ArcheAge Closed Beta begins July 17th!

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

Ummm.... Dunno about you lot, but a wipe between Open Beta and Launch is quite normal. Not always, but pretty common.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 121

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    It's a bit more than just pay to test it.
    But the other stuff you get doesn't warrant the 150 USD price tag, least not in my honest opinion.

I just don't get why people enjoy buying things before they're finished, especially indie games that have no legal obligation to ever be finished. Going a little off topic though so anyways

If people want to spend $150 to participate in alpha/beta to bug test then..go for it, it's your money. Though people need to stop thinking Trion somehow NEEDS these to sell or the game will fail, won't publish, etc.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    But the other stuff you get doesn't warrant the 150 USD price tag, least not in my honest opinion.

I just don't get why people enjoy buying things before they're finished, especially indie games that have no legal obligation to ever be finished. Going a little off topic though so anyways

If people want to spend $150 to participate in alpha/beta to bug test then..go for it, it's your money. Though people need to stop thinking Trion somehow NEEDS these to sell or the game will fail, won't publish, etc.
    You're given a decent sum of cash-shop money, plus access to a 4-day Head Start (which means the prime house spots will be open to you... and the hundred thousand other Founders...), a unique title that can only be gained via the Founders pack, 30-90 premium subscription, some alright items, and upgraded gliders right from the start. You also get what I guess is unique-to-founders-pack armor. And, in the case of the $150 pack, a cape that can only be gained from the founders pack.

Between the premium time and cash-shop money, you are getting about 80% of your initial investment back in stuff you would have paid for anyways. The rest go towards those cosmetic armor/capes, the ability to start with a fully leveled glider (which can take a bit of time and money by itself) from the very start, plus the 4-day early access. To me, that's worth it. I don't think many people get the Founder's Packs for the Alpha/beta access alone.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[8/13]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    You're given a decent sum of cash-shop money, plus access to a 4-day Head Start (which means the prime house spots will be open to you... and the hundred thousand other Founders...), a unique title that can only be gained via the Founders pack, 30-90 premium subscription, some alright items, and upgraded gliders right from the start. You also get what I guess is unique-to-founders-pack armor. And, in the case of the $150 pack, a cape that can only be gained from the founders pack.

Between the premium time and cash-shop money, you are getting about 80% of your initial investment back in stuff you would have paid for anyways. The rest go towards those cosmetic armor/capes, the ability to start with a fully leveled glider (which can take a bit of time and money by itself) from the very start, plus the 4-day early access. To me, that's worth it. I don't think many people get the Founder's Packs for the Alpha/beta access alone.
    I had missed the part that head start was separate from the beta(which is why i said it was worth even less), so yes having a head start that won't get wiped is certainly a huge advantage in archage.

As for the items and Cs currency these are obviously of subjective worth.

Again I'm not telling people how to spend their money, just saying that I find their spending odd. At least when it's as big of a sum as 150USD.

Lockhartís are forever Reputation: 10

I don't know, I've been in quite a lot of betas over the years but I don't see many if not it's rare that open beta wipe's. Perhaps it was a time before I started doing beta's. I always thought Open Beta is for the final stress test with limited content and the finishing touch to find any remaining errors they might of left out. Though these days many treat any sort of beta they can access easily as a complete product so it's slowly losing its meaning.

This is what I thought the meaning of the phase's of betas is; Alpha - Closer to raw product of the game testing the basic mechanic's, bugs, and seek flaws of the game. Closed Beta - Closer to finish product, expected to mainly find bugs, exploits, things that might of been left out, and partially stress test the servers as it enter final phase of close beta. Open Beta - Pretty much finish product, mainly used for stress testing the servers and pick up any flaws that might cause problems for official launch. I'm probably wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    I don't know, I've been in quite a lot of betas over the years but I don't see many if not it's rare that open beta wipe's. Perhaps it was a time before I started doing beta's. I always thought Open Beta is for the final stress test with limited content and the finishing touch to find any remaining errors they might of left out. Though these days many treat any sort of beta they can access easily as a complete product so it's slowly losing its meaning.

This is what I thought the meaning of the phase's of betas is; Alpha - Closer to raw product of the game testing the basic mechanic's, bugs, and seek flaws of the game. Closed Beta - Closer to finish product, expected to mainly find bugs, exploits, things that might of been left out, and partially stress test the servers as it enter final phase of close beta. Open Beta - Pretty much finish product, mainly used for stress testing the servers and pick up any flaws that might cause problems for official launch. I'm probably wrong though.
    It is pretty common now days for OB to not wipe so it's not wrong for you to start presuming this will always be the case.

If I had to make the best guess I could give, companies labeling their launch as OB(which would normally be the free sign-up and login on a smaller server to stress test) is to avoid confusion amongst players when some bugs still persist or pop up because bugs are like that, stubborn.

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

If I had to make the best guess I could give, companies labeling their launch as OB(which would normally be the free sign-up and login on a smaller server to stress test) is to avoid confusion amongst players when some bugs still persist or pop up because bugs are like that, stubborn.
    My take on it is that it is done when a game is still being developed and having changes made to it. Apparently though this whole pay for alpha (someone said it was $120 to enter the Russia alpha), closed beta and then open beta before release thing is what XL Games (developer) does.

Taken from wikipedia,
    Initial development of ArcheAge began in 2011, and closed testing of the game took place over two years. Before finally being released in Korea on January 15, 2013, the game went through five closed beta tests and one open beta test.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

I had missed the part that head start was separate from the beta(which is why i said it was worth even less), so yes having a head start that won't get wiped is certainly a huge advantage in archage.

As for the items and Cs currency these are obviously of subjective worth.

Again I'm not telling people how to spend their money, just saying that I find their spending odd. At least when it's as big of a sum as 150USD.
    It's just like P2P games where you can pay for 3months, 6mo, or a full year in advance. If anyone wanna get quite serious in this game, or can totally see themselves still playing it actively in 3 months, then $150 is a pretty dang good investment. Especially if you want to own a powerful guild and such.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 24

open beta for RIFT wiped that was the last one..

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 11

what time can we play from today?

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast