Why do most people assumed that being a gamer means you can't get laid?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Why do most people assumed that being a gamer means you can't get laid?

Why is that? I seen it happen in Onrpg occasionally too, even though majority of us are gamers....

Is there still a negative connotation to being a nerd/gamer?

I know that being a nerd is popular in East Asian countries like China, Japan, Korea. Not sure about the west though.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

You are using nerd and gamer as if they were interchangeable terms. That might be the source of your confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    You are using nerd and gamer as if they were interchangeable terms. That might be the source of your confusion.
    Well to most people... They usually mean the same thing.

As in a gamer is part of the Nerd group.

やめてください! Reputation: 296

Quote Originally Posted by Espada1 View Post
    Well to most people... They usually mean the same thing.

As in a gamer is part of the Nerd group.
    Well that might be your answer. People believe gamers are all nerds or geeks when usually that's not the case. I would say there's a larger number of gamers that don't conform to the nerd or geek stereotype than nerds or geeks that aren't gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
    Well that might be your answer. People believe gamers are all nerds or geeks when usually that's not the case. I would say there's a larger number of gamers that don't conform to the nerd or geek stereotype than nerds or geeks that aren't gamers.
    But I always thought that nerds are gaining more popularity in the west. 0.0

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

But I always thought that nerds are gaining more popularity in the west. 0.0
    Hipsters, a breed that has existed since the beginning of modern civilization, have most recently taken up the guise of nerds and geeks. When people think "nerds are now cool" they really mean those 20-somethings who can be referred to as hipster, not a real nerd.

True nerds and geeks - those fellows who suffer from social anxieties, spend all their free time keeping the **** away from people, who truly don't give a single shit about the way they look, etc... Are not popular.

Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-03-2014 at 10:04 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 69

My definitions...
    Gamer - Someone who play games
    Geek - Someone who is very fascinated in a particular subject (Very knowledgeable towards a specific hobby)
    Nerd - Someone with superior academic intellect

What they all have in common is that most of the time, these people have a lack of social skills so they rarely interact with anyone in real life. Geeks aren't as bad though. They can be very sociable such as car geeks or political geek. Computer geeks just spend all their time on the computer which contribute to their lack of social skills. Yu-gi-oh geeks well... I'm sure that's a major turn-off. Haha!

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

I dunno, I've played a lot of video games and had a lot of sex. In fact, most people have sex, and that includes gamers, old people, married people, etc, a lot of people society deems as not having much sex. In fact, the stereotypical person who has a lot of sex, i.e. single young adult, has some of the lowest reported sexual satisfaction of any sort of demographic in the US. Married people, people aged 65+, etc, tend to be significantly more satisfied.

Ya'll are paying too much attention to cultural tropes and stereotyping instead of paying attention to the actual trends in society imo

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 253

Why is that? I seen it happen in Onrpg occasionally too, even though majority of us are gamers....

Is there still a negative connotation to being a nerd/gamer?

I know that being a nerd is popular in East Asian countries like China, Japan, Korea. Not sure about the west though.
    No, but making topics like these shows atleast you aren't getting laid.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

^ .
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast