Ridge Racer: Driftopia to be shut down at end of beta

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 447

Default Ridge Racer: Driftopia to be shut down at end of beta

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/06/21/fr...t-end-of-beta/

Bandai Namco's free-to-play - sorry *vomits* free-to-drift - racing game Ridge Racer Driftopia's year-long beta will come to an end in around 60 days. Normally that would be the time when a game graduates from beta to, er, 'the one after beta', otherwise known as 'released'. That's not happening here: Namco Bandai Namco (delete as applicable) have announced that they're to take the project offline instead. By August 15th, Driftopia's servers will be shut down, while its Steam Early Access page will presumably be Old Yellered in the back of the head. Given the staggering number of negative reviews on that linked page, I shan't think people are going to miss it.
    Bandai Namco delivered the news as confusingly as possible, stating that "Ridge Racer Driftopia's open beta will be finished in 60 days," and that "by August 15th, servers will be turned off and the game will no longer be in Early Access". The ambiguous wording offers a glimmer of hope (if indeed hope is the right word) that the beta might return in some form - however, a post on the official Ridge Racer fan Facebook page is much less ambiguous, suggesting that any feedback gathered during the beta will be put towards existing or future games, rather than this one:

"The spin-off and first free-to-play game of the RIDGE RACER series has been made available in September 2013 with an early access on PC Steam.

"We thank all the players who joined the Open Beta for their participation, support and dedication. Your feedbacks will be invested in our existing and upcoming projects to deliver you thrilling and exiting experiences.

"From June 19th, all in game purchases will be disabled. Previously purchased content will remain available in-game until August 15th. By August 15th, servers will be turned off and the game will no longer be available."

Here's hoping that, if Ridge Racer does return as a free-to-play game someday, Bandai Namco and Bugbear manage to do so without alienating quite so much of the series' vocal fanbase. (Thanks, RPS.)

Game List Master Reputation: 146

Sad to see there is not many racing mmorpgs out there

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 50

All they had to do was change their shit F2P model.

If I remember right you'd crash your car once and, depending on its rarity, have to blow a bunch of repair cards or lose it forever. Out of repairs? Time to bust out the wallet or lose all the time you spent leveling that vehicle.
    You'd be given a few for free every day but they wouldn't cover the cost of a single crash for the higher tier cars.

Luigi’s Pizza Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by KEV1N View Post

If I remember right you'd crash your car once and, depending on its rarity, have to blow a bunch of repair cards or lose it forever. Out of repairs? Time to bust out the wallet or lose all the time you spent leveling that vehicle.
    You'd be given a few for free every day but they wouldn't cover the cost of a single crash for the higher tier cars.
    Hmmm, that doesn't seem fair, I mean it's a racing game that allows you to drift and racing games where you can drift means the higher the chance that you crash onto some wall or obstacle. If it's just crashing cars, I'd go for Asphalt 8

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by KEV1N View Post

You do realize Star Citizen is basically the same, right? But with starships and pay/buy to play model iirc? (In Star Citizen, when you don't have insurance, you actually lose your ship entirely. With insurance, you respawn with a badly damaged one. It's unknown whether or not you gain a buff to get away from Open World PVP, but it's doubtful. So be prepared to lose ships constantly.)
    Last edited by coldReactive; 06-22-2014 at 05:54 AM.

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next · Saving For: PlayStation 4

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 50

Quote Originally Posted by amalager View Post
    Hmmm, that doesn't seem fair, I mean it's a racing game that allows you to drift and racing games where you can drift means the higher the chance that you crash onto some wall or obstacle. If it's just crashing cars, I'd go for Asphalt 8

You're right, it's bollocks. Also, the ghost cars you race against are solid and if you hit them you bounce off as if your car has no weight. If you're boosting though you'll drive through them as if they weren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    You do realize Star Citizen is basically the same, right? But with starships and pay/buy to play model iirc? (In Star Citizen, when you don't have insurance, you actually lose your ship entirely. With insurance, you respawn with a badly damaged one. It's unknown whether or not you gain a buff to get away from Open World PVP, but it's doubtful. So be prepared to lose ships constantly.)
    I haven't played Star Citizen.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 238

hate reading any pc gamer review ... because of their unneeded stupid jokes in between...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Spyro’s Burning Cough Reputation: 22

Well... now bugbear can use all their concentration on "next car game"
    Last edited by TheApe; 06-24-2014 at 09:22 PM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

Isn't that the online racing game in which you didn't actually race other players? You basically raced ghosts created by other players?
    If so. Nothing of value has been lost.

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by TheApe View Post
    Well... now bugbear can use all their concentration on "next car game"
    Those car physics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast