What makes a good gamer?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

yeah, no, autism doesn't mean you're going to be good at video games.

source: undergrad in speech-language pathology. I've simply studied autism more than you.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    yeah, no, autism doesn't mean you're going to be good at video games.

source: undergrad in speech-language pathology. I've simply studied autism more than you.

Don't think anyone said that. Or what I was saying, anyways. You can't deny that the elements associated with high functioning autism would help you be able to have a more single-mindedness when it comes to games, thus give you the natural ability to become good at games. That is, if games happens to be your focus. It's a dice-roll - being HFA may give you the natural "mindset" to be good at games, but there's a massive chance that you wont be interested in games. And, if you don't, you're not going to be good at it (same with everyone).

So no, just because you have autism does not mean you're going to be good at games. But, if you are a HFA and have an interest in games, it might.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 145

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Don't think anyone said that. Or what I was saying, anyways. You can't deny that the elements associated with high functioning autism would help you be able to have a more single-mindedness when it comes to games, thus give you the natural ability to become good at games. That is, if games happens to be your focus. It's a dice-roll - being HFA may give you the natural "mindset" to be good at games, but there's a massive chance that you wont be interested in games. And, if you don't, you're not going to be good at it (same with everyone).

So no, just because you have autism does not mean you're going to be good at games. But, if you are a HFA and have an interest in games, it might.
    ApocaRUFF completely understood what I said.

I didn't say autism = good at video games. Just that if someone has Asperger's-type autism and has an interest in video games, that person may have a higher chance of devoting his time and energy into it and become really good.

I know someone who is an Aspie and he spends 90% of his time playing LoL and he's diamond. He literally compares everything in life to LoL.

NOR am I saying that all aspies who like gaming will be good. Just a speculation that PERHAPS that may be likely.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253

Well all know you must've caught the first 151 pokemon without trading with the opposite color and catching mew without using the glitch or any other kind of glitch.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

what apoca said.

edit: i only caught like 36 pokemon. i was interesting in beating the story, not catching em all.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post

What are you even talking about? People with HFA don't have a "chance" of being interested in something or not. It's not a dice roll. They are functioning human beings and they can choose whether they play and enjoy video games or not just as we can.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

What are you even talking about? People with HFA don't have a "chance" of being interested in something or not. It's not a dice roll. They are functioning human beings and they can choose whether they play and enjoy video games or not just as we can.
    Most of us didn't "choose" to enjoy games. It's just how it is. We played a game, realized we loved it, and then off we went to play more. We didn't wake up one day and out of the blue go, "This is what I want to dedicate a decent portion of my life to." Plenty of people play games and don't come to that conclusion, because it doesn't mesh with them - it doesn't match with their mindset. And what "mindset" you have is based off numerous factors - most of which happen by chance/coincidence. Probably a decent number are down to genetics, but some based on how you were raised.

As I said, it's like that for everyone, not just "HFA."
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12