Good Books

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Default Good Books

I just finished book 15 of the Dresden Files and don't have anything to read.
    I'm browsing Amazon and finding it very hard to find a decent book.

Sure, there a lots of things with 4-5 star reviews but the majority of them seem to be "coming of age" crap or mindless erotica.

I would really like to find a well written series that doesn't insult the intelligence of the reader. A lot of the the books I have looked into leave me with the same cheap, dirty feeling I get when I think about reality TV.

Phantom's Freak Reputation: 282

gonna disregard yr saying it has to be a series 'cause that's silly

pattern recognition by william gibson. modern cyberpunk.

breakfast at tiffany's by truman capote. novella about a woman who's a free spirit in the late to post wwii era. movie adaptation kind of shits all over that, but it's good too i guess.

post captain by patrick o'brian. napoleonic naval warfare. part of the series that was the basis for the film master and commander.

trainspotting by irvine welsh. scottish junkies. funny, brutal, awesome. also made into a film, obviously.
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Rock Man Reputation: 84

Sailor Moon is really good.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Coming of Age sort of stories are my favorite. Not specifically when it's actually "coming of age", but the term can also apply to a sort of nothingness-to-greatness or rags-to-riches story, as well. Basically any type of story where the protagonist starts out as nothing special, but then makes something of himself.

That being said, try the Codex Alera series from the same guy that wrote the Dresden Files. One of my all-time favorite series. I think he wrote it before the Dresden Files, and I never read the Dresden Files (not a big fan of written mystery/detective-type fiction).

Most of what I've been reading lately has been sci-fi military fiction. But here are a few of my favorite books from my kindle:

1632 by Eric Flint. Pretty awesome, mostly historicly accurate book (first in a series, actually) about a town in West Virginia that gets sent to 1632 Germany. It's about their fight for survival, the waves they create with their appearance with modern technology/knowledge in the 17th century, etc... The main protagonist is a 30-something ex-boxer and now miners union rep or some-such. Also has some minor characters, including a 17(or 18?) year old chubby geek.

The Seafort Saga by David Feintuch - it's follows a young man in the future-navy of some unified government of Earth. Humans have discovered faster-than-light travel, but voyages can still take months or years where no contact with "home" is possible, so it's resulted in a Navy culture similar to that of the Royal Navy in the 16-18th centuries of England. We follow Nick Seafort as he starts as a midshipman up to captain and further. A decent number of books in the series, all well-written and quite mature intellectually. There are a few suggestions of mature themes (ie sex), but the author realizes he doesn't have to go into detail because we're all (well, mostly) adults and know what happens. It's really unfortunate that the author died, but we're lucky that he completed the series beforehand.

The Temeraire Series by Naomi Novik - Follows a captain in the Royal Navy in an alternate universe where dragons exist. And, in this alternate universe, dragons are used in the military. The captain captures a French ship which is transporting a large dragons egg and, during the voyage to take it back to the homeland, it hatches and attaches itself to the captain. Thus the captain is thrust into the Royal Airforce, which isn't very lucrative compared to the life of a Royal Navy officer, due to full-time dedication required by a captain for his dragon.

Very mature, well-written, and (as much as the word can be applied to this sort of situation) "real".

The Demons of Astlan by J.L. Langland - It's about a young man in our world trying weed for the first time, and finding out that it truly is a gate-way drug. A gate-way to an alternate universe where magic exist and it's being used to pull so-called "demons" into their world to do the bidding of magicians. These demons are people from various plains of existence (such as our own), and the demons are really just normal people pulled into their realm and having their form shaped by what they think demons should look like. It's extremely interesting and fun to read. The protagonist is the young man and his transition from a normal human into a mighty and powerful demon.

Off To Be The Wizard by Scott Meyer - It's a bout a 20-something nerd who likes to hack into protected systems in his spare time. During one of his excapades, he stumbles across the source code of life. After some experimentation and tinkering, he figured out that he can change literally everything about reality just by programming. And so he creates an app for his phone that allows him to do things like teleport himself or add huge amounts of money to his bank account. Unfortunately for him, he screws up and catches the attention of the feds. From there, he gets the great plan to go be Merlin and sends himself to the past. The only problem is he isn't the only person to have discovered the source code, and he isn't the only one to send himself to the past to become Merlin either. It's interesting, funny, and a lot more deep than you initially think it would be.

Edit: If you liked Post Captain, you may enjoy the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Though Hornblower isn't as action-packed for the most part. It's more like an extremely detailed biography of a 17th century officer in the royal navy.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 07-08-2014 at 04:33 AM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

I recommend at least trying the Dresden Files. I had the same mindset at first, thinking it was going to be a boring ride, maybe Humphrey Bogart with a wand but it wasn't.

It's pretty exciting, makes you think, has some really nice twists and a nice supply of humor.
    The series still has 6 or 7 books yet to be released but so far it hasn't suffered from the quality decline a lot of the longer series suffer.

So far, they seem interesting other than Breakfast at Tiffany's, just because WWII doesn't really interest me.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 632
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

lol you're seriously having trouble trying to find a good book?

the wind-up bird chronicle by haruki murakami, neverwhere by neil gaiman, blood meridian by cormac mccarthy, oryx and crake by margaret atwood, the pillars of the earth by ken follett, for whom the bell tolls by ernest hemingway, the haunting of hill house by shirley jackson, in cold blood by truman capote, that old beat-up paperback stephen king novel you have lying around somewhere, native son by richard wright, mrs. dalloway by virginia woolf, the devil in the white city by erik larson, emma by jane austen, a heartbreaking work of staggering genius by dave eggers. those are just some good ones i have on the bookshelf right next to me lol.

try looking for books on goodreads instead of amazon, you'll probably find some better stuff there. you know that old kook kurt vonnegut everyone loves so much? read something by him, find out why everyone loves him so much. read some agatha christie mysteries man. there's so many more good books than you could possibly ever read. you shouldn't ever be stuck trying to find something lol

edit: sorry i sounded pretty condescending and dicky there. try this
    Last edited by TheSkald; 07-08-2014 at 06:25 AM.

True enough but there's also a lot of mediocre stuff. I just donated about 25 such books to the local library.
    (maybe someone will enjoy them)

All I have left on my work shelf is The Hobbit, LotR, Loki, Paradise Lost, Edgar Allen Poe and HP Lovecraft collections.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 632
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

read dat hobbit yo

Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.

Harry Potter

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    Harry Potter
    Lol.

Henderson the rain king.

Stay frosty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast