What happened to Ragnarok Online 2?

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Default What happened to Ragnarok Online 2?

I remember trying it while it was in closed beta in Korea, and even though I didn't particularly like it, it did do some things in an interesting fashion and was pretty stylish.

Now I'm looking at the version of Ragnarok Online 2 that made it into NA, and it's like it isn't even the same game. It's to Ragnarok online what Elder Scrolls Online is to the Elder Scrolls series: It's just a generic, bare-bones grinder with the Ragnarok name.

Can someone please tell me what the hell happened here?
    I liked it more when I was Samus'es girdle.

42 Reputation: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Glace1221 View Post

I remember trying it while it was in closed beta in Korea, and even though I didn't particularly like it, it did do some things in an interesting fashion and was pretty stylish.

Now I'm looking at the version of Ragnarok Online 2 that made it into NA, and it's like it isn't even the same game. It's to Ragnarok online what Elder Scrolls Online is to the Elder Scrolls series: It's just a generic, bare-bones grinder with the Ragnarok name.

Can someone please tell me what the hell happened here?
    They scrapped the original and made that P.O.S of a game. Pretty much sums it up. If you want a game that people think "Ragnarok 2" should have been. Check out Tree of Savior.
    Currently Playing: Mabinogi
    Let me know if you wanna play too!

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Oh, yeah. I've seen Tree of Savior. I really would like to play that, but I doubt there's even plans for it coming to NA yet. Is there some way of playing it now?

From what Wikipedia said, from what it sounds like, they were working on RO2:GotW, but it was in development hell for too long, and they got scared by the negative feedback they got so far, so they decided to scrap it and make a generic, cheap Korean grinder with a few nice features to trick people into playing instead, in an attempt to try and make back the money they spent on RO2:GotW's development.

I wonder if the PS for RO2:GotW is still up?
    Last edited by Glace1221; 06-28-2014 at 04:29 AM.
    I liked it more when I was Samus'es girdle.

Pikachu's Flea Collar Reputation: 21

"...got scared by the negative feedback..."
    The main brick wall they ran into was that people don't like change and when they start fiddling around with the mechanics, graphics, etc of the original Ragnarok game then of course people are going to complain especially when the game has such hardcore fans. This was actually a disaster caused by failed communications between the consumer and developer because the easiest way to remedy resistance to change is to explain WHY you are making these changes and really emphasize the benefits of the changes. If you as a developer cannot explain why the change is beneficial then that is strong evidence to support the idea that the change should not be made :/

Personally, they should just stick to releasing some solid updates for their already existing game Ragnarok Online and hope that they can compete with Tree of Savior upon its release

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 60

I really hated the tile system of the first RO, so RO2 was a welcome change for me. But, the rest of the game sucked. Mainly because a lot of it is pay2win. (See Wedding Tux/Dress, etc.) If they actually would give us story updates, the game would be more bearable. (And fix network issues / lag. Because proxies and VPNs used by users, such as WTFast, actually hurt the servers more than it helps.)

DEMON GIRL APPRECIATION DAY (May 4th)
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next Saving For: PlayStation 4

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

I find the transition of the class system from RO1 to RO2 wasn't bad. The card system transition is a bit of a mix feeling.

What I did not like about RO2 is how linear the world is. It's literally a straight line from low level to high level, which is very demotivating for new comers when there are no player hanging around the low levels. The idea of having multiple training area for a specific level range in an open world environment is long gone. The dungeon now follow the modern method of instances which is not bad, but instance dungeon has it's own flaws too. IMO, they shouldn't make dungeon instance a part of the main quest, because this easily stagnate new player's progression when they have no help.

I quit around the time where I had that underwater dungeon since there wasn't anything else to do, and it was not like they had guild wars either. The main reason I quit was that the cash item for costume were all lottery box, not going to waste my money on some random junk items that I do not even want.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

Don't forget that the first RO2 was still developed by the RO1 development team while they left Gravity because they didn't like how Gravity handled the whole issue. This original development team is really good at thinking of unique game concepts, but unfortunately it proved that new ideas won't work in the MMORPG world and consequently their stand alone game Lime Odyssey didn't even manage to come to NA.

Gravity just switched to "generic" now. But they still keep RO1 alive, even though they ruined it ever since syKim left as game designer to make Granado Espada.

Really, just wait for Tree of Savior. The chance we will see an English release is very high, basically 99%, seeing how active the developers actually communicate with their English audience. I've never seen Asian developers write so much stuff in English before.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

IIRC the devs said they are developing the game in English as well, so it is pretty much a given that it will come to NA eventually. ToS that is.