Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 45 of 45

Thread: Marriage Equality Update

  1. #26
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    the friend zone isn't a thing that exists

    either yr interested in someone or yr not. "i'd rather be friends" is just a thing that women say to cushion the blow for men, because society conditions women to not want to say no outright to men.

  2. #27
    King Furry Reputation: 432
    Cingal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    12,568
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    But the real question is, when will OnRPG get marriage equality?
    And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear.

    You shout and no one seems to hear.

  3. #28
    Game Journalist Reputation: 490

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    6,786
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    the friend zone isn't a thing that exists

    either yr interested in someone or yr not. "i'd rather be friends" is just a thing that women say to cushion the blow for men, because society conditions women to not want to say no outright to men.
    You just defined what the friend zone is - A "place" in a relationship where a woman does not want to be with a man and so instead says, "I just want to be friends." That's the friendzone - being interested in a woman, but she isn't interested in you but she still wants to be friends.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Cingal View Post
    But the real question is, when will OnRPG get marriage equality?
    Never. This is a traditional place with traditional values and we'll stay traditional! A man and his left hand is how RNGesus meant us to be, not any of this heretical shit about being in a relationship with someone. And I know it's accepted within our culture as long as it isn't physical, but I honestly think those people with "internet relationships" are pushing the boundaries to far. If we lose who we are, then what are we?! Nothing but non-moral scum, that's what!
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  4. #29
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    wait, left hand? that shit ain't right

  5. #30
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I really don't get it. I thought marriage was a religious thing and religious people live by rules and one of them rules is don't be gay or you'll be hit by a meteor.

    But now marriage is needed so you can get divorced and take all your partner's shit and spend lots of moneys on some retarded "special day" so you can look at photos of people you probably hate that turned up to stare at you looking all smartly dressed for once while they talk shit behind your back.

    Why don't people just not get married and just be happy together. Get rid of stupid laws that require marriage and none of this marriage equality shit will be a problem.

    I don't really know where I was going with this post. Religion is a cvnt.

  6. #31
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,108
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    I really don't get it. I thought marriage was a religious thing and religious people live by rules and one of them rules is don't be gay or you'll be hit by a meteor.

    But now marriage is needed so you can get divorced and take all your partner's shit and spend lots of moneys on some retarded "special day" so you can look at photos of people you probably hate that turned up to stare at you looking all smartly dressed for once while they talk shit behind your back.

    Why don't people just not get married and just be happy together. Get rid of stupid laws that require marriage and none of this marriage equality shit will be a problem.

    I don't really know where I was going with this post. Religion is a cvnt.
    Marriage was never originally a religious ceremony, nor is it unique to Christianity though. Many cultures have different forms of it and rules that govern marriage. However, in this country there are certain rights and even benefits to being married which are not available to gay couples in certain states, which is a problem. It doesn't make sense that we have laws against discrimination for basically whatever the reason, then implement laws that do, which we currently are doing. The laws we have are contradictory in themselves, in a number of ways though, not just with this. Go team USA.

    The role of a church in marriage is supposed to be basically no more than a blessing, not a requirement, and many people get married legally without any kind of involvement from them or even someone ordained in this country to this day. It is actually incredibly easy and cheap to get married in this country provided you have the paperwork (and in some states heterosexual). But time, politics and people's interpretations of law and what's right has lead to various religious folks to be able to influence and alter law to fit their perspective on the subject. And that's why we have this problem, along with many others.

    The whole big Christian wedding ceremony is pretty much just a business transaction (read up about Dowries used in "traditional marriages" and their purposes), and take a look at the whole process in general and what it involves. And buying an expensive Diamond ring because love and shit? Just a marketing campaign gone very well.

    The love between two people, the commitment and the basic human right to be with someone you care about are what most people are fighting for, not the lavish expenditure and glamour you see a bunch of celebs partake in.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-29-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  7. #32
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    well I wasn't sure about the religion part because I'm purposely ignorant about both religion and marriage.

    but the need to be legally married these days needs to get gone, that's the bigger problem here.

  8. #33
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,244
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    And buying an expensive Diamond ring because love and shit? Just a marketing campaign gone very well.
    Try telling her that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    The whole big Christian wedding ceremony is pretty much just a business transaction (read up about Dowries used in "traditional marriages" and their purposes), and take a look at the whole process in general and what it involves.
    Selling your children for money? I'll stop you with my army of feminists!

  9. #34
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,344
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    Marriage has 1 very simple reasons, which made it into the general social contract of all cultures (which is made up of the respective religion mainly, tbh):
    - Settle questions of inheritance.

    That's all there actually is to it. The rest is just ideas that people project on it, that are not essential. You can take Dowries away and it still works. You can put divorce in, you can put split or shared possessions, you can make the head of the family a dedicated person or not. It's alll kinda irrelevant. The point of marriage is to create a claim on wealth for the children.

    That's also no natural law. The ideas of natural law and such is just something that religious movements come up with, after they already are firm in control, just to bolster a claim they made up.
    After all, religious ethics are usually just "codes of law" with some funny made up anecdotes to explain them (usually to kids, because who else buys that crap) patched on.

    @gays:
    Ought to be allowed to do whatever they please. If they find they need it that's brilliant for them (no sarcasm here) , I hope it makes some people happy and their life easier. That's the point of it and who can in their right mind be against making people's life easier anyways?
    Last edited by Ronin; 06-29-2014 at 01:13 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  10. #35
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Traditionally, the woman takes the man's last name as her own. I think that's a priceless gift that can't be repaid, but I'd settle with a nice ring. I don't expect $10k to be dropped on it, but up to $1k is fine. Unless he's rich, then he should def spend at least $5k. As a side note, it makes me really sad when celebrities spend a million dollars on one useless ring when that could have fed an entire country. :/ Priorities.

    Moreover, spending money on ANYTHING is a good thing (as long as you spend it in the right places, I suggest small businesses like on Etsy, eBay, or a local shop). The more you buy, the more money that circulates through the economy, and keeps it healthy. Which means people can keep their jobs and acquire new ones, receive raises and bonsuses, afford necessities, etc. etc. So when people say "don't succumb to that marketing ploy!" during holidays and stuff, they're not seeing the big picture (and have a huge turd in their undies). Plus, HOLIDAY HELLO KITTY PLUSHIES ARE SO CUTE.

    Furthermore, marriage means different things to different people. If you don't like marriage, that's fine, you have the freedom not to be married, despite what society expects. However, some people view marriage as an ultimate, official gesture to show their love and affection. A public wedding ceremony (which is optional) can make the event more memorable and special for the couple as well.

    Also, Zombie, you have a misinformed ideal of divorce. The overwhelmingly majority of married couples do not "use" marriage to take a spouse's money, and very rarely does that happen in an unfair manner. Usually, the judge tries to evenly split the couple's joint-possessions (assets which have accumulated DURING the marriage). And depending on the circumstance, he/she may not even get an entire half of what their spouse made within the span of time the marriage has existed, based on numerous factors.

    In the case that only the man is the financial provider, the money he made is considered a joint-possession, and will, therefore, be fairly split. The same applies to the woman's assets, whether that be greater or smaller than his. This formula is upheld to be as fair as possible, considering the judge has not personally experienced the relationship, and therefore, cannot determine who deserves what based on that lack of personal experience. They legitimately try to make the fairest judgments.

    This also guarantees that neither one be financially unstable once the divorce is settled, which is how I believe the law came to exist. During the more traditional time-periods, women solely raised children and did not earn an income because of their expected role. If a woman divorced, she would have zero financial stability, and little job experience/education to achieve a sufficient job that would need to provide for not only herself, but her children as well. Also, consider a 50-year-old woman who never had a career, being thrown back into society to fend for herself. There aren't many jobs that hire old women with little to no work experience. It would not be an easy or a fast recovery process.

    Most people who choose to marry already know that his/her assets will be evenly split should the marriage fail (you seem to already know a smidgen). However, a prenuptial agreement can easily prevent that from occurring. However however, you're a jerk if you require your spouse to sign a pre-nup if she tended to house duties and raised your children.

    Whether you agree with it or not, when you are married, the money you make becomes hers too. That's how marriage operates. You become a unit and you're treated as such until the unity is terminated. If you don't like this concept, you have two fantastic options mentioned previously: Don't get married or sign a pre-nup.

    I strongly encourage you to do research on these topics, 'cause there are tons of reliable sources with plenty of information. And I don't mean watch YouTube videos by bitter misogynistic men who can't seem to grasp the reality that women are people too. I mean videos with substantial evidence and facts, without bias.

  11. #36
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    i don't really believe in marriage, or at least i agree with zom in that i don't think it's any of the state's business. definitely i would never have a big public expensive wedding. i've worked a job at a banquet hall, often doing weddings, and it pissed me off so much. so expensive, so WASTEFUL. so bullshit. so i'm doing this because i've always been told that this is supposed to make me happy, right???

    whatever you decide to do, it should be a unique artistic expression born of the interplay between the imaginations of the two of you.

    i'm not saying that spending money is always terrible, but "well sometimes it's necessary in order to properly celebrate an occasion" is some uncreative/not thinking outside the box bullshit, an excuse to pretend for a day that you've achieved the american dream.

  12. #37
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    i don't really believe in marriage, or at least i agree with zom in that i don't think it's any of the state's business. definitely i would never have a big public expensive wedding. i've worked a job at a banquet hall, often doing weddings, and it pissed me off so much. so expensive, so WASTEFUL. so bullshit. so i'm doing this because i've always been told that this is supposed to make me happy, right???

    whatever you decide to do, it should be a unique artistic expression born of the interplay between the imaginations of the two of you.
    I'm not sure if this directed at me or not, but if it is...

    It is the state's business if they're giving you state benefits. It's not their business WHO you marry, but it is their business to acknowledge the marriage.

    Do you feel it's a waste of money to host a social party too? Is it a waste of money to go to clubs? Is it a waste of money for a graduation ceremony?

    Money pays for entertainment and social events. If people have the money, why not? As long as it's not a million bucks. :/ You absolutely don't have to do those things, and I'm the last person who will tell you to, but I do think you're being a pessimist in the worst kind of way.

    i'm not saying that spending money is always terrible, but "well sometimes it's necessary in order to properly celebrate an occasion" is some uncreative/not thinking outside the box bullshit, an excuse to pretend for a day that you've achieved the american dream.
    Never said or implied that.

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    A public wedding ceremony (which is optional) can make the event more memorable and special for the couple as well.
    If this wasn't directed towards me, sorry.

  13. #38
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 242
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Posts
    1,267
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Do you feel it's a waste of money to host a social party too? Is it a waste of money to go to clubs? Is it a waste of money for a graduation ceremony?
    Pretty sure he does think all of those would be a waste of money.

    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

  14. #39
    Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,851
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    what i said was that i don't think that there's any good reason to have a big expensive wedding. there's no reason to spend huge amounts of money on clubbing or to have super lavish social parties, either. i never said that having weddings, or social parties, or going clubbing, is inherently wrong. living excessively in a world where there are so many problems is wrong, though.

    furthermore, i think that if yr creative, you can think of ways to be just as happy, if not happier, using less.

  15. #40
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,108
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Traditionally, the woman takes the man's last name as her own. I think that's a priceless gift that can't be repaid, but I'd settle with a nice ring. I don't expect $10k to be dropped on it, but up to $1k is fine. Unless he's rich, then he should def spend at least $5k. As a side note, it makes me really sad when celebrities spend a million dollars on one useless ring when that could have fed an entire country. :/ Priorities.
    It wasn't meant to be a gift.

    Traditionally, women gave up their last names to give up any rights to property owned by anyone other than their husbands after they are married. That was one of the purposes of a dowry, to insure that the wife had something in the event that there was a divorce, because they were expected to have nothing when it happened. Basically, "traditional" marriage revolves around the idea that men are still sovereign which is why a number of people don't partake in it and just get legally married at a courthouse, or do their own kind of ceremony unrelated to the Christian kind that people are familiar with.

    It's not specifically about inheritance, it's an exchange/transfer of goods and/or services through the use of humans legally. Let's not forget that one of the ways you can gain citizenship over here is through marriage. It's all about the benefits.

    Let me ask you a serious question though: why do you think it's appropriate for a man to spend at least 5k$ on a ring? Why do you even want a ring in the first place when they aren't even a requirement for marriage?

    Also, Zombie, you have a misinformed ideal of divorce. The overwhelmingly majority of married couples do not "use" marriage to take a spouse's money, and very rarely does that happen in an unfair manner. Usually, the judge tries to evenly split the couple's joint-possessions (assets which have accumulated DURING the marriage). And depending on the circumstance, he/she may not even get an entire half of what their spouse made within the span of time the marriage has existed, based on numerous factors.
    Lol, yeah they do. It happens a lot a people are particularly vicious about about.

    It's possible for a wife to gain half of certain things, such as a pension, after being married for a minimum amount of time under set conditions. It has nothing to do with assets acquired during the duration of the marriage, and it isn't technically fair. It's just the law.

    Believe me when I say I know this from experience.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-30-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  16. #41
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    It wasn't a gift.

    Let me ask you a serious question though: why do you think it's appropriate for a man to spend at least 5k$ on a ring? Why do you even want a ring in the first place when they aren't even a requirement for marriage?


    Lol, yeah they do. It happens a lot a people are particularly vicious about about.

    It's possible for a wife to gain half of certain things, such as a pension, after being married for a minimum amount of time under set conditions. It has nothing to do with assets acquired during the duration of the marriage, and it isn't technically fair. It's just the law.

    Believe me when I say I know this from experience.
    It wasn't a gift, and now it is. If I'm going to take my husband's last name, the least he can do is buy me an inexpensive pretty ring.

    At least $5k, if he's rich? Because he can afford it, and a more expensive ring is prettier. Because I want a ring in exchange for taking his last name. However, I'd likely keep my own last name because I like it and rarely meet people with a better one. So I guess I'd have to buy him a pretty ring.

    Lol, not necessarily. People are typically vicious AFTER the relationship has become toxic. Most people's intention when they marry isn't to use it maliciously, that's just a bitter intention after shit goes south.

    Actually, yes, assets are split if they were acquired during the marriage. Assets are possessions such as a car, house, TV, etc.

    I don't really see how it's not fair. You know the rules of marriage before you get in the marriage. It's like getting angry at the ref for faulting your favorite football team that committed a penalty. It's publicly in the rules. Plus, there are two perfectly fine ways to avoid having to split your money.

    However, wives/husbands who care for the children and home deserve half of that money.

    Were you married?

  17. #42
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,108
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    It wasn't a gift, and now it is. If I'm going to take my husband's last name, the least he can do is buy me an inexpensive pretty ring.

    At least $5k, if he's rich? Because he can afford it, and a more expensive ring is prettier. Because I want a ring in exchange for taking his last name. However, I'd likely keep my own last name because I like it and rarely meet people with a better one. So I guess I'd have to buy him a pretty ring.
    I'm sorry, but that is insane.

    Lol, not necessarily. People are typically vicious AFTER the relationship has become toxic. Most people's intention when they marry isn't to use it maliciously, that's just a bitter intention after shit goes south.
    People marry for a wide variety of reasons but a big one is financial security. And that's usually a big reason why they split up as well.

    Actually, yes, assets are split if they were acquired during the marriage. Assets are possessions such as a car, house, TV, etc.
    Assets are not just material possessions, such as the one you listed. There are a lot more than that and they have different rules set to them. Sometimes, people do not have claim on certain things just because they were married, not even including a prenuptial agreement nor is it as easy making a list and literally dividing everything in half like they do on tv.

    I don't really see how it's not fair. You know the rules of marriage before you get in the marriage. It's like getting angry at the ref for faulting your favorite football team that committed a penalty. It's publicly in the rules. Plus, there are two perfectly fine ways to avoid having to split your money.

    However, wives/husbands who care for the children and home deserve half of that money.
    Wow, that's not even close to being an accurate analogy of divorce, or how it works, or what's fair. It really isn't.

    Were you married?
    No, I was not. My parents were however and I can tell you from having to sit down and read the paperwork they showed me, them talking to me about the process as well as their perspectives, and actually witnessing their marriage break apart that it's not so simple as you make it out to be. Everyone's situation is different and there's no default way to handle cases like this, nor is what you describe really fair as you think, even as a blanket statement or a general rule of thumb.

    But you really seem to think it is, so I'm going to stop here.
    Last edited by Kashis; 06-30-2014 at 01:35 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  18. #43
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    I'm sorry, but that is insane.



    People marry for a wide variety of reasons but a big one is financial security. And that's usually a big reason why they split up as well.



    Assets are not just material possessions, such as the one you listed. There are a lot more than that and they have different rules set to them. Sometimes, people do not have claim on certain things just because they were married, not even including a prenuptial agreement nor is it as easy making a list and literally dividing everything in half like they do on tv.



    Wow, that's not even close to being an accurate analogy of divorce, or how it works, or what's fair. It really isn't.



    No, I was not. My parents were however and I can tell you from having to sit down and read the paperwork they showed me, talk to me about the process as well as their perspectives, and actually witnessing marriage break apart that it's not so simple as you make it out to be. Everyone's situation is different and there's no default way to handle cases like this, nor is what you describe really fair as you think, even as a blanket statement or a general rule of thumb.

    But you really seem to think it is, so I'm going to stop here.
    Yes, relying on a husband/wife to supply income while the other is raising children is ideal. Nor will I ever consider that as "using" marriage to acquire money. People seek these goals regardless, married or not. This formula is the most effective for a future family. Zombie specifically stated that people intentionally marry to DIVORCE to acquire money, and I simply responded that that is a very small minority, because it is.

    Actually, it is. Everyone knows there are risks when getting married.

    No, I don't think divorce is simple, but what do you want, a whole ****ing book? Because that's what it would take, which is why I suggested Zombie look up different websites, because there's so much more complicated shit.

    Nor will I agree with your sentiment that it's insane that I would want to continue a tradition of putting a pretty ring on my marital ring finger that my husband gave me as an indicator that I'm taken.

  19. #44
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 269
    Phenoca's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Demacia
    Posts
    6,244
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    [MODERATOR NOTE: Don't make things personal when they aren't personal, like Phenoca did. That is why s/he is temp-banned. If you have a problem with a member, you have three options: 1. get over it, 2. keep it to yourself, 3. get banned (temp or permanent) for disrupting what could have been a normal, productive debate. Phenoca chose the 3rd option.

    -Xenonight2]
    Last edited by Xenonight2; 06-30-2014 at 03:56 AM. Reason: jesus christ

  20. #45
    GRADSCHOOLISHARD Reputation: 781
    Xenonight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    www.onrpg.com
    Posts
    14,356
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    cut it out kids, jesus christ

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •