks, to bigger pictures. These are different companies, different games, different tactics, different players, different champions, different items, different maps, different patches, different appeal, different style. They're different.

What do you want innovated?

I'm sure all the devs are looking for the next big idea. Cyphers Online might be one of those. I know LoL is very appealing to me because of the ranking system, LCS, and competitive following.

What would you want to see, that is the question. This is a new genre and the growth is not slowing down. What do you want in your MOBA?

Do you want to Break the Meta?
    Do you want to fight on the Battlegrounds of Gods?

What is it, because honestly this genre is not leaving. So stop complaining and start gaming.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

RIP the Dawngates : (

You can join my Minitroopers army!

Don't you dare quote me!

Don't you dare Rep me neither!

I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 87

Problem with most new mobas ... is the same as all the other cheap mmos have with wow, they want to be '' That game '' they don't try to fill a new niche, they don't try to do something.

With mobas, you can't have 10 that are e-sports, else well.. they're just not e-sports anymore. What makes an e-sport an e-sport is that all the people are watching and hyping the same thing, you can't have an infinity of those, and they can't all have all the population.

Dawngate is more arcade-y so I like it tho.. BUT PLEASE don't make more mobas in the freaking Dota map =-=.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

I like new MOBAs because I like the MOBA gameplay but get bored rather quickly of playing the same heroes and buying the same items. New MOBAs offer me new heroes to mess around with and new strategies to explore.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 619

not another MOBA
    not another WoW clone
    not another Diablo ripoff

ill keep saying it till someone decides to make something unique :P

Currently Playing: TheHunter

>Screenshot Collection 2013-2014<

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 32

I despise MOBA's. With a burning passion! It's fine that the genre is doing well but I would actually like to see a new game being released that isn't a moba more often. Just to spice things up.

Variety makes things more interesting.

42 Reputation: 10

You cant compare mmorpg with moba. In mmorpgs there is human interactions, socializing, dynamic gameplay, huge open worlds and stuff like that.
    While MOBA games they all look , feel and play more or less the same except few exceptions. There is almost usually zero socializing, except for people raging at random players.
    So usually MOBA games gets boring faster then MMORPGs. But I guess it all depends on what people like.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 131

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    COMBO BREAKER!

I quite enjoy Smite. I've played a couple of these moba's, including all the top dogs, but Smite is the only one I have actually found enjoyable.
    Smite is at least trying to deviate from the traditional style though. That fact that you play in a TPS style is proof of that.

As the others have said though, this is just what happens. It happens outside of the game scene too. I'm not sure how much it happens now but there are like 3 competitor models of the same yr(s) that look a shit ton like my Sunfire(or maybe it looks like them..dunno honestly).

Would I love more original online games? Totes. Are we somehow more stagnant than in the past? Not really, except for browser games..I'd honestly say those are stagnating hard sadly. I know why they are mind you, still though...

Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195

There aren't all that many MOBA's in the market when comparing to pretty much every other genre.

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Smite is at least trying to deviate from the traditional style though. That fact that you play in a TPS style is proof of that.

As the others have said though, this is just what happens. It happens outside of the game scene too. I'm not sure how much it happens now but there are like 3 competitor models of the same yr(s) that look a shit ton like my Sunfire(or maybe it looks like them..dunno honestly).

Would I love more original online games? Totes. Are we somehow more stagnant than in the past? Not really, except for browser games..I'd honestly say those are stagnating hard sadly. I know why they are mind you, still though...
    Land of Chaos Online did what SMITE does first. So technically they weren't deviating, they were making that idea better. The games are not alike at all however, because just being 3D doesn't make the games the same. That's not the changes to make MOBAs unique to one another.

Quote Originally Posted by olaph View Post
    There aren't all that many MOBA's in the market when comparing to pretty much every other genre.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Igneius View Post
    I despise MOBA's. With a burning passion! It's fine that the genre is doing well but I would actually like to see a new game being released that isn't a moba more often. Just to spice things up.

Variety makes things more interesting.

Oh you mean the hundreds of MMOs which come out in between the trailers of new MOBAs?
    There hasn't been many MOBAs released at all, just a bunch of trailers saying they're working hard on a game, and perhaps a couple of betas.

You want a variety of games? Go to GamenGame they release an MMO a week.

I really wish to know how many times you see MOBAs being released over other genres of games. I browse these forums as well, and I only see the same discussion topics for LoL, DOTA2, and SMITE and perhaps a couple of times Dawngate pops up. Then tons of months in between Prime World, and Strife were discussed.

Where are these hundreds of repetitive MOBAs you are seeing? Could you list them?

Big companies have been hyping these new MOBAs which are in beta and whatnot, and they've really worked hard on making their MOBA different from the others (Heroes of the Storm, Infinite Crisis). That is exactly what everyone wants to do. They know they can't make another LoL or DOTA, so they add very noticeable mechanics or gimmicks which say, "I can only get this if I play this game." Because the problem with MOBAs is that you do not feel locked down to one character, so you do not feel locked down to one game.

If they want to be very successful, they need players committed to their game alone.
    Every MOBA that is coming out is not being rushed. Actually completely opposite. If MMORPGs put this much time into their betas and interaction with their players, and development, we'd have a lot more commended MMOs like back in the day where games like Anarchy Online, Ragnarok Online, Runescape, Maple Story, Shadowbane, Everquest, Final Fantasy Online, Eve Online, Ultima Online, and etc were the norm.

MOBAs are bringing back that minuscule added detail which allow for complex flexibility if the gamer wants it. Because it is no longer about the characters. It is about the players. It is about You as a person to be successful in the MOBA genre. The hand holding throughout the entire game is no longer there. You're left to fend for yourself and forced to forge relationships to get there.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

RIP the Dawngates : (

You can join my Minitroopers army!

Don't you dare quote me!

Don't you dare Rep me neither!

I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast