The MMO that never was

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default The MMO that never was

I would like to hear your ideas about what would be the best mmo for you. Anything be it the naming system, the combat, the politics, skills, maps, mobs, leveling systems and whatever you might think a perfect mmo should have. Or maybe you like some mmo to death, but it has something that bugs you, or a missing feature, tell us, and if luck have it by the end of this threads life we will have come to some conclusion on what kind of game would satisfy us.

Express your theories and hypotheses, and above all have fun.

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

dark souls combat system, instanced world ala Guild Wars 1, level design ala dark souls or demon's souls (not dks2, tho), RPG progression of World of Warcraft, art direction of guild wars 2.

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

I may be paranoid and a bit jaded but I automatically assume you're here to steal ideas.

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

posh, nothing gets stolen from the internet

- - - Updated - - -

except for Loric's dignity haha

- - - Updated - - -

I stole that when I uploaded photos of his awful beard

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

b2p first person mmo low fantasy simulation. add more content to the world by selling it as dlc. imagine wurm online with better controls/better immersion/less abstractions/more content.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    b2p first person mmo low fantasy simulation. add more content to the world by selling it as dlc. imagine wurm online with better controls/better immersion/less abstractions/more content.

Basically what Life is Feudal wants to do?

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly, a lot of my favorite ideas for MMOs are already in the proccess of happening or already exist. Games like Shores of Hazeron, Wurm Online, and Mortal Online. All are great games and encompass what I would consider my "dream MMO" but they need a lot of content and polish before they reach the god-tier potential they have.

ArcheAge is a fun game and basically what I've always wanted from a Themepark MMO. The only thing it's missing is the extensive house customization found in Star Wars Galaxies. A Star Wars based game with all the key points of ArcheAge would be fantastic - especially the AAA backing.

EverQuest Next sounds amazing on paper, and the Landmark stuff I've seen is awesome. But what I'm truly looking forward to is the promised real-world affect that players can have on the game world - such as helping an NPC town/fortress be built, completely annihilating nearby tribes of goblins, etc... That's some Legendary Moonlight Sculptor type stuff right there.

The only things I want from MMOs in the future are Virtual Reality support, making use of systems like the SixthSense gaming device or the new system that was introduced in E3 this year by the guy who makes videos with FreddieW. Basically the makings of a full VR suit that allows all hand/arm movements to be translated into the game.

Once we have the Oculus Rift, that glove/suit thing, plus a great MMO with strong sandbox elements and a game design that keeps in mind we want to make use of VR tools, but still will want to make use of the mouse and keyboard, I'll be in game heaven. I see that happening within this decade, by 2025.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 22

Any MMO that doesn't need a keyboard and a mouse. Just like what top guy said, Virtual Reality stuff. The only reason I play an MMO is to relive a fantasy world, and it would be much more awesome if I myself can dive into that fantasy world and experience it myself. Something like Sword Art Online is a long shot due to the fact that we don't know that much about how our brain works. But I know in the future, something similar would be invented.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I may be paranoid and a bit jaded but I automatically assume you're here to steal ideas.
    Just steal my idea :P I don't care. I want no credit. Just, someone, make the great fking game !

- Ogre Battle-style combat MMO in browser-based or smartphone.
    - Empire building MMO where a player is simply a citizen. Bunches of players gather to build an empire. and each player chooses what profession to do to help the empire. Can also wage war with other player-made empires.
    - Class-less MMO
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My 3D Character Artist Folio
    ---

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    - Empire building MMO where a player is simply a citizen. Bunches of players gather to build an empire. and each player chooses what profession to do to help the empire. Can also wage war with other player-made empires.
    - Class-less MMO
    That's more or less Shores of Hazeron.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

An MMORPG with real combat and FPS styled hit boxes with the ability to do criticals ONLY if you hit the head or another delicate body part as well as the ability to cut off limbs and for mobs as well as players to be able to bleed to death. How to make this family friendly? Turn the blood pink rainbow colored so instead of mature it becomes hilarious.

OR, an MMORPG like Wurm Online but with a less second job feel, or Everquest Landmark with less "our target audience is 8 year olds" feel.

Basically a game nowadays either needs an impressive crafting system, or an impressive combat system and when it comes down to it the only reason games ever do bad is because of management. All it takes is some tweaks, fun events and a few differences to turn a generic grinder into a relatively fun game. Unfortunately I have seen very few MMORPGs ran like this, but they tend to last quite awhile when they do and I've even seen a few generic as all hell grinders last years just by doing this.

Nutshell: A bit innovative, actually fun and keep the community entertained rather than letting the game run on auto-pilot and die. Also ban botters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast