As a PC gamer, I am realizing the benefits of consoles.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
  1. #51
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 327
    hian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    JAAAPAAAAAN
    Posts
    2,800
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    One factor that I think has a large impact on why people choose to game on consoles, is simplicity.
    Consoles are cheap, and simple. Cheap computers don't usually allow you to play current-gen games optimally anyway, and computers come with heaps of technical issues due to the vast amount of variables that go into the functioning of said computer in relation to all the software that is running on it.

    Case in point, not a single computer I have ever owned lasted even close to as long as the PS2 without technical issues of one kind or another - actually, I never had technical issues with that machine even once.
    An oh-so-expensive gaming computer that optimally runs all the current-gen games can still get bogged down by whatever else you happen to have on it, get viruses, crash due to errors caused by the interplay between various components, and/or incompatible software/hardware components. And, that's likely to happen, because you're probably going to use it for more than just gaming.
    Now, granted that you have "teh l33t" and thus aren't bothered by issues like these, chances are you're spending quite some time and effort making sure those things don't happen. Something which many people probably can't be bothered to do, if all they really want is just to play the latest FIFA.

    With a console, all you have to do is plug it in, turn it on, and play your games. The rest is self-explanatory, and requires absolutely no maintenance except for not throwing it out the window, or stomping on it in anger once you lose a round of COD online.

    As far as I am concerned that's a major plus right there.

    All that being said, I prefer handhelds.
    I have a computer, and a console that I could game on. I don't however. All my gaming is now confined to my PS Vita, or my Xperia Play, because they're 100% hassle-free, and can be used anywhere without any concern for anything except battery-life(which is still only an issue if I'm far away from an electrical outlet, or don't have my portable charger with me).

    And before anyone goes "omg what abuut da graphics" - I don't give two shits about graphics and never have. I still think Metal Gear Solid 1 is the best game in the entire MGS saga, and get more willies from the art direction in games like FF7-9, Suikoden 2, Breath of Fire 3-4 then I could ever get from games like the Last of Us, or GTA5, because I'm not stupid and is therefore capable of seeing the visual merits of art beyond how many pixels they comprise of.
    People who have an issue with that kind of thinking should be oblivious to why people still read books, or old cartoons. Usually they're not, which is why I'm forced to conclude that their capacity for making informed opinions on the nature of reality is severely dysfunctional.

    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

  2. #52
    Olpah's Object Reputation: 323
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    killjoy
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    as i said before, i like the pc mostly because it can run more games than all of the consoles ever made, put together. and with emulation, you can run most console exclusives as well.

    like you, i don't really care about incredible levels of graphical fidelity or whatever. i'd take the beautiful environments in ff7's midgar over the shitty looking (but probably technically impressive) blandness of ff13 any day. it's a good thing then, that i can play ff7 on pc.

    as for the rest, like you, i never had any problems with any consoles ps2 or earlier, but i've had two 360s, one of which had to be replaced and the other one doesn't work all that great anymore. i'm pretty sure both problems were caused by overheating. on pc, you can fairly easily observe and control heating issues, ensuring yr system will last longer.

    i don't think you can really compare handhelds and pcs. handhelds are fine if yr extremely busy and on the go, and just want something reasonably simple to chill out with for a little while, but you can't play baldur's gate 2 or shogun 2 total war on em.

    edit: well, you can actually play bg2 on ipad now ;P , but it's an inferior experience
    Last edited by postrook; 06-26-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

  3. #53
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴ Reputation: 534
    Xenonight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    www.onrpg.com
    Posts
    13,518
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    my mac is pretty sick at gaming.

    for games that are support mac, anyway


    Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

    Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

  4. #54
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 327
    hian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    JAAAPAAAAAN
    Posts
    2,800
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    as i said before, i like the pc mostly because it can run more games than all of the consoles ever made, put together. and with emulation, you can run most console exclusives as well.

    like you, i don't really care about incredible levels of graphical fidelity or whatever. i'd take the beautiful environments in ff7's midgar over the shitty looking (but probably technically impressive) blandness of ff13 any day. it's a good thing then, that i can play ff7 on pc.

    as for the rest, like you, i never had any problems with any consoles ps2 or earlier, but i've had two 360s, one of which had to be replaced and the other one doesn't work all that great anymore. i'm pretty sure both problems were caused by overheating. on pc, you can fairly easily observe and control heating issues, ensuring yr system will last longer.

    i don't think you can really compare handhelds and pcs. handhelds are fine if yr extremely busy and on the go, and just want something reasonably simple to chill out with for a little while, but you can't play baldur's gate 2 or shogun 2 total war on em.

    edit: well, you can actually play bg2 on ipad now ;P , but it's an inferior experience
    I agree, that if you're willing to take a PC with all it's potential issues, know how to maintenance properly, and know how to use emulators, hook up controllers etc. then PC is by far the best tool for general gaming.
    PC elitist tend to forget that there is a large portion of gamers(and PC users as well) who're not actually capable of doing all that. I mean, people are still clicking stupid banners and installing spyware, getting infected by viruses etc. to this day. I know plenty of people who're capable of turning the PC on, surfing the net, and watching movies, but don't know how torrent works, or how to patch a video-game.

    I agree that technical issues have increases with newer consoles, but I suspect that is because producers are insisting on turning consoles more and more into dumbed down computers.

    As for handhelds -
    The only reason handhelds can't play Shogun 2 at this moment, is because of limited hardware, and lack of interest.
    The fact of the matter though, is that Vita offers several console game ports from earlier generations, which clearly shows that there is nothing inherent about the handhelds as a format that limits them from offering console-type pacing and console-type narratives.
    That kind of backwards thinking is what is bogging down handheld productions to this day.
    I'm pretty sure the PS Vita hardware could support earlier titles of Total Ware, so this argument really just boils down to time constraints. A couple of more years, and a handheld capable of running Shogun 2 might very well exist - if not with the same graphical fidelity as a computer, at least with the same game-play.

    The problem is that the PSP logic still reigns, and producers still seem to think that they need handheld games to be short, episodic and so forth.
    This is flawed when you consider that the Vita can be paused at any time, put into standby mode, and because it's a handheld, you don't need to fret over interruptions of game-play, as you can essentially carry on at any time, or any place.
    FF10/10-2 HD, and MGS2/3 suffer non of this logic, yet new titles are consistently dumbed down for the sake of a player demographic that only exists because of the limitations of the PSP, and the DS, to begin with.

    Another argument I've seen against handheld-gaming is screen-size, but this is really messed up. Firstly, "screen size" essentially boils down to how much space a foreign object takes up on the field of vision of the human eye. Since you'll usually hold the handheld very close to your face, the screen will most likely cover just as much space of your field of vision as a TV would, if you were sitting on your couch 1-2 meters away. As long as the hardware is good enough(OLED screens, high resolution support), then there really is no difference.
    In either case, this argument too, will become even more irrelevant when streamlined versions of the gaming goggles become mass-produced and the norm on the market, and can be hooked up to the handhelds.

    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

  5. #55
    Olpah's Object Reputation: 323
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    killjoy
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    well, i would totally play that handheld Shogun Total war 2
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

  6. #56
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,846
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hian View Post
    I agree, that if you're willing to take a PC with all it's potential issues, know how to maintenance properly, and know how to use emulators, hook up controllers etc. then PC is by far the best tool for general gaming.
    I've been emulating games for years and I can tell ya: some games really do not run well at all on PC Emulators and many are far from perfect, even with the better overall fps rates and visual enhancements. A good number of PS1 and PS2 games have some minor to major problems that were never fixed. For example, I know way back when I used to play FFIX a lot, you had to use a certain version of an emulator just to get around a crash that was caused right after you fight a boss (Black Waltz first encounter/airship cutscene crash). The 2 SMT: DDS games run outright horrible on emulator and there is no fix for them. A number of games had noticeable drops or issues with audio and even graphical blips that were unavoidable (Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobos Dungeon is a primary example of that).

    The best emulators I've ever used were on PSP and Wii, and that's the main reason why I've kept them for so long. And the Wii can do just about everything you'd want from a Wii emulator on PC, (hell the Wii can do a LOT of stuff people don't realize). You need a pretty solid PC to emulate Wii games (although for some it's kind of worth it due to loading times) where as you can nab Wii's under 100$ all day long and emulate every nintendo console, along with a number of other ones, just as good if not better than you can on PC after you put cfw on it. And it's a lot more user friendly without a whole lot of having to deal with specific fixes and profiles for certain games.

    The only PC emulation for a console I've found that was truly on point was for DS. I've haven't looked into the newer gen systems like PS3 and Wii U yet though.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-28-2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Fixed FFXI to FFIX
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

  7. #57
    Olpah's Object Reputation: 323
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    killjoy
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    you meant to write ffix, right? ffxi would be ff11, xd
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

  8. #58
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    6,846
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    you meant to write ffix, right? ffxi would be ff11, xd
    Damn it yes, thanks.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

  9. #59
    Olpah's Object Reputation: 323
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    killjoy
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    that is a fair point about the imperfections of emulation, though. i'm not gonna deny that i've had some emulattion related crashes and audio issues as well, in my time.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

  10. #60
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 327
    hian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    JAAAPAAAAAN
    Posts
    2,800
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    I've been emulating games for years and I can tell ya: some games really do not run well at all on PC Emulators and many are far from perfect, even with the better overall fps rates and visual enhancements. A good number of PS1 and PS2 games have some minor to major problems that were never fixed. For example, I know way back when I used to play FFIX a lot, you had to use a certain version of an emulator just to get around a crash that was caused right after you fight a boss (Black Waltz first encounter/airship cutscene crash). The 2 SMT: DDS games run outright horrible on emulator and there is no fix for them. A number of games had noticeable drops or issues with audio and even graphical blips that were unavoidable (Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobos Dungeon is a primary example of that).

    The best emulators I've ever used were on PSP and Wii, and that's the main reason why I've kept them for so long. And the Wii can do just about everything you'd want from a Wii emulator on PC, (hell the Wii can do a LOT of stuff people don't realize). You need a pretty solid PC to emulate Wii games (although for some it's kind of worth it due to loading times) where as you can nab Wii's under 100$ all day long and emulate every nintendo console, along with a number of other ones, just as good if not better than you can on PC after you put cfw on it. And it's a lot more user friendly without a whole lot of having to deal with specific fixes and profiles for certain games.

    The only PC emulation for a console I've found that was truly on point was for DS. I've haven't looked into the newer gen systems like PS3 and Wii U yet though.
    I thank that's very individual though, and again boils down to how tech-savvy you are, and all the variables that change based on interaction between various hardware and software components.

    Case in point, I played all the PSX FF games with the epsxe emulator, and never once suffered any game-play detracting bugs - only minor graphical issues(green borders on the pre-rendered backgrounds), despite that a lot of people with, apparently, the same settings and more or less the same rigs, said that shouldn't be possible.
    I also used to play Suikoden 2 on the same emulator. Everything worked fine.
    A year later I fired the emulator back up, exact same settings, exact same computer, but now the sound on the strategic battles wasn't working, so it's really kinda random at times. Again, it's this lack of stability that pisses me off about PC gaming.
    Games I could play 2 minutes ago, suddenly crashing, though they never did before etc.

    Again, handhelds are all I need now(in general). Unfortunately, I'm a Metal Gear fan-boy, and therefore have to buy the PS4 for that reason... If the new PS online game-streaming service will allow PS Vita to play PS4 games, I won't though.

    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •