Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 57

Thread: As a PC gamer, I am realizing the benefits of consoles.

  1. #26
    Game Journalist Reputation: 95
    Abubakr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    5,588
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Wii U gets 60fps.

  2. #27
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    What's really sad is some developers, like Ubisoft and 2K, seem to be purposely gimping the PC versions of their games in order to promote new gen consoles.

    The most recent is the leak of quality reduction of The Division.
    http://whatifgaming.com/the-division...d-a-few-things
    Last edited by FarmerM; 06-25-2014 at 05:36 AM.

  3. #28
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Ubisoft needs to work more on fixing uplay than worrying about making games look better on PC.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  4. #29
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    I think you misunderstood.
    The games look great but are downgraded so they aren't better than the console version. Even when WatchDogs and the Division were supposedly developed as PC being the primary platform.

  5. #30
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I think you misunderstood.
    The games look great but are downgraded so they aren't better than the console version. Even when WatchDogs and the Division were supposedly developed as PC being the primary platform.
    Not seeing a problem if everyone is getting the same game.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  6. #31
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    They release promotional material and gameplay footage showing the original, better graphics. They then reduce said graphics way into the pre-order phase.

    For Watch Dogs they didn't even say it had been done until players called them on it. Only then did they say it was due to "stability issues." Which was proven to be a load of crap after a player found and activated the improved settings still in the code.

    So, the problem is they're showing and selling it as superior but pulling it out so that in the end consoles don't look weaker.

    So in addition to pulling what some consider to be a major scam, they're shooting PC gaming in the knee by not allowing it to show it's strengths.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 06-25-2014 at 07:39 AM.

  7. #32
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    They release promotional material and gameplay footage showing the original, better graphics. They then reduce said graphics way into the pre-order phase.

    For Watch Dogs they didn't even say it had been done until players called them on it. Only then did they say it was due to "stability issues." Which was proven to be a load of crap after a player found and activated the improved settings still in the code.

    So, the problem is they're showing and selling it as superior but pulling it out so that in the end consoles don't look weaker.

    So in addition to pulling what some consider to be a major scam, they're shooting PC gaming in the knee by not allowing it to show it's strengths.
    That's not a big deal. I'd rather them fix uplay. Day one people were having problems and couldn't even play the game because of it (not to mention just other crappy stuff about it like not being able to change your id). That's a lot more important than them "hiding" super graphics for PC users.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-25-2014 at 08:18 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  8. #33
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    No one's arguing that uplay doesn't suck. It's just not the topic were discussing.

  9. #34
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    No one's arguing that uplay doesn't suck. It's just not the topic were discussing.
    Right, you're talking about how PC users get shafted when it comes to graphics on certain games, which isn't something new. But then again, if your point is that PC users are getting shafted by not being able to play games at their full potential, isn't it a benefit to just get a console then since most games are being tailor made to suit them and not PC? Especially when you can get a console a lot cheaper than a solid gaming PC actually capable of playing games at their maximum potential, which isn't even taken in to consideration a lot of times?

    Where is the real benefit of playing on PC when consoles are become more capable and developers are not aiming any higher than them?
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  10. #35
    HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204
    FarmerM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,263
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    That's the point. Despite PCs having more potential. Developers are catering to consoles and gimping their products. Which results in the question- "Where is the real benefit of playing on PC?"

    It's a question that they literally force you to ask. It's a question that makes a lot of money.

    The opposite could easily be true, big developers could focus primarily on PC and tone down graphics so they would function on consoles.
    It would greatly speed up the evolution of PC gaming. With increased focus things would be more powerful/more efficient. However then people would ask "Where is the real benefit of playing on Console?"

    And that's a question that would lose a ton of $$.

    It's not about what's best. It's not about what people want. It's about what makes more money. And that sucks.

  11. #36
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    That's the point. Despite PCs having more potential. Developers are catering to consoles and gimping their products. Which results in the question- "Where is the real benefit of playing on PC?"

    It's a question that they literally force you to ask. It's a question that makes a lot of money.

    The opposite could easily be true, big developers could focus primarily on PC and tone down graphics so they would function on consoles.
    It would greatly speed up the evolution of PC gaming. With increased focus things would be more powerful/more efficient. However then people would ask "Where is the real benefit of playing on Console?"

    And that's a question that would lose a ton of $$.

    It's not about what's best. It's not about what people want. It's about what makes more money. And that sucks.
    Most people don't care about having the top of the line graphics though. Only small portion of gamers care about that.

    *is playing Watch Dogs on PS3 as we speak*
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-25-2014 at 09:26 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  12. #37
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,374
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    ITT:
    People who actually believe that decisions on how games work aren't entirely and solely dependent on how much money they bring in through sales/time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Where is the real benefit of playing on PC when consoles are become more capable and developers are not aiming any higher than them?
    Consoles are capable as in: A quater of the pixels at less than half the speed, which amounts to about a tenth of the performance.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-25-2014 at 11:27 AM.

    Stay frosty.

  13. #38
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    ITT:
    People who actually believe that decisions on how games work aren't entirely and solely dependent on how much money they bring in through sales/time.

    Consoles are capable as in: A quater of the pixels at less than half the speed, which amounts to about a tenth of the performance.
    Sure, okay.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr View Post
    Wii U gets 60fps.
    Looking forward to Bayonetta 2.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-25-2014 at 11:48 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  14. #39
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,374
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Sure, okay.
    Lol, we haven't even started to talk about anti-alising on consoles.

    See, there is the argument that some people just don't care. That's fine. There is no argument that consoles are in the PC world what a Fiat Punto is in the car world. They will get you there somehow. They do run games, somehow. Loads of people find them good enough.

    There is only one benefit and that's the price. You pay what you get and that is a unrecognizable gimped PC.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-25-2014 at 03:52 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  15. #40
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Posts
    1,298
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Most people don't care about having the top of the line graphics though. Only small portion of gamers care about that.

    *is playing Watch Dogs on PS3 as we speak*
    Uhhhhh.... I feel like saying only a small portion care about graphics is a underestimate. Sure, the portion maybe be smaller than the casual gaming group but it is still rather large.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  16. #41
    Phantom's Freak Reputation: 83
    M1nGs3N4yuk1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Behind You
    Posts
    2,505
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    IMO the fact that Minecraft is as popular as it is says that most people won't care about graphics as long as the gameplay is good enough.
    Minecraft was the first of its kind so people were less choosy in that genre. (Not like they have much of a choice) Now if you have a thousand racing games to choose from, graphics would start to matter.

  17. #42
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Posts
    1,298
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    IMO the fact that Minecraft is as popular as it is says that most people won't care about graphics as long as the gameplay is good enough.
    and yet everyone and their mother downloads the texture packs and other graphic enhancing mods. I also mentioned casual plebs don't mind.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  18. #43
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    i never download any of that stuff. in fact, i usually lower the settings on games

  19. #44
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Lol, we haven't even started to talk about anti-alising on consoles.

    See, there is the argument that some people just don't care. That's fine. There is no argument that consoles are in the PC world what a Fiat Punto is in the car world. They will get you there somehow. They do run games, somehow. Loads of people find them good enough.

    There is only one benefit and that's the price. You pay what you get and that is a unrecognizable gimped PC.
    Sure, ok.

    Most people don't drive luxury/sports cars to work everyday. Most of the time, everyone is going to be following the speed limit. PC gamers are stuck in this traffic jam just like everyone else, they are just too busy yelling to notice they are also a part of it.

    Cities are not designed with the limitations of speed demons in mind. A beautiful car is nice to look at, but it's sole function is still just a car. I'm a lot more concerned with having something that is reliable and cheap that will last years, that something that is pretty much just going to depreciate in value over and be outclassed by something next year.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Uhhhhh.... I feel like saying only a small portion care about graphics is a underestimate. Sure, the portion maybe be smaller than the casual gaming group but it is still rather large.
    It only seems large because of the amount of complaining PC gamers do. The visual improvements of MMO's have come a long way and yet their gameplay is still stuck in early 2000. As visually impressive as TERA, GW2, and even FFXIV are, they still pretty average when it comes to actual gameplay, which is why everyone is constantly criticizing them. And the last time (and almost every time for that matter) when people were asked, "What are some of the best MMORGPG's?" Ragnarok online is the top choice almost all the time. I'll tell you what is almost never nominated though: anything new.

    Graphics are the least important aspect of gaming, and the people who focus on that are missing out on the point of gaming in general. But hey, what do I know? I'm just sitting here like a peasant enjoying my games while everyone else is complaining about not being able to use their futuristic machines to stream and record every game in colors outside our visible spectrum. I guess I got it wrong.

    I'm so sad over here, having all this fun. *o*;
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-25-2014 at 10:44 PM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  20. #45
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,374
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    @Kashis:
    Aside from the jam analogy just not working:
    Thanks to people who think consoles are innovative, we still have games with savepoints in 2014.

    Innovation ought to be the last argument for consoles ever. Cover based shooting? Quick time events? That isn't innovation, that is just the result of controllers being inadequate for doing anything that requires the least amount of dexterity.

    The only innovative thing that comes to my mind when I think about consoles is Guitar Hero. That only happened, because controller input is so limiting, that console devs permanently struggle to find a desperate way to fix it. Well, that worked; Exactly once.
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-26-2014 at 12:24 AM.

    Stay frosty.

  21. #46
    Hoshigami Reputation: 435
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,144
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    @Kashis:
    Aside from the jam analogy just not working:
    Thanks to people who think consoles are innovative, we still have games with savepoints in 2014.

    Innovation ought to be the last argument for consoles ever. Cover based shooting? Quick time events? That isn't innovation, that is just the result of controllers being inadequate for doing anything that requires the least amount of dexterity.

    The only innovative thing that comes to my mind when I think about consoles is Guitar Hero. That only happened, because controller input is so limiting, that console devs permanently struggle to find a desperate way to fix it. Well, that worked; Exactly once.
    Save points are intentional, designed to be checkpoints. Not every game has em and plenty of console games utilize auto/instant/menu saving or none at all.

    No innovation from console gaming other than Guitar Hero? Wow, okay.

    PC master race 1, Console Peasants 0.

    (...not really)
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  22. #47
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Posts
    1,298
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    Nah, that's definitely the minority dude.

    Besides, let's be honest. Casuals are the majority anyway.
    You're absolutely correct; we should focus all our efforts on making minecraft and bejeweled games cause casuals.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  23. #48
    Marineking's Minion Reputation: 372
    hian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    JAAAPAAAAAN
    Posts
    2,972
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    One factor that I think has a large impact on why people choose to game on consoles, is simplicity.
    Consoles are cheap, and simple. Cheap computers don't usually allow you to play current-gen games optimally anyway, and computers come with heaps of technical issues due to the vast amount of variables that go into the functioning of said computer in relation to all the software that is running on it.

    Case in point, not a single computer I have ever owned lasted even close to as long as the PS2 without technical issues of one kind or another - actually, I never had technical issues with that machine even once.
    An oh-so-expensive gaming computer that optimally runs all the current-gen games can still get bogged down by whatever else you happen to have on it, get viruses, crash due to errors caused by the interplay between various components, and/or incompatible software/hardware components. And, that's likely to happen, because you're probably going to use it for more than just gaming.
    Now, granted that you have "teh l33t" and thus aren't bothered by issues like these, chances are you're spending quite some time and effort making sure those things don't happen. Something which many people probably can't be bothered to do, if all they really want is just to play the latest FIFA.

    With a console, all you have to do is plug it in, turn it on, and play your games. The rest is self-explanatory, and requires absolutely no maintenance except for not throwing it out the window, or stomping on it in anger once you lose a round of COD online.

    As far as I am concerned that's a major plus right there.

    All that being said, I prefer handhelds.
    I have a computer, and a console that I could game on. I don't however. All my gaming is now confined to my PS Vita, or my Xperia Play, because they're 100% hassle-free, and can be used anywhere without any concern for anything except battery-life(which is still only an issue if I'm far away from an electrical outlet, or don't have my portable charger with me).

    And before anyone goes "omg what abuut da graphics" - I don't give two shits about graphics and never have. I still think Metal Gear Solid 1 is the best game in the entire MGS saga, and get more willies from the art direction in games like FF7-9, Suikoden 2, Breath of Fire 3-4 then I could ever get from games like the Last of Us, or GTA5, because I'm not stupid and is therefore capable of seeing the visual merits of art beyond how many pixels they comprise of.
    People who have an issue with that kind of thinking should be oblivious to why people still read books, or old cartoons. Usually they're not, which is why I'm forced to conclude that their capacity for making informed opinions on the nature of reality is severely dysfunctional.
    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

  24. #49
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,850
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    as i said before, i like the pc mostly because it can run more games than all of the consoles ever made, put together. and with emulation, you can run most console exclusives as well.

    like you, i don't really care about incredible levels of graphical fidelity or whatever. i'd take the beautiful environments in ff7's midgar over the shitty looking (but probably technically impressive) blandness of ff13 any day. it's a good thing then, that i can play ff7 on pc.

    as for the rest, like you, i never had any problems with any consoles ps2 or earlier, but i've had two 360s, one of which had to be replaced and the other one doesn't work all that great anymore. i'm pretty sure both problems were caused by overheating. on pc, you can fairly easily observe and control heating issues, ensuring yr system will last longer.

    i don't think you can really compare handhelds and pcs. handhelds are fine if yr extremely busy and on the go, and just want something reasonably simple to chill out with for a little while, but you can't play baldur's gate 2 or shogun 2 total war on em.

    edit: well, you can actually play bg2 on ipad now ;P , but it's an inferior experience
    Last edited by postrook; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.

  25. #50
    GRADSCHOOLISHARD Reputation: 781
    Xenonight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    www.onrpg.com
    Posts
    14,378
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    my mac is pretty sick at gaming.

    for games that are support mac, anyway

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •