Thread: Unique Names

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Unique Names

Greetings

One thing I find very annoying about MMOs is that they require you to have a unique name for your character. You spend a while making your character, getting excited, then you get to the naming part, and spend the next hour trying to think of a good name that's not taken.

Some games have corrected this, such as Neverwinter and, while not an MMO, starcraft 2, but I think all MMOs should remove this restriction.

I would like to see other peoples thoughts on this. Is it annoying? Is it really not that big of a deal?

If possible, the creation a list of MMOs with their naming rules would be great.
    The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed.

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

Uhh... so you want everyone to be nameless? I don't get it. This is not a problem. People who play MMO's, after their first or second mmo they play, they have the names they want down. I use the same 4 for every mmo and have a priority level for them (if one is taken, move down the list). Naming my character takes seconds and I imagine it is the same for most everyone lol.

Naming your character is nothing to gripe about (of all the things to gripe about...). I think you forget that these are mmoRPG's... emphasis on the RPG. It is supposed to be role playing. Your character is supposed to be YOUR character. Thus it needs a name.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Uhh... so you want everyone to be nameless? I don't get it. This is not a problem. People who play MMO's, after their first or second mmo they play, they have the names they want down. I use the same 4 for every mmo and have a priority level for them (if one is taken, move down the list). Naming my character takes seconds and I imagine it is the same for most everyone lol.

Naming your character is nothing to gripe about (of all the things to gripe about...). I think you forget that these are mmoRPG's... emphasis on the RPG. It is supposed to be role playing. Your character is supposed to be YOUR character. Thus it needs a name.
    Pretty much what I do, although I often make up random names for the heck of it.

Well, by the Logic of "its an RPG, so roleplay a bit and think of a Name" i dont see any reason why Names need to be Unique.
    Thats only a Technical Limitation of Online Games, in Roleplaying and in Real Life there are also lots of People with the same Names.

You cant Whisper to Legolas if there are 500 People called Legolas, so there is Starcraft 2 who allows anyone the BattleTag Legolas by adding a Number after it Legolas#1234... but that would be pretty weird in a Fantasy Setting MMORPG?

i cant think of a good Solution for that, but i also dont see it as a big Problem. If Legolas is already taken just take Gandalf.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

Yup, I know it's annoying to find out that your would-be name is already taken so I make it a point to use weird names like "Amalager" which is read as "I'm a Lagger".

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Look, that you can't call your character Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sasuke, because some other "creative" genius already made it, doesn't mean you should be able to name it the same. The only thing I dislike are the Firstname/Surname games, cause you have too many idiots using the same first or surname...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 212

After game-hopping for a few years you start accumulating a long list of usable in-game names
    Maple
    Maplesyrup
    Mayplesyrup
    Maplesyrup42
    Phenoca
    Revive Is OP
    Hornet
    Sola Topee
    Attack on Nexus
    Faker Fangirl
    etc.

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    Look, that you can't call your character Uzumaki Naruto or Uchiha Sasuke, because some other "creative" genius already made it, doesn't mean you should be able to name it the same. The only thing I dislike are the Firstname/Surname games, cause you have too many idiots using the same first or surname...
    Thats weird, what do you say in real life then?
    WHAT, YOUR NAME IS ALSO SMITH?! You.... Idiot!!

Really, in Games with First/Surname its only normal that some People share the same Names.

There are 1000 Warriors with the same Epic Gear as you, there are 1000 Mages with the same Spells.
    So, Nothing is "unique" in those "RPGs" they could just give anyone a Number... Mage #1, Mage #987.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Mili View Post
    There are 1000 Warriors with the same Epic Gear as you, there are 1000 Mages with the same Spells.
    Which is why customization is a very important feature for some players. If the game doesn't allow you to be unique with your gear or build, you at least have your name.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 15

There can be only one PencilTrick.

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 233

There is only one SourChicken. Except that one guy who copied my name, and used it in a few places, and often tries to recover my accounts because he thinks they're his.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Uhh... so you want everyone to be nameless?
    That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is that anyone should be able to use whatever name they want, so you would still have a name.

Neverwinter already showed that it can be done, so every mmo should change to this system. That way everyone is happy. If you have your special name that you like, you can still use it, but those that want a more common name can also get what they want.

but as someone said, how on earth do you invite someone long distance to a party? How do you whisper someone when they are not right in front of you? You would have to do a /tell <name> or something like that where you MUST use their name, but if there are 20 people with the same name...

Also, having a unique name is cool in the aspect that certain people can become famous or infamous. Like "don't group with Joe because he steals loot!" Well with 100 people named Joe, you can't warn people .

Or "Killer is one of the best healers I have ever grouped with from the guild XYZ." With 200 people named Killer, no one would know unless they saw everyone's guild.

All in all, the unique name thing is never an issue I have ever heard MMO players complain about ever in the history of forever. I highly doubt it isn't a problem that really needs a solution. Just be a little creative :P.

And if you are playing a fantasy game and all you can come up with is Joe (or other super generic name that is probably taken) well.... I am sorry...

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Super-helpful guide to naming your characters
    Step 1: Slam your face on the keyboard. Roll around depending on how long you want your name to be. Example: hyjgtvngfrdt
    Step 2: Add a space or two to separate first and last names. Don't forget to capitalize! Example: Hyjgt vn Gfrdt
    Step 3: Add vowels. Example: Hyjgat von Gofredt
    Step 4: Enjoy your new character's name!

42 Reputation: 57

I can be Athene and WowHobbs and you can too! Screw typical and logical naming conventions in games, i want to be the same butterfly as everyone else! Maybe i can scam some fools out of their candy by having the same name as their friends and asking if i can borrow some currency, or party with them and greed all the loot!

It's logic that their's a need for unique names...

This is disappointing. I thought people would be more supportive of this. I don't remember the specifics of how it worked, but an MMO, Neverwinter, has already proved that it can be done and works. All arguments against the functionality of it, or its potential to be exploited are voided by this games existence. I don't like it when people argue against a win-win solution to a problem.

It's Illogical for a game to require unique names...

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

I liked the way Champions Online handled character naming. You are mainly identified by your usertag, so you could have whatever name (that wasn't blocked by copyright issues) you wanted, even if its a common one that other people had. Lots of people would have similar names and and it would appear on your buddy list as Sandstorm@user1 and Sandstorm@user2.

42 Reputation: 57

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    This is disappointing. I thought people would be more supportive of this. I don't remember the specifics of how it worked, but an MMO, Neverwinter, has already proved that it can be done and works. All arguments against the functionality of it, or its potential to be exploited are voided by this games existence. I don't like it when people argue against a win-win solution to a problem.

It's Illogical for a game to require unique names...
    You hate it when people point out obvious flaws in your thinking and use logic, good on ya! Never Winter uses the same system as Champions Online, which the person beneath you, Sandstorm, explains.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 383

depending on how i feel about the game(such as if i actually plan to roleplay) i'll use a serious name.
    but for majority(planetside will be the example here.) i use joke names.
    One being Jumbleofletters To poke fun at spam bots/gold sellers.

if you want a game that doesn't require a unique name, might wanna stick to single player games.

I feel like there is some trolling going on. I've used logical arguments that directly address the points raised by others. Their replies just seem to be attacks against me, no actual arguments are raised. It was argued that it would be difficult to implement, and that it could be abused by scammers. These seem to be the only two points actually made, and I addressed both by stating that Neverwinter, and Champions Online it seems, do not require unique names, it is functional, and it is not abused.
    Explain to me how that is illogical.
    I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it. Removal of the requirement for unique names would not affect their play experience at all, and improve mine.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 16

Removal of the requirement for unique names would not affect their play experience at all, and improve mine.
    It would indeed affect the experience of a game for many people. There are already a lot of valid points in the topic, and I haven't read all of the posts. Whether you want to accept them personally is up to you.

Spyroís Burning Cough Reputation: 45

I feel like there is some trolling going on. I've used logical arguments that directly address the points raised by others. Their replies just seem to be attacks against me, no actual arguments are raised. It was argued that it would be difficult to implement, and that it could be abused by scammers. These seem to be the only two points actually made, and I addressed both by stating that Neverwinter, and Champions Online it seems, do not require unique names, it is functional, and it is not abused.
    Explain to me how that is illogical.
    I don't know why people are getting so worked up about it. Removal of the requirement for unique names would not affect their play experience at all, and improve mine.
    Im not sure if its been said your so i apologize if so. But The unique name thing is something that i think should stay while you say it wont affect our play experience i disagree. i dont speak for everyone only myself. But in video games like World of warcraft not so much anymore but in the past names were a big thing if you were a good player everyone knew your name on your server people would follow you around people would name hunter pets after you people would go crazy for you. back durning TBC there was a player by the name of Ironis First person on our server to get a glaive people went crazy when he was walking around sometimes he would hide it so he didnt have everyone following him but anyone that was paying attention knew who he was by his name. Now there are people who would throw money at him just to play with him to run instance with him. if you were to let everyone have the same name it would be abused you keep pointing out neverwinter does it but your not Explaining how its done. your just saying Hey these guys do it and they are making it work. I disagree with you is all im trying to say i think it should be kept. but at the end its all opinions really

lol and this still goes on. I will throw more into this though. You realize that many players want their name. They want to be the one and only <Insert name here>. And as stated many times before, I will put it in caps to make sure it is read. ANY MMO PLAYER HAS THE NAMES THEY WANT AFTER THE FIRST OR SECOND MMO THEY TRY. IT IS NO ONE'S FAULT BUT YOUR OWN IF YOU HAVE TO SIT AT CHARACTER SELECTION FOR HOURS BECAUSE YOU CAN'T NAME. It is not surprising to me at all that everyone disagrees with getting rid of unique names.

And what about guild heavy mmos? You want a guild full of Bobs? No, when I play and mmo, I am my name (left out to protect it :P) and no one else can be that name!!!! You keep trying to throw "logic" into this, but that is not the point! No one is after "logic," they are after protecting their names, and their characters. They want to be the one and only. Simple as that.

Detective Kirby Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by Hansel-sama View Post
    Super-helpful guide to naming your characters
    Step 1: Slam your face on the keyboard. Roll around depending on how long you want your name to be. Example: hyjgtvngfrdt
    Step 2: Add a space or two to separate first and last names. Don't forget to capitalize! Example: Hyjgt vn Gfrdt
    Step 3: Add vowels. Example: Hyjgat von Gofredt
    Step 4: Enjoy your new character's name!
    You, sir, are a Genius! I'll give this a try.

Well, I got what I wanted from this. I wanted to know other peoples thoughts on this matter, and now I do.
    This will be my last post on this thread.