Why do most people assumed that being a gamer means you can't get laid?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,078
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Why do most people assumed that being a gamer means you can't get laid?

    Why is that? I seen it happen in Onrpg occasionally too, even though majority of us are gamers....

    Is there still a negative connotation to being a nerd/gamer?

    I know that being a nerd is popular in East Asian countries like China, Japan, Korea. Not sure about the west though.

  2. #2
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,644
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    You are using nerd and gamer as if they were interchangeable terms. That might be the source of your confusion.

  3. #3
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,078
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    You are using nerd and gamer as if they were interchangeable terms. That might be the source of your confusion.
    Well to most people... They usually mean the same thing.

    As in a gamer is part of the Nerd group.

  4. #4
    やめてください! Reputation: 296
    Orpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    9,644
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Well to most people... They usually mean the same thing.

    As in a gamer is part of the Nerd group.
    Well that might be your answer. People believe gamers are all nerds or geeks when usually that's not the case. I would say there's a larger number of gamers that don't conform to the nerd or geek stereotype than nerds or geeks that aren't gamers.

  5. #5
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,078
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Well that might be your answer. People believe gamers are all nerds or geeks when usually that's not the case. I would say there's a larger number of gamers that don't conform to the nerd or geek stereotype than nerds or geeks that aren't gamers.
    But I always thought that nerds are gaining more popularity in the west. 0.0

  6. #6
    Game Journalist Reputation: 407

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    5,560
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    But I always thought that nerds are gaining more popularity in the west. 0.0
    Hipsters, a breed that has existed since the beginning of modern civilization, have most recently taken up the guise of nerds and geeks. When people think "nerds are now cool" they really mean those 20-somethings who can be referred to as hipster, not a real nerd.





    True nerds and geeks - those fellows who suffer from social anxieties, spend all their free time keeping the **** away from people, who truly don't give a single shit about the way they look, etc... Are not popular.



    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-03-2014 at 09:04 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

  7. #7
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253
    HamsterMascot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamsterville
    Posts
    12,795
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Why is that? I seen it happen in Onrpg occasionally too, even though majority of us are gamers....

    Is there still a negative connotation to being a nerd/gamer?

    I know that being a nerd is popular in East Asian countries like China, Japan, Korea. Not sure about the west though.
    No, but making topics like these shows atleast you aren't getting laid.

  8. #8
    Olpah's Object Reputation: 323
    postrook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    killjoy
    Posts
    2,788
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    ^ .
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

  9. #9
    ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴ Reputation: 534
    Xenonight2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    www.onrpg.com
    Posts
    13,516
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    play nice, kids


    Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

    Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

  10. #10
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,049
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    So....

    What is that getting laid thing you guys are talking about?

    Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •