The below stuff:
Originally Posted by kululu
Speaking of Leviathan. If you've ever played PSO2, and did that water torrent/tunnel instance, Leviathan's will be similar, yet freshly new. (The background also bobs up and down when the entire ship is pushed down to one side by Leviathan.) In all, the developers did an extremely good job at rendering details and everything. FFXIV has no "Skill tree" Choice system. When you gain levels, skills are auto-unlocked, you cannot choose which you get. Also, you can cross-class skills from other classes. (Some Advanced Jobs, will restrict these.) One character can be everything currently. (When "Dark Knight" is added, Yoshida wants to force you to give up "Paladin.")
- Good graphics (Note: The game uses FXAA, rather than an optimized SMAA. If you're having trouble with this, you should download a SweetFX Preset. Since SweetFX will force the game to use SMAA. Water reflections will also render behind objects no matter if you have occlusion set to on.)
- Good UI (Everything is move-able.)
- Skills, Item Images are very good. (Also, every single equip in the game basically has its own model. Save for belts.)
- Good questing. (When doing certain story quests, you will be entering certain solo instances that make you FEEL like you're part of the game's story.)
- Good End-Game. (When you finish the final story quest, "The Ultimate Weapon", you open all the side-story quests like Delivery Moogle (July 8th) and Hildibrand. As well as the continuation into the 7th Astral era such as Leviathan.)
Some terms you need to know before getting into FFXIV:
Job: Term used to describe advanced classes such as White Mage, Black Mage, Monk, Dragoon, Paladin, Warrior, etc.
Class: Term used to describe base classes such as Gladiator, Conjurer, Arcanist.
Free Company: Term used to describe player-run "Guilds" like other MMORPGs.
Guild: Term used to describe the in-game NPC Factions such as Lancer's Guild, Archer's Guild, etc.
After you complete your level 30 class quest, the appropriate job quest will unlock, but, you cannot do them without certain class combinations:
By the time you reach Normal Mode Brayflox's Longstop, you will need to know your class inside and out. Since it's the first "Hard" dungeon of the Normal Modes.
Bard = 30 Archer / 15 Pugilist (<< Support DPS)
Summoner = 30 Arcanist / 15 Thaumaturge (<< DOT DPS Magic)
Scholar = 30 Arcanist / 15 Conjurer (<< Sustain Heals)
Dragoon = 30 Lancer / 15 Marauder (<< Burst DPS Melee)
Black Mage = 30 Thaumaturge / 15 Archer (<< Burst DPS Magic)
White Mage = 30 Conjurer / 15 Arcanist (<< Burst Heals)
Monk = 30 Pugilist / 15 Lancer (<< DPS Melee)
Warrior = 30 Marauder / 15 Gladiator (<< Hard Tank)
Paladin = 30 Gladiator / 15 Conjurer (<< Easy Tank)
Ninja = 30 Rogue / ?? Unknown (<< DOT DPS Melee) (Patch 2.4)