Building a PC with $400

  1. #1
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 16
    Lahdeedah3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Building a PC with $400

    My laptop finally just went...and I'm only looking to spend $400 on a PC but I honestly dont even know how to tell what parts go with each other and that. I'd like to be able to play Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, WoW, Wildstar, and stuff like that. What setting I'd have to play them on doesn't matter to me as long as it's smooth. If someone could build something for me I'd appreciate it...And something with a cd drive so I dont have to use a USB to install windows. Oh and after the $400 if someone could recommend me a monitor...below $100, dont really care how big it is. Thanks if anyone can help.
    Currently Playing:
    Nothing

  2. #2
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lahdeedah3 View Post
    My laptop finally just went...and I'm only looking to spend $400 on a PC but I honestly dont even know how to tell what parts go with each other and that. I'd like to be able to play Minecraft, Elder Scrolls, WoW, Wildstar, and stuff like that. What setting I'd have to play them on doesn't matter to me as long as it's smooth. If someone could build something for me I'd appreciate it...And something with a cd drive so I dont have to use a USB to install windows. Oh and after the $400 if someone could recommend me a monitor...below $100, dont really care how big it is. Thanks if anyone can help.
    For the monitor I am going to recommend buying anything 1080p refurb'd. Your options are fairly limited at below $100 and you'll be stuck with a low end tn panel.

    As for the PC. It can be done using AMD's APU series but I don't have a parts list atm. When I return home I'll give you one.

    Just making sure you're in the US?
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.


  3. #3
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 16
    Lahdeedah3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    For the monitor I am going to recommend buying anything 1080p refurb'd. Your options are fairly limited at below $100 and you'll be stuck with a low end tn panel.

    As for the PC. It can be done using AMD's APU series but I don't have a parts list atm. When I return home I'll give you one.

    Just making sure you're in the US?
    Yeah, I'm in the US

  4. #4
    Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 44
    firemonk98's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    240
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Don't see it being possible to run Skyrim on a 400$ PC. I'm sitting on an 800$ one and the game doesn't run very smoothly.

  5. #5
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firemonk98 View Post
    Don't see it being possible to run Skyrim on a 400$ PC. I'm sitting on an 800$ one and the game doesn't run very smoothly.
    What are you running? My old Gateway 7805U could run Skyrim on High with a bunch of mods. If you can't then you need to optimize your PC dawg.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.


  6. #6
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 16
    Lahdeedah3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    I actually meant Oblivion. Oblivion is my favorite of the series.

  7. #7
    Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141
    Phanein's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Frederick, Maryland
    Posts
    797
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    [PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93G7pg) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93G7pg/by_merchant/)

    Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad750kwohjbox) | $79.50 @ Amazon
    **Motherboard** | [MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a78me35) | $52.99 @ Amazon
    **Memory** | [Crucial 4GB (2 x 2G DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...kit25664ba160b) | $44.99 @ Newegg
    **Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western...ive-wd5000aakx) | $51.49 @ Amazon
    **Video Card** | [XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r7260xznj4) | $89.99 @ Newegg
    **Case** | [Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-fbm01) | $29.99 @ Amazon
    **Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430) | $19.99 @ Newegg
    | | **Total**
    | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $368.94

    Things to upgrade when you can: RAM and your hard drive.

    It won't be winning any beauty pageants.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.


  8. #8
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 16
    Lahdeedah3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    431
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    [PCPartPicker part list](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93G7pg) / [Price breakdown by merchant](http://pcpartpicker.com/p/93G7pg/by_merchant/)

    Type|Item|Price
    :----|:----|:----
    **CPU** | [AMD Athlon X4 750K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad750kwohjbox) | $79.50 @ Amazon
    **Motherboard** | [MSI A78M-E35 Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-motherboard-a78me35) | $52.99 @ Amazon
    **Memory** | [Crucial 4GB (2 x 2G DDR3-1600 Memory](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/crucial...kit25664ba160b) | $44.99 @ Newegg
    **Storage** | [Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/western...ive-wd5000aakx) | $51.49 @ Amazon
    **Video Card** | [XFX Radeon R7 260X 1GB Core Edition Video Card](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-video-card-r7260xznj4) | $89.99 @ Newegg
    **Case** | [Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/rosewill-case-fbm01) | $29.99 @ Amazon
    **Power Supply** | [Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply](http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx430) | $19.99 @ Newegg
    | | **Total**
    | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $368.94

    Things to upgrade when you can: RAM and your hard drive.

    It won't be winning any beauty pageants.
    Thank you for this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •