Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: ArcheAge Closed Beta begins July 17th!

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

I have some interesting news guys. Trion isn't considering open beta the actual launch date and will wipe after open beta. There is literally no reason to play until launch, which doesn't have a set date.

In any case, if you want to play the game you are better off playing the RU version because the NA isn't actually being 'launched' for quite some time.

Trion's naming scheme;

Closed beta is called Alpha
    Stress tests are called Closed Beta 'Events' & Open Beta
    Last edited by PoorGamer; 07-16-2014 at 06:34 PM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by PoorGamer View Post
    I have some interesting news guys. Trion isn't considering open beta the actual launch date and will wipe after open beta. There is literally no reason to play until launch, which doesn't have a set date but will likely be in September.

In any case, if you want to play the game you are better off playing the RU version because the NA isn't actually being 'launched' for quite some time.

We are getting excited for no reason.
    So no open beta? just closed beta then wipe then launch? if its coming out in September then yeah might as well wait.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelador View Post
    So no open beta? just closed beta then wipe then launch? if its coming out in September then yeah might as well wait.
    No, they're going to wipe after closed beta AND open beta because they don't consider open beta to be the launch of the game. Open beta itself, which isn't launch, still doesn't have a set date. We are still very far from being able to play without fear of wipes.

Also since open beta never needs keys this whole closed beta is literally just stress testing the servers.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 80

That's confusing, let me sum it up and tell me if it's right or wrong.

Closed Beta -> Wipe -> Open Beta -> Wipe -> Launch

Correct ?
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you. My 3D Character Artist Folio

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    That's confusing, let me sum it up and tell me if it's right or wrong.

Closed Beta -> Wipe -> Open Beta -> Wipe -> Launch

Correct ?
    Yes. Scapes the PR for Trion said that on the forums.

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Scapes View Post
    We are starting CBE1 with two servers, one per region. Bear in mind that we decided to leave Alpha and Omega up during this first event meaning that a percentage of those players will likely not be taking part in CBE1.

It also just dawned on me that since closed beta phases are just stress tests and the founder packs that give beta access are for those phases they actually got people to pay for stress testing the servers.
    Last edited by PoorGamer; 07-16-2014 at 07:25 PM.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 20

That is confusing most publishers don't wipe open beta data's. So stress test, stress test, stress test, and open beta (more stress test). What's the point of open beta then?

Quote Originally Posted by GenoX View Post
    That is confusing most publishers don't wipe open beta data's. So stress test, stress test, stress test, and open beta (more stress test). What's the point of open beta then?
    No idea, but it's a good way to kill a game. At the game's peak they're going to wipe everything and make people start over again.

I am impressed that I haven't gotten banned yet on their forums though.
    Last edited by PoorGamer; 07-16-2014 at 07:48 PM.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

It would be awesome if it was closed beta without week events, you still require a purchase to play it without needing to wait for the events, and for the price they are selling the game im going to wait for the events.

Raider of Empty Tombs Reputation: 25

I went ahead and bought the $50 Silver, to support Trion Worlds.
    I love them and plus I do want to give this game a try so, here it goes tomorrow!

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 31

Quote Originally Posted by iAddison View Post
    I went ahead and bought the $50 Silver, to support Trion Worlds.
    I love them and plus I do want to give this game a try so, here it goes tomorrow!
    I'm thinking of doing the same but only after I get to try it first tomorrow.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 152

So the worth of the packs are even less now.
    Color me surprised.

Also yes, early access is paying to test it.

It's like people don't know what alphas and betas are for or something.

Still hoping for the best with the na server mind you but currently unimpressed with their actions & plans.

It's a bit more than just pay to test it.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I introducing myself here 'cause i can't find the correct section,hope yours to excuse me.
    I registered for a beta key on Archeage and i'll be an active-but-not-annoying-user if i'll be gettin' one

Sincerely not really feeling to spend such amount to purchase a pack but tried the game on russian server (lytsy) and now looking to test eu version.
    Cya all,ingame hopefully

-Z-

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 23

49 GB hard drive space needed for installation...

What the ****ing ****?

Game Journalist Reputation: 95

Quote Originally Posted by PoorGamer View Post
    I have some interesting news guys. Trion isn't considering open beta the actual launch date and will wipe after open beta. There is literally no reason to play until launch, which doesn't have a set date.

Trion's naming scheme;

Closed beta is called Alpha
    Stress tests are called Closed Beta 'Events' & Open Beta
    That's pretty weird. Do you mind linking a source?

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 102

Quote Originally Posted by Geffreyy View Post

What the ****ing ****?
    lolz. its ok.. it gets better once the day is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Abubakr View Post
    That's pretty weird. Do you mind linking a source?
    http://forums.archeagegame.com/showt...l=1#post197032

Incorrect. We will be wiping the Beta servers between Open Beta and Head Start.
    But apparently I overlooked..

Open Beta is not Head Start. These are separate events. There will not be a wipe between Closed and Open Beta.

I'll just keep trying to make them lose potential founder back buyers on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Geffreyy View Post

What the ****ing ****?
    The game comes in a 22GB sized .zip file rather than piece by piece. It unzips it then deletes the original download bringing the installed file size to just over 22GB
    Last edited by PoorGamer; 07-17-2014 at 01:20 AM.

Wand of !!!!!!11!!! Power Reputation: 22

So if I got the forum right "There will not be a wipe between Closed and Open Beta" but "We will be wiping the Beta servers between Open Beta and Head Start."

So no wipe from cbt to obt but from obt to head start well that suck normal game company's often do the other way around wipe from cbt to obt but not from obt to head start.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 16

It's sad that it has come down to Open Beta being the release for most games. Beta is beta, it's meant for testing. Props to Trion for using the terms correctly.

Most of the time, and for the bulk of MMOs that are out there today, open beta isn't wiped for PR reasons. It also allows them leniency where leniency shouldn't be given.
    "Hey, you don't like feature X or Y? That's all right, we're still in open beta."
    "Oh, YOU [a different person] like features A and B? Awesome, you should start playing now because we don't wipe after OB concludes."
    "Great, I get to play this game before release and keep my character. I'll be ahead!"

It's a tactic used for most MMOs other than triple-A titles.
    Last edited by Tecca; 07-17-2014 at 02:08 AM.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 28

they dunno what they're doing lmao.

then again, how could you head start a open beta?

Ummm.... Dunno about you lot, but a wipe between Open Beta and Launch is quite normal. Not always, but pretty common.

Quote Originally Posted by ASNZern View Post
    It's a bit more than just pay to test it.
    But the other stuff you get doesn't warrant the 150 USD price tag, least not in my honest opinion.

I just don't get why people enjoy buying things before they're finished, especially indie games that have no legal obligation to ever be finished. Going a little off topic though so anyways

If people want to spend $150 to participate in alpha/beta to bug test then..go for it, it's your money. Though people need to stop thinking Trion somehow NEEDS these to sell or the game will fail, won't publish, etc.

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

Quote Originally Posted by Acreon View Post
    But the other stuff you get doesn't warrant the 150 USD price tag, least not in my honest opinion.

I just don't get why people enjoy buying things before they're finished, especially indie games that have no legal obligation to ever be finished. Going a little off topic though so anyways

If people want to spend $150 to participate in alpha/beta to bug test then..go for it, it's your money. Though people need to stop thinking Trion somehow NEEDS these to sell or the game will fail, won't publish, etc.
    You're given a decent sum of cash-shop money, plus access to a 4-day Head Start (which means the prime house spots will be open to you... and the hundred thousand other Founders...), a unique title that can only be gained via the Founders pack, 30-90 premium subscription, some alright items, and upgraded gliders right from the start. You also get what I guess is unique-to-founders-pack armor. And, in the case of the $150 pack, a cape that can only be gained from the founders pack.

Between the premium time and cash-shop money, you are getting about 80% of your initial investment back in stuff you would have paid for anyways. The rest go towards those cosmetic armor/capes, the ability to start with a fully leveled glider (which can take a bit of time and money by itself) from the very start, plus the 4-day early access. To me, that's worth it. I don't think many people get the Founder's Packs for the Alpha/beta access alone.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or *******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    You're given a decent sum of cash-shop money, plus access to a 4-day Head Start (which means the prime house spots will be open to you... and the hundred thousand other Founders...), a unique title that can only be gained via the Founders pack, 30-90 premium subscription, some alright items, and upgraded gliders right from the start. You also get what I guess is unique-to-founders-pack armor. And, in the case of the $150 pack, a cape that can only be gained from the founders pack.

Between the premium time and cash-shop money, you are getting about 80% of your initial investment back in stuff you would have paid for anyways. The rest go towards those cosmetic armor/capes, the ability to start with a fully leveled glider (which can take a bit of time and money by itself) from the very start, plus the 4-day early access. To me, that's worth it. I don't think many people get the Founder's Packs for the Alpha/beta access alone.
    I had missed the part that head start was separate from the beta(which is why i said it was worth even less), so yes having a head start that won't get wiped is certainly a huge advantage in archage.

As for the items and Cs currency these are obviously of subjective worth.

Again I'm not telling people how to spend their money, just saying that I find their spending odd. At least when it's as big of a sum as 150USD.

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 20

I don't know, I've been in quite a lot of betas over the years but I don't see many if not it's rare that open beta wipe's. Perhaps it was a time before I started doing beta's. I always thought Open Beta is for the final stress test with limited content and the finishing touch to find any remaining errors they might of left out. Though these days many treat any sort of beta they can access easily as a complete product so it's slowly losing its meaning.

This is what I thought the meaning of the phase's of betas is; Alpha - Closer to raw product of the game testing the basic mechanic's, bugs, and seek flaws of the game. Closed Beta - Closer to finish product, expected to mainly find bugs, exploits, things that might of been left out, and partially stress test the servers as it enter final phase of close beta. Open Beta - Pretty much finish product, mainly used for stress testing the servers and pick up any flaws that might cause problems for official launch. I'm probably wrong though.