Now that I think about it

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Now that I think about it

America has a shitton of references to old gods and deities, pagan traditions, and other crap of that type. We're a country of symbolism.

Such as the Statue of Liberty, aka Libertas. The wide-spread use of the "fish symbol" - though it's now used in relation to Christianity. But it's literally everywhere once you start looking. A huge number of newspapers have an astrology section. Off the top of my head, I think the only people who think about Astrology symbols and blood types more than Americans are the Japanese and possibly a portion of China. We basically worship our flag. Once you're outside of the cities, a majority of households have several flags. You can't go too far before you see another flag.

I'm guessing a lot of cultures do this, but lot of people in America keep items they consider important or "lucky" on their person at all times, because they feel "naked" without them. Personally, I keep a $2 bill (I think everyone should have one, honestly. Because they're eff'in cool), a gold dollar, a cross-coin, and a weird necklace thing I found when I was like 7 in my wallet at all times. I don't even think about, they've just accumulated over the years. Sometimes I just come across someone that I feel that I need to keep.

My mom will not cross a black cats path. She will literally do a U-turn in a busy street if she has to. 13 is considered the most unlucky of numbers, and many buildings will not use the number on their floors (tho not some of the newer ones, I think). They just skip the number.

Just about every old or important building has a "guardian" of some type hidden in it (or often in plain view). Be it a statue of some humanoid or animals, or a painting, or whatnot. An example being Patience and Fortitude in front of the New York public Library. People don't state that they think about it that way, but I'm guessing many of them nod or say a greeting in their head while passing such figures. "Hello there, old Patience. Since you're still perched there, I've got to assume that things haven't gone to shit."

It goes on and on.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

it's the illuminati, ya see

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 181

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

That reminds me. While playing Ingress the other day, I visited a cemetery (there was a Veterans memorial in it that is a portal). I noticed this tombstone. There's actually a decent number of masons buried there, it seems.

"....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

i'm pretty sure Thursday is Thor's Day (and Wednesday is Woden's Day, and I think Friday is named after Frigg/Freya)
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 676
    wasps, wet socks, and bad vibes: the theskald story

sunday is named after Skaši, the norse goddess of winter

edit: this wasn't a very good joke. you can still have the sun out during winter. i should've said the norse god of the moon or something, but i don't think that exists. oh well.
    Last edited by TheSkald; 07-03-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

you can't fool me, sunday is named after sunn o)))
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Ritual is the fabric of the human world.

Symbols are the tools of these rituals.

I think that what you say about the US isn't just true there. I also think that you are not seeing the full of it. There isn't a thing that isn't a performance of some Ritual. Rituals are everything there is.

Stay frosty.

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 145

/shrug

I have a collection of cross jewelry and I'm atheist. I simply think they're pretty. You want to see them?? I have some good-ass jewelz.

People display flags because it represents our country and pride for our country.

Unfortunately, people are very gullible and believe in stupid shit, such as religion and superstitions. My mom literally won't wash clothes on January 1, because it'll "wash someone away" in our family. PfbbbbtBAHAHAHAHA.

My grandma and my non-biological grandma both died in 2012. I guess she did it wrong.

RIP my sweet gwammas.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista