Like the SCP Foundation, Twilight Zone, Paranormal Detective Work, etc...?

Game Journalist Reputation: 394

Default Dark Secret - Like the SCP Foundation, Twilight Zone, etc...?

Found this pretty neat series on Netflix tonight. It's called "Dark Secrets" and it's completely fictional, but they present it as a sort of documentary-styled investigation of a bunch of different paranormal stuff. For example, the first one episode is about a house in a small town that seems to have "eaten"(kinda) it's owner.

The narrator is presented as a sort of detective. The image you get of him is some 1950's detective with a trench coat and a smoking problem. That's also the look and feel you get of the visuals that are often used, too. They seem to go into great detail with it, as well. Lots of evidence, reports, and other neat stuff for the stories are made to make it feel quite real. They go into incredible detail with it all, which is what I like about it.

It actually reminds me a lot of the SCP Foundation stories, though a bit more serious and (at least so far), there is no mention of a secret organization trying to cover it all up.

And here's a couple of screencaps.

Just keep in mind, don't be a tard and remember the show is fiction. A lot of people get angry about it because they can't realize that it's fiction soon enough and they feel lied to or like the creators of the show are making fun of human intelligence. That's an actual quote from a rant I read while looking for a wiki page on the show (which doesn't exist yet).

SO BEFORE WATCHING THE SHOW, KEEP THESE THINGS IN MIND:
    1. The shows over-all story is that a secret room is found full of documentary equipment and recordings. The voice heard in these recordings is said to belong to the Documentor, AKA The Detective. This is why you often see an old-style recording device playing old-style tapes when the guys voice is heard. It is also why all the documents and what-not look very old
    2. To recap that last point, that means the documentary stuff found is QUITE OLD, and that's why the Vietnam guys in the second episode look so young - the video is recorded several years (possibly decades?) before they are found and then presented on the show. Perhaps the overall show provides the reenactments, but the interviews and whatnot are done by the Detective.
    3. THE SHOW IS FICTION - Keep this in mind or you wont have fun.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-05-2014 at 07:36 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Yeah I just got done rating it 2 star and deleting it from my list lol.

I was pissed because they don't make it clear enough its fake. And in the beginning the story about the teller? Too cliche.

I'll give it another try when I'm not miserable with a hangover. But I'd rather rewatch x files.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 284

Why would anyone need to specify that this series is fictional? I mean, it's about "paranormal" stuff, which is based on people's paranoid delusions about the nature of reality, so it would be fiction even if it was based on "true" accounts.

Fake paranormal stories are fiction.
    "True" paranormal stories are fiction.
    It's all fiction people, let's move on.

No, ghost, spirits, demons and souls don't exist. If you think they do, yes, you should go see a psychologist.

inb4 paranoid delusional people go :
    "u r closed-minded i have had paranormal experience lol sleep-paralysis lol once i saw a shadow-man by my bed-stand lol1o1l1o1lol"

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Quote Originally Posted by hian View Post
    Why would anyone need to specify that this series is fictional? I mean, it's about "paranormal" stuff, which is based on people's paranoid delusions about the nature of reality, so it would be fiction even if it was based on "true" accounts.

Fake paranormal stories are fiction.
    "True" paranormal stories are fiction.
    It's all fiction people, let's move on.

No, ghost, spirits, demons and souls don't exist. If you think they do, yes, you should go see a psychologist.

inb4 paranoid delusional people go :
    "u r closed-minded i have had paranormal experience lol sleep-paralysis lol once i saw a shadow-man by my bed-stand lol1o1l1o1lol"

That's what I feel like. I just can't wrap my head around how someone could get angry because the show didn't specify it's fiction - it's obvious from the get-go.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[7/23]----------(Now recruiting for ArcheAge!!!)[4/28]

Because the first episode isn't that. It's about a dude who fused with his wall and burned to death. Spontaneous combustion is an actual phenomenon despite what you may believe. He also could have grabbed a hit wire and died. I thought it was gonna be more of a "look at this strange unexplained thing that happened, here are some facts". Instead it's presented as reality t.v. there are lots of bizarre unexplained deaths they could choose from. Making one up seems lazy.

I guess if I look at the show now knowing what it is, I don't dislike it as much. Still not my cup o tea really.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 284

Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Because the first episode isn't that. It's about a dude who fused with his wall and burned to death. Spontaneous combustion is an actual phenomenon despite what you may believe. He also could have grabbed a hit wire and died. I thought it was gonna be more of a "look at this strange unexplained thing that happened, here are some facts". Instead it's presented as reality t.v. there are lots of bizarre unexplained deaths they could choose from. Making one up seems lazy.

I guess if I look at the show now knowing what it is, I don't dislike it as much. Still not my cup o tea really.
    I wasn't really aiming that post at you.

I'm not sure I get what you're trying to say though.
    Spontaneous combustion has nothing to do with the supernatural, and is a very specific type of phenomenon that is caused very specific circumstances, all which can be demonstrated through empirical science.
    A show about the supernatural isn't going to present a supposed supernatural phenomenon and then go "look here, Spontaneous combustion.", because that would mean that there was nothing supernatural going on.

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

The first episode is about a house that "eats" people via burning them into itself. It's kinda hard to explain. If the house is hungry, it will pull you into itself while at the same time burning you. Before, the house wasn't a problem because it fed off of small animals like squirrels, birds, dogs and cats, etc... However, the problems began to start once a a fence was put up around their yard, making it a bit more difficult for the house to get fed. So it ate one of its human occupants.

The Teller/Detective decides that the house is cursed, at the end, and goes on to tell us about the newest occupants of the house - a young man, his wife, their two children and dog. So you know a few of them are going to get ate, as they decided to keep the fence up for their children and dog.

The stories the show presents try to be "reaslistic" while at the same time being quite far-fetched - such as a cursed house that feeds itself by causing things to melt/burn into it. Or in the second episode, where a man in the Vietnam war has a smaller, second brain in his head that causes him to go into berserker mode whenever he's in danger. Or the episode after that, where some pre-historic type monster kills and eats a diver.

They're all things that make it seem like it maybe could happen (spontaneous combustion, a guy blacking out and forgetting horrible things he had done in a fight during a war, a diver getting killed by something in the water like a shark), but they have a super-natural twist that gets over-looked by everyone except by the people the events happened too and the Teller himself who digs deeper.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-07-2014 at 12:06 AM.
    -Cingal

Well shit I guess I stopped watching before I saw the monster house part lmao.

Hian my interpretation of the part of the show I watched was what I figured could have been a case of spontaneous combustion. That's where I got it from in relation to this :P

I'll give the show another go...I guess I didn't give it a proper shot. I think I googled the victims name and when I read "no its fake" I thought they were faking realistic phenomena like combustion. I'll check it out if its blatantly fictitious

Watched the time-travel episode today. Was pretty interesting. Similar in theme to the other episodes - something that at a first glance looks like something that could completely happen - a 75k year old homo sapien skeleton found in North America (something unheard of previously, not completely unlikely) and an accident with an experimental air force technology. No one (but the government) knows the truth, except for the Teller of course, but the evidence is there if anyone put two and two together.

Also, I've been starting to keep some minor notes on the episodes. I've been thinking about going back and taking more detailed notes on all the episodes. Just for fun and to see how the story of the Teller lines up. So far I know that the Teller worked in at least one government agency in the top echelon, due to his ability to call in favors that completely bypass top security and whatnot. I'm wondering if he did this sort of investigation for the FBI prior to going freelance and becoming the Teller.

This is why I like the show. It's interesting and makes you think a bit. Same reason I love The Secret World and the Alternate Reality Game portion of Ingress.
    -Cingal