Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do most people assumed that being a gamer means you can't get laid?

in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151

Lol gaming hasn't been for the stereotypical nerd since the gameboy launched. Seriously. Everyone plays video games. Be it candy crush, wii, or some pc mmo, everyone who uses technology plays games.

This stereotype isn't even a thing. Maybe in the very early 80s when pocket protector coke bottle glasses dudes were programming asteroids on an old radar machine but not today.

They give away consoles on the price is right.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 248

doesn't matter coz ur all losers anyway.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 62

I say it mostly tongue in cheek. Like when I say Muricah **** yea Im just bein a sarcastic twat.

Internet people and gamers **** with each other all the time. Its just that, ****ing with someone. Don;t know how many times Ive responded with a "go ask your mom, shell know its not true. While your at it ask your sister too.".

Just roll with it. No corner of the internet is safe from being ****ed with, so learn to **** back.

I do miss messing with that one British dude tho. He left like 3-4 years ago I think.
    Last edited by Rebuzzal; 07-04-2014 at 12:27 AM.
    Too much agreement kills a chat.

Banned Reputation: 302

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuzzal View Post
    ...so learn to **** back.
    This is horrible advice.

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

you must spread some rep around before giving more to kamilla

*shrug*

*reps reb, tho*
    Last edited by postrook; 07-04-2014 at 12:54 AM.

TOTALFVCKBOY Reputation: 715

Quote Originally Posted by Murxidon View Post
    I don't like the fact that Xeno talked about having sex. You will always be 15 to me.

Rereading that, it sounded very strange. I didn't mean it like that.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 62

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    This is horrible advice.
    well, its going to happen regardless. You cant stop it. Might as well fire back and have fun with it. Being offended just plays into the game.
    Too much agreement kills a chat.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

The rank of Hardcore Gamer is populated with a lot more dorks and d****s than it is nerds.
    They often prioritize their addiction above all else, meaning they don't get sh*t done.
    There are also lots of social disorders among those hardcore gaming crowd.

So to answer the question. It's a dying stereotype kept alive by sockpoopers, who do nothing with their life and those with mental disorders.

Nerds who play hardcore tend to actually do something productive; like create successful internet content or play professionally.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 241

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Hipsters, a breed that has existed since the beginning of modern civilization, have most recently taken up the guise of nerds and geeks. When people think "nerds are now cool" they really mean those 20-somethings who can be referred to as hipster, not a real nerd.

True nerds and geeks - those fellows who suffer from social anxieties, spend all their free time keeping the **** away from people, who truly don't give a single shit about the way they look, etc... Are not popular.

The problem is, even though you correctly identified the Webster's definitions of nerds and geeks, most people identify nerds and geeks as intelligent people. So anyone that excels in one or more academic or technical areas will be considered a nerd/geek to the average Joe. Nerd's & Geek's, by definition, do not fit this stereotype but a lot of nerds & geeks are intelligent. Which leads people to believe that to be a nerd you have to be smart. Over time this has become to the prioritized trait over the social ineptitude and anxieties.

The problem I am having with this is that, even though you're correct by definition, the average Joe will not understand because Hipster's can be skilled in one or more academic or technical areas. Which is the only trait the general populace cares about when it comes to stereotyping. I would most likely be described as a hipster, though I don't like restricting definitions of character, even though I am socially awkward, have a mental disorder, and excel in one or more technical areas. I do care about my appearance and have an extremely large pool of friends. But, to the general public, I am often called a geek.

So, it's my opinion that these definitions of what a "real nerd" is just don't fit with our current generations definitions.

-----------------------------

OP, Gamers =/= Hipsters, Nerds, or Geeks. Frat bros game, old men game, your grandma could be a gamer. I grandmother would kick your ass at halo. Everyone who picks up a controller is a gamer, but not everyone is a hardcore gamer. Though, even in the hardcore category, there are still plenty of people who would never be called nerds. The only thing that keeps people thinking that gamer=no life is that most of the gamers that get publicized, in English speaking countries, are people that look like they have no life. Look at a Korean gaming mag. I know some semi-professional Korean gamers (like minor league for gaming) who are extremely popular. That's the difference the media can make on society.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 366

I guess people think that way because the reasonable way to interpret a term like "gamer", is "a person who spends substantial amount of times on games", and such a person would therefore not really be spending substantial amount of time on stuff that "the average person" cares about, which probably make up important factors of what they consider to be attractive in an individual.
    And, who would want to screw an individual they don't find attractive?

I see more and more people trying to "take back" the term gamer, and go on and on about how casual gamers are gamers too bla bla bla... But, here's the thing. Language and psychology doesn't work like that.

If I told you I'm a reader, you wouldn't take that to mean that I read a few popular works when I was a kid, or that I read newspapers now and then. You would rightly assume that I am, at this present time in my life, a person who spends substantial amounts of time on reading books.

If I told you I watch movies as a past-time hobby, you wouldn't take that to mean that I used to watch movies as a kid, or that I watch the occasional chick-flick on Saturday nights once a month. You'd right assume that I'm the kind of guy who's watched a lot of movies, probably a few classics, and who enjoys rigging myself down in front of the TV on a regular basis, to watch the latest movie of public interest.

If you say you're a gamer, people will assume that you own a console or two, and/or a PC, that you've played a lot of classics and new popular games, that you're the kind of guy who enjoys talking about games, and who takes substantial time out of your day to sit down and game.
    Many people don't think that's an attractive quality because
    A) They don't get the point of gaming, at least not dedicating a substantial amount of time to it.
    They don't enjoy talking about, or thinking about gaming when they're not gaming.
    C) They're naturally skeptical of a person who'd choose to define themselves using such a loaded term as "gamer", instead of defining themselves by other more socially appealing aspects like "I like to work out, read, party with my friends, go on romantic dinners", and so forth.

Many people who like to game, gets laid. Many gamers also get laid. The problem is though, the most people make a distinction between somebody who likes to game occasionally, and a person who is a "gamer", and many of those people find the term "gamer" and what it represents to be unappealing as hell.
    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

I have borderline personality disorder with paranoia and anxiety with a mean dosage of schizo affective disorder. i sit in front of my pc most time all day but i am not a nerd. i am not a geek. i am not part of any sub culture except my own. i live life day to day as i never know when ima go off and blow my brains out lol. but yea not all who sit in front of a pc are nerds geeks hipster or whatever

$$$

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i am not part of any sub culture except my own
    lol yes you are dubs. but that's ok because so is everyone

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    This is horrible advice.
    You're horrible advice

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 758

Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Why is that? I seen it happen in Onrpg occasionally too, even though majority of us are gamers....

Is there still a negative connotation to being a nerd/gamer?

I know that being a nerd is popular in East Asian countries like China, Japan, Korea. Not sure about the west though.
    well.. i'm a gamer and i cant get laid. what other proof you need

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 248

Quote Originally Posted by Abhorsen View Post
    well.. i'm a gamer and i cant get laid. what other proof you need
    You live in The Netherlands and you can't get laid.
    People from The Netherlands can't get laid.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 125

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    lol yes you are dubs. but that's ok because so is everyone
    umm no im not. i dont spend all day on games. i spend half on games other half on music and or writing and the best of all READ

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilla View Post
    I feel insulted. I'm from the netherlands and I get laid....

$$$

Quote Originally Posted by Kamilla View Post
    The Dutch will all die out in a matter of years.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

whoever made that venn diagram was probably a bit obsessive

Forum PvPer Reputation: 241

According to that I'm a geek. #GeekBros4Lyfe
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 445

Who gives a **** what people assume of you. They're not living your life.
    Just do you. Just be you.

Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

Quote Originally Posted by TreyTrey12 View Post
    Who gives a **** what people assume of you. They're not living your life.
    Just do you. Just be you.
    I do me. Sometimes twice a day. Got that covered.