hey raiyne or someone else, re. guitar stuff

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

Default hey raiyne or someone else, re. guitar stuff

my school loans finally came through and since i'm really good at living cheap apparently i have like 800 cad or so that i'm not sure what to do with. i already spent enough on clothes this year, i have a pretty sweet bike i got from my nonno when he passed away, i have a nice pc and a decent laptop. basically all the stuff i'd really want until i find a place of my own. and i'd rather not just blow it all on films, books, cds and games, which is definitely a thing i could do super easily. but that would be boring.

i was thinking, i have a guitar sitting around here that i haven't used much since the amp that i was using when i bought it wasn't actually mine and i can't use it anymore and i never got round to replacing it. it all seems very expensive and complicated

as far as sound idunno i'm not very good and i don't have like all of the hours and motivation to devote to becoming super good so it's not worth spending a lot of money anyway. but some setup that could potentially sound like this i guess, if that's possible w/ my little budget, could be fun

live vid of the above here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1f5nTnFg6U&t=19m54s

edit: i found this http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=149&t=31674 but obv there are like a zillion entirely different answers here

second edit: or like this i guess lol but this sounds a lot more expensive and i think they're one of those bands who play through like a mountain of marshall stacks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WR324YTLAc&t=28m15s

final edit: someone in that thread says "if you need to spend more than $200 bucks for your entire rig in a garage band, you're doing it wrong" and i hope they're right xd
    Last edited by postrook; 07-08-2014 at 12:56 AM.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

The whole point of a garage band way of doing things is not to spend a whole lot of money, but just use what is available. Buy some used amp, without caring much w/e it is and just use it and get creative?

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    final edit: someone in that thread says "if you need to spend more than $200 bucks for your entire rig in a garage band, you're doing it wrong" and i hope they're right xd
    Sounds about right.
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-08-2014 at 09:26 AM.

Stay frosty.

rereading this i think i forgot to ask an actual question.

so tl;dr plz recommend cheap equipment (everything besides actual guitar itself) for having fun w/ noisy garage rock sound

Aman Reputation: 193

I think you can just get a cheap Marshall practice amp and crank it, dialling in the gain accordingly. They've got that crunchy Marshall tone going on.

Here's the Marshall MG15. It seems to go for about $100.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

YouTube Video
    ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Checkout the second video. He switches to the amp's crunch channel halfway through and it sounds pretty good.

As for Guitar Wolf, yeah it's just a cranked Marshall (proper tube one). The cheap solid state amps try to emulate the sound, and you're not going to get that level of authentic crisp distortion like the older japanese rockers, but it'll work for a garage / punk sound like teengenerate.

As for guitar pedals, there aren't any cheap ones that can give you a marshall sounding distortion/overdrive, they start in the range of $150+. If you want a milder overdrive tone you could get a Boss SD-1.

YouTube Video
    Last edited by Raiyne; 07-08-2014 at 09:57 PM.

If you rescue me, I'll be your friend forever. -- Loric
    Last.fm
    Hey Raiyne

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Quote Originally Posted by Raiyne View Post
    I think you can just get a cheap Marshall practice amp and crank it, dialling in the gain accordingly. They've got that crunchy Marshall tone going on.
    I have a 15W MG series Marshall practice amp. Not gear pron material, but it ought to get you the sound you seek, as a bedroom amp for jamming and practice.

Stay frosty.

awesome. thanks a bunch, nick :]

+rep

and thanks for the confirmation, ronin.

seems pretty versatile too. just turn on the chorus effect ALL THE TIME and i can sound like agalloch :P

edit: ok apparently i repped you pretty recently so i can't. whatever.
    Last edited by postrook; 07-08-2014 at 11:57 PM.

Super Moderator Reputation: 348

nick you starting your own post-metal group? whats it called? /m\

THANKSOBAMA Reputation: 534

me and nick's band is post-coldwave post-hardcore darkfunk, not stupid post-rock which is so maintream and only for posers and sell outs anyway

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    me and nick's band is post-coldwave post-hardcore darkfunk, not stupid post-rock which is so maintream and only for posers and sell outs anyway
    you lie!

Hes making blacker blackend super black blckend black metal