Unique Names

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    TheNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Unique Names

    Greetings

    One thing I find very annoying about MMOs is that they require you to have a unique name for your character. You spend a while making your character, getting excited, then you get to the naming part, and spend the next hour trying to think of a good name that's not taken.

    Some games have corrected this, such as Neverwinter and, while not an MMO, starcraft 2, but I think all MMOs should remove this restriction.

    I would like to see other peoples thoughts on this. Is it annoying? Is it really not that big of a deal?

    If possible, the creation a list of MMOs with their naming rules would be great.
    The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed.

  2. #2
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Uhh... so you want everyone to be nameless? I don't get it. This is not a problem. People who play MMO's, after their first or second mmo they play, they have the names they want down. I use the same 4 for every mmo and have a priority level for them (if one is taken, move down the list). Naming my character takes seconds and I imagine it is the same for most everyone lol.

    Naming your character is nothing to gripe about (of all the things to gripe about...). I think you forget that these are mmoRPG's... emphasis on the RPG. It is supposed to be role playing. Your character is supposed to be YOUR character. Thus it needs a name.

  3. #3
    Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10
    PoorGamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    125
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Uhh... so you want everyone to be nameless? I don't get it. This is not a problem. People who play MMO's, after their first or second mmo they play, they have the names they want down. I use the same 4 for every mmo and have a priority level for them (if one is taken, move down the list). Naming my character takes seconds and I imagine it is the same for most everyone lol.

    Naming your character is nothing to gripe about (of all the things to gripe about...). I think you forget that these are mmoRPG's... emphasis on the RPG. It is supposed to be role playing. Your character is supposed to be YOUR character. Thus it needs a name.
    Pretty much what I do, although I often make up random names for the heck of it.

  4. #4
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Well, by the Logic of "its an RPG, so roleplay a bit and think of a Name" i dont see any reason why Names need to be Unique.
    Thats only a Technical Limitation of Online Games, in Roleplaying and in Real Life there are also lots of People with the same Names.

    You cant Whisper to Legolas if there are 500 People called Legolas, so there is Starcraft 2 who allows anyone the BattleTag Legolas by adding a Number after it Legolas#1234... but that would be pretty weird in a Fantasy Setting MMORPG?

    i cant think of a good Solution for that, but i also dont see it as a big Problem. If Legolas is already taken just take Gandalf.

  5. #5
    Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10
    amalager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Yup, I know it's annoying to find out that your would-be name is already taken so I make it a point to use weird names like "Amalager" which is read as "I'm a Lagger".

  6. #6
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253
    HamsterMascot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamsterville
    Posts
    12,864
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Look, that you can't call your character Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sasuke, because some other "creative" genius already made it, doesn't mean you should be able to name it the same. The only thing I dislike are the Firstname/Surname games, cause you have too many idiots using the same first or surname...

  7. #7
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    5,725
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    After game-hopping for a few years you start accumulating a long list of usable in-game names
    Maple
    Maplesyrup
    Mayplesyrup
    Maplesyrup42
    Phenoca
    Revive Is OP
    Hornet
    Sola Topee
    Attack on Nexus
    Faker Fangirl
    etc.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

  8. #8
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    7
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    Look, that you can't call your character Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sasuke, because some other "creative" genius already made it, doesn't mean you should be able to name it the same. The only thing I dislike are the Firstname/Surname games, cause you have too many idiots using the same first or surname...
    Thats weird, what do you say in real life then?
    WHAT, YOUR NAME IS ALSO SMITH?! You.... Idiot!!

    Really, in Games with First/Surname its only normal that some People share the same Names.

    There are 1000 Warriors with the same Epic Gear as you, there are 1000 Mages with the same Spells.
    So, Nothing is "unique" in those "RPGs" they could just give anyone a Number... Mage #1, Mage #987.

  9. #9
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,672
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mili View Post
    There are 1000 Warriors with the same Epic Gear as you, there are 1000 Mages with the same Spells.
    Which is why customization is a very important feature for some players. If the game doesn't allow you to be unique with your gear or build, you at least have your name.

  10. #10
    Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 15
    PencilTrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    101
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    There can be only one PencilTrick.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •