FF14 has a nice discount on Steam...so how is the game?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Wario’s Bad Accent Reputation: 22

Default FF14 has a nice discount on Steam...so how is the game?

I've been tempted for a while to get into the game, could never justify the price. Have a few questions though since asking people who have played it is worlds different from just looking at guides online.

PvP: Is it open world or forced? Is there a point in the game where you cannot progress further without engaging in PvP?

Instances: Are they forced? I remember reading that you can't progress in your story, including getting features unlocked, without instances. Instances are fine but I prefer to do them on my own time, when I would find them fun, rather than "you can't progress until you do this, tough luck."

Crafting: How good is the system? I've seen guides, it looks like fun, it looks deep, but does it have any value in the game at all? Most games basically make crafting useless in the long term, is that the case here? Also, how much instancing do you have to do to craft? Again, I'm fine with grouping, it just gets old when it becomes a barrier instead of a fun option.

Monster tagging: Does that exist in this game? I was in the beta but I honestly forget.

Anything else you feel free to recommend, go right ahead. I do not want to make a blind purchase, even if it is a great deal, considering it still requires a monthly investment.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

I haven't played in a while but...

-PvP in FF14 was an after thought. I don't think it's required for anything.
    -Instances. Main quest lines require you to complete them.
    -Crafting. No idea.
    -Tagging. Standard MMO Tagging.

I bought it new and think it was worth it for the month I played. I would say grab it while it's on sale. It's a nice game.

Sonic’s Milkshake Reputation: 42

So... is there any kind of PvP in FFXIV:ARR now?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 246

Quote Originally Posted by bullit View Post
    So... is there any kind of PvP in FFXIV:ARR now?
    yes there is but it is not really popular because most of the people that play they play for the lore and for other pve stuff ... but in 2.3 there will be a nice update to pvp and i think a lot more people will be attracted to it

The game itself is deep and crafting is huge each craft has their own profession that you need to lvl it is interesting
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

The game sucks, it's full of chinese gold sellers and the endgame content is a joke, avoid at all costs.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I bought it new and think it was worth it for the month I played. I would say grab it while it's on sale. It's a nice game.
    Agree with this totally.

The leveling experience was quite fun, doing all the low-mid level dungeons and everything. Once I reached end-game I realized I didn't have the time to commit to a guild or schedule raid runs and stopped playing.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Last I was on there the crafting is useless because they made it more for fashion than for PVE so most crafter stuff is useless besides maybe cooking because food now stay even after death but the effect still not that great. PVP is just an arena team fight. PVE what it all comes down to is grind for Best in Slot stuff which was all Coil Turn 6-9 or 10 stuff. Basically once you reach end game you'll just grind dungeons/raids over and over again until you get sick and tire of it. If you're hardcore enough and have the ability to beat everything easily then you'll basically have nothing to do.

Edit: There is the housing system but that's only for Free Company's (Guilds) who have enough money for it. Though it's not difficult to earn decoration stuff, since, well Master Crafters (crafters who have every crafting skill leveled up) can easily make all the furniture's and etc.
    Last edited by GenoX; 06-25-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 60

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    Edit: There is the housing system but that's only for Free Company's (Guilds) who have enough money for it. Though it's not difficult to earn decoration stuff, since, well Master Crafters (crafters who have every crafting skill leveled up) can easily make all the furniture's and etc.
    There will be Personal Housing at a later date. Yoshida confirmed that in the past few live letters.

As stated before, this game isn't meant to be a PVP Game, and will never have open world PVP from what I can tell. Frontline is a GC v. GC v. GC Instanced massive arena (Basically three crystal tower raids going at each other to control the area. You have 30 minutes to attack/defend.) It's more of a point capture system like some GW2 SPVP Modes, but way, way, way bigger (Like Wv3.)
    Last edited by coldReactive; 06-26-2014 at 02:46 AM.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 · Saving For: An Epic Computer

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 22

Best game effects i've seen on any other MMO. Gameplay-wise, it's alright. I like the fact that it leaned more on the grinding type of game. Best part for me was leveling every job to cap on a single character. PvP-wise, it's ayt.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

It was fun for about 30 days. I subbed for 1 month, then quit the next day.

Ps. Voice Action is nice in Japanese. Read subtitles instead.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast