What do you think about Virtual CrowdFunding and Stocks?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Default What do you think about Virtual CrowdFunding and Stocks?

It is something that is new to me at least within the last couple of years.

The idea is that a percentage of areas in a game are sold off to the players in the form of 'deeds' or stocks.
    Then a portion of the income those areas bring into the game is returned to the deed holders as a weekly dividend.

The game I play has released a couple of these over the last few years and raised a considerable amount of 'crowd sourced' funding this way as well as producing an additional economy within their game with the deeds that players can sell to each other or horde for the weekly dividends.

Now they have taken the next evolutionary step in 'virtual crowd sourcing' and are planning to sell deeds to a new f2p android game that is completely separate from the game the deeds are being sold in.

So what do you guys think?
    If your favorite studio had a kickstarter for a new game would you donate?
    If that same studio did the crowd sourcing internally would you be more or less likely to donate?
    What do you think of the idea of a virtual stock market where the value of 'stocks' goes up and down depending on activity not only in the same game but in other games as well?

EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Luigiís Pizza Reputation: 10

Seems like a vague and fishy idea. Game studios seem to be more creative in ways of convincing to people to give them money than actually making games.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Quote Originally Posted by PoorGamer View Post
    Seems like a vague and fishy idea. Game studios seem to be more creative in ways of convincing to people to give them money than actually making games.
    True.

Would I donate money to building a pyramid scheme?
    Not very likely.

Stay frosty.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Depends on the company. I would gladly support Level 5 for a Dark Cloud 3. Wouldnt give capcom a dime though. I'd toss a 100$ at tinyspeck to bring back glitch *shrug*.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366): Smash Bros 3DS, Fantasy Life.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 323

i think yr kinda nuts xd

but that's ok
    I hate TALKING. to PEOPLE. about THINGS.

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    i think yr kinda nuts xd

but that's ok
    lol... well thats a different part of the game.
    That is playing (mining)
    This is the 'virtual stock market' there are different strategies, risks, and rewards between those different aspects of the 'game'.

Not trying to push the game in this thread though, just curious of what people thought of the idea behind buying/selling virtual stocks as a means of crowd funding.

Edit:
    Some numbers for example:
    60,000 CLDs sold for $100 each raising $6million and have since returned over 18% interest to the holders annually.
    200,000 AUDs sold for $5 each raising $1million and have since returned over 7.5% interest annually.

There are 200,00 of the new deeds selling for $10 each raising $2million and it is unknown the profit margin since it is yet released and will be an external mobile game.
    Last edited by Narfi Hungry Willem; 07-12-2014 at 02:56 AM.

Entropia Wiki

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

I think studios who can afford to produce a game and still do crowd funding can suck it.

I really like the real world economy concept, I just think Entropia is dated and that the control systems/combat are boring.
    I also think that too much money is sunk on NPC created essentials, such as mining probes, and taxes.
    As is, the average player is lucky to break even after sells are complete.

I would rather see the developers make money by offering cool (untradable) cash sinks.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 12

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I think studios who can afford to produce a game and still do crowd funding can suck it.

I really like the real world economy concept, I just think Entropia is dated and that the control systems/combat are boring.
    I also think that too much money is sunk on NPC created essentials, such as mining probes, and taxes.
    As is, the average player is lucky to break even after sells are complete.

I would rather see the developers make money by offering cool (untradable) cash sinks.
    If you think the average player "should" be able to break even, then you have an interesting vision on doing business. Unless a company has NO costs whatsoever, the average player MUST spend more than he wins. Else, bankruptcy is inevitable.

Personally, I have bought US$ 1300 worth of deeds in Entropia Universe when they were issued. I did so, primarily for other reasons than income. I wanted to support development, and get some perks which were going to be involved. And yes, I confess.... I was somewhat drunk at that particular time. But I was sober enough to understand a thing or two about the projected numbers.

I made my own calculations and decisions on where it would, for me, be classified as a good investment. And while returns have been less than the projections (for obvious reasons, which were utterly discussed in the time between the first announcement and the actual issuance), returns have always been above my personally defined minimum. And I have been able to keep playing the game the way I like because of it. Actually, I could do even more than I could before.

There have been other such issuances. I spent about 1 month of my deed income on another deed. Their return is somewhat dissappointing, but worst-case (total loss), all it has hurt me is by increasing my earnbacktime by one month.

I also do crowdfunding elswhere. There, I must invest at least $125 in a plan, and get like 8%. In this, the investment is less, and the possible revenu is higher (as is, indeed, the risk). But hey, it's all part of the adventure.

Of course, not unimportant: I consider every single dollar I pay to a game company to be an expenditure. So I don't count on it to come back to me. Anything that DOES come back is welcome, but if this all fails, I won't be hurting very much. Not as much as I would RL.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

True, the developer needs to make money.
    However, the way it's set up, you are basically paying to work.

If playing a game = working, you may as well get a job. I got a job already and enjoy playing games when not working.

However thats not really the topic here, this thread is about crowd funding and the idea of 'virtual stocks' based on in game activity level as well as activity levels in other games.

Entropia Wiki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast