Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: As a PC gamer, I am realizing the benefits of consoles.

TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default As a PC gamer, I am realizing the benefits of consoles.

Consoles just receive significantly more support from developers on regards to triple A titles. Also, most of my friends play on consoles than PC which makes it boring for me to play on the PC side.

Sigh....

Dear Diary.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

brb just going to mod the games myself on my PC instead of waiting for devs.

Retired Staff Reputation: 733

The only benefits I see with consoles is that you can run any game for the coming 4-5 years at least.

Downside is that at the end of that lifecycle, you're running games at about 2FPS.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    I should update this but all my effort went into writing this lousy excuse.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 83

The only benefit of consoles are console exclusive games.

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 480

Consoles are more common. Honestly out of everyone I know I have one friend that is in to pc gaming, everyone else is either team PlayStation or Microsoft.

King Furry Reputation: 432

Consoles get more updates sure.

Unfortunately, they call it DLC over there, and charge money for it.
    And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear.

You shout and no one seems to hear.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

can't say i really care about either of those things too much.

what does matter is that pc games are forever, and modding. also they're cheaper.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 242

# ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

The only reason I would ever get a console (PS4) is for Destiny. That's equivalent to $500 just to play a single game because there is nothing on PS4 that interests me.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 677

720p, 25 fps, notnxbai.

Stay frosty.

Game Journalist Reputation: 95

Wii U gets 60fps.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

What's really sad is some developers, like Ubisoft and 2K, seem to be purposely gimping the PC versions of their games in order to promote new gen consoles.

The most recent is the leak of quality reduction of The Division.
    http://whatifgaming.com/the-division...d-a-few-things

Hoshigami Reputation: 435

Ubisoft needs to work more on fixing uplay than worrying about making games look better on PC.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

"Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

I think you misunderstood.
    The games look great but are downgraded so they aren't better than the console version. Even when WatchDogs and the Division were supposedly developed as PC being the primary platform.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I think you misunderstood.
    The games look great but are downgraded so they aren't better than the console version. Even when WatchDogs and the Division were supposedly developed as PC being the primary platform.
    Not seeing a problem if everyone is getting the same game.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

They release promotional material and gameplay footage showing the original, better graphics. They then reduce said graphics way into the pre-order phase.

For Watch Dogs they didn't even say it had been done until players called them on it. Only then did they say it was due to "stability issues." Which was proven to be a load of crap after a player found and activated the improved settings still in the code.

So, the problem is they're showing and selling it as superior but pulling it out so that in the end consoles don't look weaker.

So in addition to pulling what some consider to be a major scam, they're shooting PC gaming in the knee by not allowing it to show it's strengths.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    They release promotional material and gameplay footage showing the original, better graphics. They then reduce said graphics way into the pre-order phase.

For Watch Dogs they didn't even say it had been done until players called them on it. Only then did they say it was due to "stability issues." Which was proven to be a load of crap after a player found and activated the improved settings still in the code.

So, the problem is they're showing and selling it as superior but pulling it out so that in the end consoles don't look weaker.

So in addition to pulling what some consider to be a major scam, they're shooting PC gaming in the knee by not allowing it to show it's strengths.
    That's not a big deal. I'd rather them fix uplay. Day one people were having problems and couldn't even play the game because of it (not to mention just other crappy stuff about it like not being able to change your id). That's a lot more important than them "hiding" super graphics for PC users.

No one's arguing that uplay doesn't suck. It's just not the topic were discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Sure, okay.
    Lol, we haven't even started to talk about anti-alising on consoles.

See, there is the argument that some people just don't care. That's fine. There is no argument that consoles are in the PC world what a Fiat Punto is in the car world. They will get you there somehow. They do run games, somehow. Loads of people find them good enough.

There is only one benefit and that's the price. You pay what you get and that is a unrecognizable gimped PC.

Stay frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Most people don't care about having the top of the line graphics though. Only small portion of gamers care about that.

*is playing Watch Dogs on PS3 as we speak*
    Uhhhhh.... I feel like saying only a small portion care about graphics is a underestimate. Sure, the portion maybe be smaller than the casual gaming group but it is still rather large.

# ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    IMO the fact that Minecraft is as popular as it is says that most people won't care about graphics as long as the gameplay is good enough.
    Minecraft was the first of its kind so people were less choosy in that genre. (Not like they have much of a choice) Now if you have a thousand racing games to choose from, graphics would start to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    IMO the fact that Minecraft is as popular as it is says that most people won't care about graphics as long as the gameplay is good enough.
    and yet everyone and their mother downloads the texture packs and other graphic enhancing mods. I also mentioned casual plebs don't mind.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

i never download any of that stuff. in fact, i usually lower the settings on games

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Lol, we haven't even started to talk about anti-alising on consoles.

See, there is the argument that some people just don't care. That's fine. There is no argument that consoles are in the PC world what a Fiat Punto is in the car world. They will get you there somehow. They do run games, somehow. Loads of people find them good enough.

There is only one benefit and that's the price. You pay what you get and that is a unrecognizable gimped PC.
    Sure, ok.

Most people don't drive luxury/sports cars to work everyday. Most of the time, everyone is going to be following the speed limit. PC gamers are stuck in this traffic jam just like everyone else, they are just too busy yelling to notice they are also a part of it.

Cities are not designed with the limitations of speed demons in mind. A beautiful car is nice to look at, but it's sole function is still just a car. I'm a lot more concerned with having something that is reliable and cheap that will last years, that something that is pretty much just going to depreciate in value over and be outclassed by something next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Uhhhhh.... I feel like saying only a small portion care about graphics is a underestimate. Sure, the portion maybe be smaller than the casual gaming group but it is still rather large.
    It only seems large because of the amount of complaining PC gamers do. The visual improvements of MMO's have come a long way and yet their gameplay is still stuck in early 2000. As visually impressive as TERA, GW2, and even FFXIV are, they still pretty average when it comes to actual gameplay, which is why everyone is constantly criticizing them. And the last time (and almost every time for that matter) when people were asked, "What are some of the best MMORGPG's?" Ragnarok online is the top choice almost all the time. I'll tell you what is almost never nominated though: anything new.

Graphics are the least important aspect of gaming, and the people who focus on that are missing out on the point of gaming in general. But hey, what do I know? I'm just sitting here like a peasant enjoying my games while everyone else is complaining about not being able to use their futuristic machines to stream and record every game in colors outside our visible spectrum. I guess I got it wrong.

I'm so sad over here, having all this fun. *o*;

@Kashis:
    Aside from the jam analogy just not working:
    Thanks to people who think consoles are innovative, we still have games with savepoints in 2014.

Innovation ought to be the last argument for consoles ever. Cover based shooting? Quick time events? That isn't innovation, that is just the result of controllers being inadequate for doing anything that requires the least amount of dexterity.

The only innovative thing that comes to my mind when I think about consoles is Guitar Hero. That only happened, because controller input is so limiting, that console devs permanently struggle to find a desperate way to fix it. Well, that worked; Exactly once.

Stay frosty.