Virgin Mary looks a little...pink

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Default Virgin Mary looks a little...pink

OK, let's just forget the fact that the most popular depiction of Jesus Christ is the most historically inaccurate one to the point of being hilarious on a historical level for a moment. Don't even get me started. Let's talk about Mary.

Does anyone notice that Virgin Mary looks like the princess of Midland from Berserk in most of her depictions?

It's hilarious, and that's one of the pictures where she looks almost Human.

In this one, she looks a little bit more real, but still. Not to diss classical art or anything, nor the Bible, but...really? I always liked to imagine that Virgin Mary looked a bit more like this:

That's not really the picture I wanted to use, but I couldn't find the old one I actually found on the Firefall forums one day. Idk. I guess I sort of expect her to look more like a Middle Eastern woman or something.

I assume it was much like for the same reason we have a White Mary. Some Renaissance artists wanted to make Mary look the way THEY imagined she would look in their paintings: A beautiful, young, Italian woman. Then the Catholic church or someone came along and wanted to make her look more like how THEY imagined her: The same but more White. And then due to colonialism and what-not, that became the most popular image of Mary.

Please excuse me if I sound ignorant. I just felt like ranting for some reason. At any rate, it most likely has somethin to do with the art style back then when the paintings were made. They have a very vintage fee and lookl to them, especially the first one.

More on the topic of the manga and anime of Berserk, I wonder if it was intentional? Since they BOTH were at some point virgins, after all.
    Last edited by Glace1221; 06-21-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

If you look at jewish people they are white. I do agree though that they aint that white. I would think the great mary would be a little darker but who knows?
    Im not crazy you are crazy! Any ways you show me love i will show you love. Cant we just get along and some peace for once

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

Quote Originally Posted by not.all.there View Post
    If you look at jewish people they are white.
    that's... not necessarily true
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Quote Originally Posted by not.all.there View Post
    If you look at jewish people they are white. I do agree though that they aint that white. I would think the great mary would be a little darker but who knows?
    It depends on where they're from.

I'm not to clear on Mary's ancestry. You've got to remember just because Mary lived in a certain apart of the world, does not mean that she was born there, or her parents were, or their parents were. I haven't looked into it because I don't really give a shit, but I'm willing to guess that there's nothing but blanks where Mary (or her husbands) ancestry is concerned.

Also,

This gives Mary a darker complextion. The light from her chest kinda makes her look more white/pale, though. However, I'm pretty sure she's throwing up a Buddhist gang sign.

Edit: Did some research.

Prior to moving to Nazareth, Mary and Joseph lived in Bethlehem, which is Mary's hometown. Assuming that the general looks of the people have stayed the same over 2,000 years (**** if I know), here's an example of a Palestinian woman.

And here's an image representing a decent spectrum of what woman in Isreal (where Nazareth is located). Again, no idea if that's how they looked back in the day.

From my best guesstimate, it seems like the way Mary is portrayed isn't to far off from the mark. Her skin color is within the spectrum, and her eyes appear to be the normal brown from that part of the world. Her hair as well. The only thing that's iffy, in only a few cases, is skin color. And even then, in my opinion, in more than a few cases that's due to the "Holy Light" illuminating her.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 06-21-2014 at 05:32 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Lol. I was just thinking that it kind of looked like Mary was throwing up some gang sign, but I didn't say anything.

But, yeah. That's a lot of variety there. Honestly, I don't even think the problem with how she looks in the paintings isn't even that she looks too white, but that she looks unrealistic. I guess the problem is that there's so many different pictures of Jesus, some of which looks kind of convincing on the realism scale, but the pictures of Mary don't see the deviate at all, most of the time.

Also, that holy light must be pretty friggin' bright to make Mary look THAT light...but then again, it is, the light, of God!

This has been...eh, kind of educational, so far.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by Glace1221 View Post
    Also, that holy light must be pretty friggin' bright to make Mary look THAT light...but then again, it is, the light, of God!
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 577
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

paintings don't have to be realistic tho

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Also, I would suggest all of you google "Isreal woman" or women. You wont regret it.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Trust me, I've already spent hours googling Israel women. Have a full gallery of them...that's not perverted, is it?

EDIT: Sorry, I was thinking of Arabic. I must've missed this one. Now I'm gonna have a gallery of hot soldier girls.

Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel / to that sweet-ass Israel
    Last edited by Glace1221; 06-22-2014 at 04:16 AM.

call me chicken strips Reputation: 500

there are lots and lots and lots lots lots lots and lots and LOTS and lots and lots of reasons why Mother Mary is historically depicted the way she is, in addition to all the other ways she is depicted.

since this topic has diverted to sexist comments about israeli women and jerking off to arabic women, I am closing it.

Reading: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (50%)
    Last read: A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.