Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: "OMG, not another MOBA."

  1. #1
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168
    Songz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Rep Power
    12

    Default "OMG, not another MOBA."

    It's retarded how people on MMORPG forums and Youtube comments are like, "not another MOBA." Yeah, imagine if we said that about every ****ing MMORPG, every racing game, every fighting game, every shooter game, every... are you getting the pattern here? All the same foundation, all the same structure, just different concepts and takes on the games genre, which potentially make them better!

    Look at how many WoW clones there are, and yet there are still games like RIFT which are doing very well!

    Just accept that MOBAs are one of the largest game genres in the world right now, and the market is entirely new. Why would gaming companies just sit back and say, "Eh, LoL and DOTA2 are making millions upon millions of dollars a year, but why make a game like that, lets just make another WoW clone."

    Anyone who has the confidence to be so ignorant to whine and say "not another MOBA", or "why are they making more MOBAs", was clearly depreciated of intelligence as a child. It's the same as saying, "why make money?", "why add more options to play for a brand new genre of game?", "why try to join in the largest growing game genres in the world?"

    You may not have the patience to learn the game in order to have fun, you may have never played and didn't like the look of it, and you may have played, perhaps enjoyed, and then decided it sucks (there are a lot of former Maple Story and Runescape fans here). That is all right! But stop these ignorant one line posts trying to stop video game developers who are trying to give us more options besides LoL or DOTA2. You might not like MOBAs just because of those two games! Why wouldn't you want more games in the genre which have a style of gameplay you enjoy!

    Just because it comes from the same foundation, the same structure, and has to follow the same bit of rules to be considered a MOBA, it does not mean it is the same game!
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

    RIP the Dawngates : (

    You can join my Minitroopers army!


    Don't you dare quote me!

    Don't you dare Rep me neither!

    I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

  2. #2
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    7,977
    Rep Power
    21

    Default

    But they do keep making games that follow the WoW style and the games that came before it. And we got sick of that and that's understandable so why not for MOBA's? There has been a lot of them and it kind of just feels like we are all just waiting on the next big style change wave (although I will say, Orcs Unchained looks fun as hell).

    Then again we get sick of everything. We got tired of Playerworld style games, 2D Side Scrollers, DFO clones, Action games, Diablo Style Games, RO Style Games, etc. We compare them all and complain, that's just how we do man and we've done it for years.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis, https://www.neonmob.com/@sliphatos
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros Wii U/3DS, Fantasy Life, Monster Hunter 4, Splatoon.

  3. #3
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    12
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Two Things about the "Another MOBA" Flames :

    1. Recently a lot of Moba Games came out like Bunnybabys. Most of them are just Garbage but the Creators just want to hop on the "its In" Train.

    2. Most Moba Communities are the pure Horror, mostly because that Genre is packed with younger People ( 10 - 16 Yrs) and we all know the Youth of today.

    I never liked Moba Games, i still dont know what the Letters stand for and i even dont care. I tried once LoL for about a half Day and the Chat was full of Strong Words.

    Never again.

  4. #4
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 99
    Ryukiri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,677
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    OH NO NOT ANOTHER MOBA THREAD

  5. #5
    Heads or Tails Reputation: 43
    sliferx94's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    325
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Its not retarded at all, when developers just keep putting out new MOBAs that really dont innovate at all just same thing with different skin, i'd say it pretty much deserves "Not another MOBA" reaction. Now if its something new then i wouldn't say that, like cyphers online that is actually pretty fun and different. I dont want more chess games with different skin, i want more innovative chess games. Thats my opinion on the whole matter, and other than that.. who cares really just ignore. As Kashis said, same thing with WoW clones when there were tons of mmos just like it, this is no different.

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 257
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,161
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Not another multiplayer online game...

  7. #7
    Rock Man Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Not another game...

  8. #8
    Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    117
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Not another...

  9. #9
    Chrono's Crony Reputation: 133
    markca's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Over there
    Posts
    3,335
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    ano..ther ga.me not moba..
    LeagueofLegends-ChuckleButt


  10. #10
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    COMBO BREAKER!


    I quite enjoy Smite. I've played a couple of these moba's, including all the top dogs, but Smite is the only one I have actually found enjoyable.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  11. #11
    Cingal's Collar Reputation: 27
    Katagiri's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    1,505
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    I really hate MOBAs....

  12. #12
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168
    Songz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sliferx94 View Post
    Its not retarded at all, when developers just keep putting out new MOBAs that really dont innovate at all just same thing with different skin, i'd say it pretty much deserves "Not another MOBA" reaction. Now if its something new then i wouldn't say that, like cyphers online that is actually pretty fun and different. I dont want more chess games with different skin, i want more innovative chess games. Thats my opinion on the whole matter, and other than that.. who cares really just ignore. As Kashis said, same thing with WoW clones when there were tons of mmos just like it, this is no different.
    I've played Dawngate, Prime World, SMITE, League of Legends, DOTA2, and Strife; and none of them feel the same. Mostly because of the Champions. Sometimes I wish I could transfer some champions between games. Then the maps have differences, the items are very import parts of MOBAs and they're different. Even if they don't totally change up the play style of the game, they're different because of these changes which make you prefer some over others.

    What kind of innovation would you want in a MOBA?
    I for one don't like 3D MOBAs like SMITE, I prefer top down. I don't like carriers for items, or a lot of active items in game, so I don't like DOTA and Strife.

    This leaves me with Prime World, League of Legends, and Dawngate. I play Dawngate because their champion pool is amazing, I find them very fun and innovative. Prime World was actually a decent game because you could build your character outside of matches, however I didn't like the maps very much, or the imbalance that building characters outside the matches brought.

    So I can play League of Legends and Dawngate. Sometimes I'm sick of the popular picks in LoL and the extremely team oriented late game strategies. Sometimes I'm sick of the new BM players in Dawngate, or nerfs to champions or items which hurts my favourite picks. I would love to have another game to fall back on if I don't feel like these two.

    Because the competitive nature in MOBAs this allows you to grow in skill as a player, rather than your character just growing. I can't play League and DOTA2 at the same time because of the changes in controls being too different, so I would be unable to play at a high level at both, I'd need to focus on one, and not have the other one screw up my game tactics.

    The differences are outstanding, from little tweaks, to bigger pictures. These are different companies, different games, different tactics, different players, different champions, different items, different maps, different patches, different appeal, different style. They're different.

    What do you want innovated?

    I'm sure all the devs are looking for the next big idea. Cyphers Online might be one of those. I know LoL is very appealing to me because of the ranking system, LCS, and competitive following.

    What would you want to see, that is the question. This is a new genre and the growth is not slowing down. What do you want in your MOBA?

    Do you want to Break the Meta?
    Do you want to fight on the Battlegrounds of Gods?

    What is it, because honestly this genre is not leaving. So stop complaining and start gaming.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

    RIP the Dawngates : (

    You can join my Minitroopers army!


    Don't you dare quote me!

    Don't you dare Rep me neither!

    I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

  13. #13
    Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 87
    DarkAztaroth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,583
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Problem with most new mobas ... is the same as all the other cheap mmos have with wow, they want to be '' That game '' they don't try to fill a new niche, they don't try to do something.

    With mobas, you can't have 10 that are e-sports, else well.. they're just not e-sports anymore. What makes an e-sport an e-sport is that all the people are watching and hyping the same thing, you can't have an infinity of those, and they can't all have all the population.

    Dawngate is more arcade-y so I like it tho.. BUT PLEASE don't make more mobas in the freaking Dota map =-=.

  14. #14
    Rock Man Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    420
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I like new MOBAs because I like the MOBA gameplay but get bored rather quickly of playing the same heroes and buying the same items. New MOBAs offer me new heroes to mess around with and new strategies to explore.

  15. #15
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 829
    Abhorsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    14,936
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    not another MOBA
    not another WoW clone
    not another Diablo ripoff

    ill keep saying it till someone decides to make something unique :P

  16. #16
    Spyros Burning Cough Reputation: 32
    Igneius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    MMO heaven :3
    Posts
    549
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I despise MOBA's. With a burning passion! It's fine that the genre is doing well but I would actually like to see a new game being released that isn't a moba more often. Just to spice things up.

    Variety makes things more interesting.

  17. #17
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 53
    tihi85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Serbia
    Posts
    1,071
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    You cant compare mmorpg with moba. In mmorpgs there is human interactions, socializing, dynamic gameplay, huge open worlds and stuff like that.
    While MOBA games they all look , feel and play more or less the same except few exceptions. There is almost usually zero socializing, except for people raging at random players.
    So usually MOBA games gets boring faster then MMORPGs. But I guess it all depends on what people like.

    RIP Xfire


  18. #18
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 162
    Acreon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Next to my Sony Bravia
    Posts
    5,417
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    COMBO BREAKER!


    I quite enjoy Smite. I've played a couple of these moba's, including all the top dogs, but Smite is the only one I have actually found enjoyable.
    Smite is at least trying to deviate from the traditional style though. That fact that you play in a TPS style is proof of that.

    As the others have said though, this is just what happens. It happens outside of the game scene too. I'm not sure how much it happens now but there are like 3 competitor models of the same yr(s) that look a shit ton like my Sunfire(or maybe it looks like them..dunno honestly).

    Would I love more original online games? Totes. Are we somehow more stagnant than in the past? Not really, except for browser games..I'd honestly say those are stagnating hard sadly. I know why they are mind you, still though...

  19. #19
    Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195
    olaph's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scolding Woodhouse
    Posts
    11,552
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    There aren't all that many MOBA's in the market when comparing to pretty much every other genre.

  20. #20
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 168
    Songz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1,854
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    Smite is at least trying to deviate from the traditional style though. That fact that you play in a TPS style is proof of that.

    As the others have said though, this is just what happens. It happens outside of the game scene too. I'm not sure how much it happens now but there are like 3 competitor models of the same yr(s) that look a shit ton like my Sunfire(or maybe it looks like them..dunno honestly).

    Would I love more original online games? Totes. Are we somehow more stagnant than in the past? Not really, except for browser games..I'd honestly say those are stagnating hard sadly. I know why they are mind you, still though...
    Land of Chaos Online did what SMITE does first. So technically they weren't deviating, they were making that idea better. The games are not alike at all however, because just being 3D doesn't make the games the same. That's not the changes to make MOBAs unique to one another.

    Quote Originally Posted by olaph View Post
    There aren't all that many MOBA's in the market when comparing to pretty much every other genre.
    This.

    Quote Originally Posted by Igneius View Post
    I despise MOBA's. With a burning passion! It's fine that the genre is doing well but I would actually like to see a new game being released that isn't a moba more often. Just to spice things up.

    Variety makes things more interesting.

    Oh you mean the hundreds of MMOs which come out in between the trailers of new MOBAs?
    There hasn't been many MOBAs released at all, just a bunch of trailers saying they're working hard on a game, and perhaps a couple of betas.

    You want a variety of games? Go to GamenGame they release an MMO a week.

    I really wish to know how many times you see MOBAs being released over other genres of games. I browse these forums as well, and I only see the same discussion topics for LoL, DOTA2, and SMITE and perhaps a couple of times Dawngate pops up. Then tons of months in between Prime World, and Strife were discussed.

    Where are these hundreds of repetitive MOBAs you are seeing? Could you list them?

    Big companies have been hyping these new MOBAs which are in beta and whatnot, and they've really worked hard on making their MOBA different from the others (Heroes of the Storm, Infinite Crisis). That is exactly what everyone wants to do. They know they can't make another LoL or DOTA, so they add very noticeable mechanics or gimmicks which say, "I can only get this if I play this game." Because the problem with MOBAs is that you do not feel locked down to one character, so you do not feel locked down to one game.

    If they want to be very successful, they need players committed to their game alone.
    Every MOBA that is coming out is not being rushed. Actually completely opposite. If MMORPGs put this much time into their betas and interaction with their players, and development, we'd have a lot more commended MMOs like back in the day where games like Anarchy Online, Ragnarok Online, Runescape, Maple Story, Shadowbane, Everquest, Final Fantasy Online, Eve Online, Ultima Online, and etc were the norm.

    MOBAs are bringing back that minuscule added detail which allow for complex flexibility if the gamer wants it. Because it is no longer about the characters. It is about the players. It is about You as a person to be successful in the MOBA genre. The hand holding throughout the entire game is no longer there. You're left to fend for yourself and forced to forge relationships to get there.
    Me, Me, Me, GF |&| Me! D;!

    RIP the Dawngates : (

    You can join my Minitroopers army!


    Don't you dare quote me!

    Don't you dare Rep me neither!

    I don't want your petty influences upon my soul!

  21. #21
    Rock Man Reputation: 10
    Inoriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    California
    Posts
    412
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Songz View Post
    Oh you mean the hundreds of MMOs which come out in between the trailers of new MOBAs?
    There hasn't been many MOBAs released at all, just a bunch of trailers saying they're working hard on a game, and perhaps a couple of betas.

    You want a variety of games? Go to GamenGame they release an MMO a week.

    I really wish to know how many times you see MOBAs being released over other genres of games. I browse these forums as well, and I only see the same discussion topics for LoL, DOTA2, and SMITE and perhaps a couple of times Dawngate pops up. Then tons of months in between Prime World, and Strife were discussed.

    Where are these hundreds of repetitive MOBAs you are seeing? Could you list them?

    Big companies have been hyping these new MOBAs which are in beta and whatnot, and they've really worked hard on making their MOBA different from the others (Heroes of the Storm, Infinite Crisis). That is exactly what everyone wants to do. They know they can't make another LoL or DOTA, so they add very noticeable mechanics or gimmicks which say, "I can only get this if I play this game." Because the problem with MOBAs is that you do not feel locked down to one character, so you do not feel locked down to one game.

    If they want to be very successful, they need players committed to their game alone.
    Every MOBA that is coming out is not being rushed. Actually completely opposite. If MMORPGs put this much time into their betas and interaction with their players, and development, we'd have a lot more commended MMOs like back in the day where games like Anarchy Online, Ragnarok Online, Runescape, Maple Story, Shadowbane, Everquest, Final Fantasy Online, Eve Online, Ultima Online, and etc were the norm.

    MOBAs are bringing back that minuscule added detail which allow for complex flexibility if the gamer wants it. Because it is no longer about the characters. It is about the players. It is about You as a person to be successful in the MOBA genre. The hand holding throughout the entire game is no longer there. You're left to fend for yourself and forced to forge relationships to get there.
    Dude, he was just saying his part and stating he feels that more genuine mmos came out. Don't have to get all butthurt when no one agrees with your point, It doesent help it.
    Nobody is born in this world to be alone! -Jaguar D. Saul

    F. Grappler - Lv.23 - Norial --- M. Fighter - Lv.1 - MrMonocle
    F. Gunner - Lv.5 - Ludena --- M. Gunner - Lv.1 - YouWhatMate
    F. Mage - Lv.3 - Inoriana --- M. Mage - Lv.1 - CielPhantom
    Slayer - Lv.5 - Hirashi --- Dark Knight - Lv.2 - Halogens
    Priest - Lv.5 - Janosa --- Thief - Lv.2 - Hali
    Creator - Lv.3 - Magnets

  22. #22
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    People don't really have a problem with new games in an existing genre. They dislike it when developers make bad/clone/uninspired games in that genre just to try to cash in.

    As a result of the latter, people can become a bit jaded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •