Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45

Thread: FF14 has a nice discount on Steam...so how is the game?

  1. #26
    Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117
    coldReactive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexaz View Post
    So , picked it up , and so far the game seems a bit mediocre ( but it is to be expected as I'm still low lvl :3) lvl 12 marauder and the highlight moment for me was the voiced quest with cinematic at the end , really wish to see more of those anyway "Lexaz Wolfborn - Odin" :3
    brayflox Normal is when you are forced to know your class' mechanics by the way. As a MRD >> WAR, you'll need to tank. Make sure to get your WAR Soul Crystal immediately after you do your final MRD Quest at lv.30.

    Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

  2. #27
    Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 15
    Mxerdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,784
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexaz View Post
    So , picked it up , and so far the game seems a bit mediocre ( but it is to be expected as I'm still low lvl :3) lvl 12 marauder and the highlight moment for me was the voiced quest with cinematic at the end , really wish to see more of those anyway "Lexaz Wolfborn - Odin" :3
    To be honest, I thought the same thing when I first started played. I was thinking "Oh great, another WoW clone". Nooooope, Here I am nearly a year later and it's still my favorite game. Sure, Every now and then I take a break from it for maybe a month or so, but I do that with many games. Huge new patches every 3-4 months, with small patches in between of course. Each patch brings some pretty awesome new additions. I'm greatly looking forward to Frontlines in 2.3 which is scheduled for a July 8th release.

    Give the game some time to open up. The combat is a bit slow in the beginning, but once you get higher level you won't notice the 2.5sec GCD. Follow your main storyline quests, do your class quests. Watch some videos, read some guides, and you shouldn't have a problem getting into the game.

  3. #28
    Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117
    coldReactive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mxerdude View Post
    Give the game some time to open up. The combat is a bit slow in the beginning, but once you get higher level you won't notice the 2.5sec GCD. Follow your main storyline quests, do your class quests. Watch some videos, read some guides, and you shouldn't have a problem getting into the game.
    Indeed. Although, I like to learn by doing, so I often ignore videos. I didn't watch a video of any of the crystal tower bosses, and it was okay. Though, as a healer, my job in CT is minute.

    Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

  4. #29
    A Shrubbery Reputation: 146
    KEV1N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    841
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Thought about getting it. Dowloaded the character creator/benchmark. Why are the male characters so damn ugly? Is this why everyone makes cat girls?

  5. #30
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,243
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Graphics are nice. Music is nice. There are chocobos.

  6. #31
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 26
    GenoX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    751
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    i wouldn't say that having DL set meant being ''geared'' and getting ilvl90 i dont think you got it all in 1 month which would be impossible with cap.
    I didn't meant as being geared out in i90 within a month because within that month I just didn't have that much time, money, determination, or group to do that, and the limitation of once a week. I did though decided to slow down and not do coil when I was ready for it. Being i70 (i69 to be precise because didn't have any af2 armor/+1 wpn&shield) is the minimum at the time to complete turn 1-2 being over geared just simply made it easier. Though I wish I had a hardcore group like this one dude in the game, lvl 1-50 and completed primal hm all in 2 days.

    In the end I'm not saying grinding dungeons and raids is a bad thing. But when I got to the point where I log in after repeating it so many times over the months, it's like I've already did it what else is there to do when you've completed all the quest and events. It's that thought I ask myself, What else is entertaining to do besides the dungeons and raid? then it seems like there is nothing else to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phenoca View Post
    Graphics are nice. Music is nice. There are chocobos.
    I got a fat chocobo.


    Last edited by GenoX; 06-27-2014 at 04:24 AM.

  7. #32
    Lives in City of Zeroes Reputation: 22
    sutasafaia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    635
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Thanks for all the replies, it's certainly given me more to think about. Keep up the conversations though, I'm finding them enlightening.

    Also, fat chocobo may just be the best mount in any game ever. Please tell me you can summon it with a carrot?

  8. #33
    Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 14

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    302
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    farm fate then farm coil.

  9. #34
    Norrin Radd's Nerd Rage Reputation: 31

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,620
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    My biggest problem is finding a server I actually want to be on. My friends are scattered all over the place, so that's not really an option. My plan was originally to join an active server but with the current sale, and the influx of console players, I cant really tell where I want to be. I have heard good things about Gilgamesh (looking for NA server). I just dont want to invest time in a server that is just going to be dead a month after this sale LOL

  10. #35
    SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 44
    couponfork's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,080
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ketsuarikado View Post
    My biggest problem is finding a server I actually want to be on. My friends are scattered all over the place, so that's not really an option. My plan was originally to join an active server but with the current sale, and the influx of console players, I cant really tell where I want to be. I have heard good things about Gilgamesh (looking for NA server). I just dont want to invest time in a server that is just going to be dead a month after this sale LOL
    Last time I played (4 months ago) there were people everywhere and I was in the starter zones. I doubt any server will be dead in a month due to the sale.

  11. #36
    Game Journalist Reputation: 490

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,786
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    That chick looks like it's an ass hole.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  12. #37
    Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117
    coldReactive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sutasafaia View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, it's certainly given me more to think about. Keep up the conversations though, I'm finding them enlightening.

    Also, fat chocobo may just be the best mount in any game ever. Please tell me you can summon it with a carrot?
    Nope. A special whistle. Fat Chocobo can only be obtained if you have the Collector's Edition. (Same with the Moogle minion.) Only people who pre-ordered can obtain the cait sith minion and Moogle Hat.

    So here's a list of things that people may be upset about, since this thread is so far all high hopes and positive-ness:

    • Phoenix Downs in-game are practically useless, so you'll see a lot of them being sold on the Market Boards for less than 50 Gil. (You can't use them in-battle.)
    • Summoner Summons (Including ACN Carbuncles) will direct aggro at first to the summoner if you tell them to attack a target, and that target is facing the direction the summon is coming from. (Cascading Aggro.) Any mobs that attempt to aggro the summon from here on, will aggro you unless you have the summon also attack them. (This wasn't the case originally. Mobs would actually aggro the summons.)
    • ATMAs are extremely hard to come by sometimes, and take ages to farm depending on the area. (North Shroud, from what I hear, takes the longest to farm an ATMA Crystal) Some sections of areas are also getting less and less people farming ATMAs due to many people already having them. Areas like the western portion of East La Noscea are barely touched in the FATE department. Relics by the way, are better than their unweathered variants with Novus out now. (Relic > Zenith > ATMA > Animus > Novus for Relic Progression.)
    • Boss FATEs are hard to solo alone (Obviously, they're bosses.) The only class/job that can do them easily is ACN/SMN. Of course, if you have PLD and cross-class Cure from Conjurer and the Marauder Heal and the Second Wind from Pugilist, then you should be moderately fine. Once you get your chocobo companion, this becomes easier as PLD and WAR, and Scholar and WHM can solo boss fates pretty easily as long as you watch your enmity bars on the party window with a Chocobo.
    • Sometimes, Square Enix will patch certain things, and not tell anyone about it. Some of these things are increased difficulty with certain levequests (Such as the Escort Quest in Camp Tranquil Area.)
    • Morbols / Malboros (Bad Breath, Obviously. /ohohohohohoho)
    • Aurum Vale (Required for certain Grand Company Promotions)
    • Pharos Sirius' First Boss (Required for Duty Roulette, High Level)
    • Lack of /hug emote. (Might change in the future as Yoshida stated.)
    • (OCD) Dungeon Master title isn't on the Dungeon Master Achievement.
    • Cannot use Convert in Inn Rooms.
    • In the Main Scenario end quests. People want to rush them, so they don't like it when you sit to watch story cutscenes.
    • Not all story cutscenes are in the Inn Room Book.
    • Death Animations take 3~4 seconds for the server to register. (Thus, to continue a chain, you must kill an enemy before the timer hits 5 seconds. The same goes for Levequests. At 14:59 Time left, you lose your speed of completion. However, it takes slightly longer sometimes, so you need to do stuff within 15-20 seconds of 14:59.)
    Last edited by coldReactive; 06-27-2014 at 03:03 PM.

    Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

  13. #38
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 198
    Asiankid0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Recession States of America
    Posts
    9,100
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    hmm that 50% sale on steam....and buying it gives me 30-days free....

    how is the game? I only tried FF14 wayyyyyy back during the first beta stages - when the game was more catered towards console-based controls, graphics were un-optimized out the ass, and I had 0 idea of what the **** to do in that game.

    Realm Reborn fix a lot of those issues? is it beginner-friendly? archers and lancers intrigue me because I like spears and bows. might buy this since the sale ends in less than an hour and try it when I get home.

    the thing is I checked the specs on canyourunit.com and it showed that my rig only meets the minimum requirements....not sure if I can push past the lowest settings without sacrificing fps drops.

    my rig specs:

    AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz
    125 GB SSD
    8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
    Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
    700W PSU

    will my rig be able to handle the game on at least medium? I dislike playing games on low...
    "When it comes to the past, EVERYONE writes fiction." -Stephen King

  14. #39
    Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 64

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,854
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asiankid0 View Post
    hmm that 50% sale on steam....and buying it gives me 30-days free....

    how is the game? I only tried FF14 wayyyyyy back during the first beta stages - when the game was more catered towards console-based controls, graphics were un-optimized out the ass, and I had 0 idea of what the **** to do in that game.

    Realm Reborn fix a lot of those issues? is it beginner-friendly? archers and lancers intrigue me because I like spears and bows. might buy this since the sale ends in less than an hour and try it when I get home.

    the thing is I checked the specs on canyourunit.com and it showed that my rig only meets the minimum requirements....not sure if I can push past the lowest settings without sacrificing fps drops.

    my rig specs:

    AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz
    125 GB SSD
    8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
    Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
    700W PSU

    will my rig be able to handle the game on at least medium? I dislike playing games on low...
    try the benchmark tool? It will give you a rough idea. You can change the in game setting ( texture shadows
    ETC) and it will give you a score

    http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/

    Edit: I know you are at work and im sure your system can run it.
    Last edited by whitey; 06-27-2014 at 04:31 PM.

  15. #40
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10
    Sihx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Just a heads up for everybody, the steam sale ended, but it is still available 50% off on amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-.../dp/B00CMSCV4Q
    Steam: DevonWL
    Battletag: Sihxy#1152

  16. #41
    Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    342
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Asiankid0 View Post
    hmm that 50% sale on steam....and buying it gives me 30-days free....

    how is the game? I only tried FF14 wayyyyyy back during the first beta stages - when the game was more catered towards console-based controls, graphics were un-optimized out the ass, and I had 0 idea of what the **** to do in that game.

    Realm Reborn fix a lot of those issues? is it beginner-friendly? archers and lancers intrigue me because I like spears and bows. might buy this since the sale ends in less than an hour and try it when I get home.

    the thing is I checked the specs on canyourunit.com and it showed that my rig only meets the minimum requirements....not sure if I can push past the lowest settings without sacrificing fps drops.

    my rig specs:

    AMD Phenom II x4 3.2 GHz
    125 GB SSD
    8 GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
    Radeon HD 6870 1 GB
    700W PSU

    will my rig be able to handle the game on at least medium? I dislike playing games on low...
    I play the game just fine and I'm using an old pc with the following specs:
    PSU: Corsair TX750W
    CPU: Intel Core2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600)
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5
    RAM: Corsair Dominator 4GB DDR2 1066mhz
    Internal HDD1: WD 250GB Dual Boot OS
    Internal HDD2: WD 500GB Programs

    You will be fine.

  17. #42
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422
    poeticas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    12,164
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    everyone should get sweetfx running because it makes the game look soo much better... darker and smoother somehow...

    With sweetfx:



    Without:

    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

  18. #43
    Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    888
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Also, patch 2.3 arriving on July 8th. I quit the game before they released any real content. (all endgame one was mindless grind of the first two endgame dungeons (forget names) for tomes, then coil coil coil, then you are done. So... that got boring fast. I am still skeptical and on guard regarding this game, BUT 2.3 looks sweet with Syrcus Tower. I really have to try Xande and Hein :P. I loooove final fantasy 3 so darn it, they suck me in with this crystal tower lol. I hope the game is much more fleshed out now. I have been away for a long time. My main reservation with the game is how worthwhile endgame is. Obviously when it was released there was just nothing there and you burnt out in no time. To the point I logged on and really didn't know what to do because nothing sounded fun (thus I quit). Hopefully with housing, raising chocobos, and the other odds and ends they introduced it will be better.

  19. #44
    Roon's Rogue Reputation: 117
    coldReactive's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    4,291
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bawnawgwa View Post
    Also, patch 2.3 arriving on July 8th. I quit the game before they released any real content. (all endgame one was mindless grind of the first two endgame dungeons (forget names) for tomes, then coil coil coil, then you are done. So... that got boring fast. I am still skeptical and on guard regarding this game, BUT 2.3 looks sweet with Syrcus Tower. I really have to try Xande and Hein :P. I loooove final fantasy 3 so darn it, they suck me in with this crystal tower lol. I hope the game is much more fleshed out now. I have been away for a long time. My main reservation with the game is how worthwhile endgame is. Obviously when it was released there was just nothing there and you burnt out in no time. To the point I logged on and really didn't know what to do because nothing sounded fun (thus I quit). Hopefully with housing, raising chocobos, and the other odds and ends they introduced it will be better.
    Hunt by the way allows you to get Sands of Time and Oil of time without going into raids.

    Only plays Magic DPS Classes, Healers and Machinist/Engineers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Balmung)
    Waiting On: FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior, RE:FFVII ∑ Saving For: New Computer

  20. #45
    Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10
    momoco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    California.
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Kind of random, hopefully someone who checks out this thread will answer;
    Did they change the gathering/mining, and crafting mini-game deal from 1.0?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •