Lindsay Lohan Sues ROCKSTAR over GTA V

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 447

Default Lindsay Lohan Sues ROCKSTAR over GTA V

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain...-auto-v-maker/

Last December we reported that actress and controversy magnet Lindsay LNN +0.35% Lohan had called her lawyers about the inclusion of a character with her likeness in the blockbuster video game Grand Theft Auto V.

Now Lohan has filed suit against Take-Two Interactive and subsidiary publisher and developer Rockstar Games, the maker of GTA V.

The suit claims that the character Lacey Jonas is an “unequivocal” reference to Lohan, depicting everything from her likeness to her clothing line to the Chateau Marmont hotel where Lohan once lived.

“The portraits of the Plaintiff (Lohan) incorporated her image, likeness, clothing, outfits, Plaintiff’s clothing line products, ensemble in the form of hats, hair style, sunglasses, jean shorts worn by the Plaintiff that were for sale to the public at least two years” the suit claims.

Suing over a parody strikes me as a bad idea, no matter how desperate one’s situation. Whether Lohan is seeking extra publicity or a cash out on the best-selling video game of all time, it’s more than a little sad that she’d acknowledge that the character Lacey Jonas is a portrayal of herself.

Then again, maybe she hopes to use the cash to pay off the $46,000 tab she left at the hotel Chateau Marmont, an establishment which ultimately had to ban the actress from the premises.

[Update:]

It should be noted that Lohan is not the only famous actress to take offense at her apparent likeness appearing in a video game, though she is the only to file suit.

Juno and Beyond: Two Souls star Ellen Page took issue with the character Ellie from Naughty Dog’s The Last of Us.

“I guess I should be flattered that they ripped off my likeness,” she said at the time, “but I am actually acting in a video game called Beyond Two Souls, so it was not appreciated.”

I don’t think Ellen and Ellie look all that much like one another. The resemblance is certainly less obviously intentional than the Lohan/Jonas affair.

[Update 2:]

According to the Digital Media Law Project: “As a general matter, you will not be held liable for using someone’s name or likeness in a creative, entertaining, or artistic work that is transformative, meaning that you add some substantial creative element over and above the mere depiction of the person. In other words, the First Amendment ordinarily protects you if you use someone’s name or likeness to create something new that is recognizably your own, rather than something that just evokes and exploits the person’s identity.”

I’m not a legal expert, but Rockstar seems to fall well within this guideline. The character in question was not specifically Lohan, and engages in entirely fictional activities that are designed to parody a certain type of celebrity. I sincerely doubt that this case has legs.

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 844

She ran out of drug money and nobody is willing to pay to see her naked anymore so lawsuit was the next logical leap.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

You know you have hit rock bottom when Paris Hilton doesn't mind her parodies and you do.

call me chicken strips Reputation: 500

i mean, it's parody.

it's a joke. but if they ripped off using stuff from her line then she might have a case.

but what do i know about the law

Reading: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (50%)
    Last read: A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5), A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (3.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 69

People have the right to parody. No case.

Now for your viewing pleasure.

It's Bacon!!! Reputation: 271

Upon seeing this thread I made the realization that I have no idea who Lindsay Lohan is. After going through her filmography I officially hate anyone who's ever wasted precious time and calories thinking about this woman. She's done nothing of notable significance. Not only is she not important enough for Rockstar to listen to her, she's not important enough for Rockstar to put her into a game in the first place. She is the most arbitrary celebrity I have ever seen.

I hate Rockstar for wasting their time with her.
    I hate Erik Kain for giving her stupid lawsuit publicity.
    I hate Forbes for paying Erik to make me angry.
    I hate Lindsey Lohan for thinking she's important.
    But above all else I hate society for deciding that Lindsay Lohan of all people deserves our collective attention.

Now I'm going to go eat chocolate ice cream and play old Kirby games before I start strangling puppies out of pure rage.

Couldn't Take It No More
    So I Became Hardcore

Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.

After I saw The Parent Trap I thought Lindsay Lohan had a twin sister who was also an actress for like my entire life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacn View Post
    stuff
    Last edited by Loric; 07-03-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 277

this seems like kind of a non-event. even if rockstar lose (unlikely) they'd be just fine. so i don't really care.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 577
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

mean girls is good

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Bacn View Post
    She's done nothing of notable significance.
    Perhaps not intentionally but she has turned herself into an example of what usually happens to child actors/actresses. Hopefully, future generations of child stars will know about her story and turn themselves into serious actors.