Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crowdfunding to Develop an HIV/AIDs Vaccine

Banned Reputation: 302

Default Crowdfunding to Develop an HIV/AIDs Vaccine

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 48

no. because we need a little bit of natural selection in this over populated planet

Quote Originally Posted by Noatud View Post
    no. because we need a little bit of natural selection in this over populated planet
    Such a predictable response. The world isn't overpopulated.

Donate!

$$$

pls don't tell me what to do with my money thanks

Cloud13's Clown Reputation: 328

i kind of owe the government of ontario like 10,000+ dollars in student loans, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    pls don't tell me what to do with my money thanks
    These types of responses are so old and immature.

I know you want to be a rebellious teenager who has a stick up his butt and doesn't want to conform to morality, but how about stopping for a moment and realizing the large-scale impact the information I posted is presenting? Stop associating your dislike for me with what I posted. This "I must reply completely the opposite to show my dislike for OP, even though the information deserves much more respect than I'm giving it" is common amongst adolescents, and apparently manchildren on the internet.

You don't have to donate if you don't want to, but you also don't have to post that you aren't going to for the sake of being a little bltch.

Ok, bye. OuO

$$$

ok i'm sorry

Quote Originally Posted by postrook View Post
    i kind of owe the government of ontario like 10,000+ dollars in student loans, sorry.
    You can buy other leisure items, but can't spare just $10 for vaccines to help billions of people?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    ok i'm sorry
    Apology accepted.

idunno, what does 10 dollars buy, like 1/10000th of a single vaccination

edit: i'll think about it.
    Last edited by postrook; 07-13-2014 at 02:52 AM.

idunno, what does 10 dollars buy, like 1/10000th of a single vaccination
    As much as this is cliche, if everyone donated a small amount, it adds up quickly. Ten dollars from 100,000 people would be $1 mil. One by one, people can make a massive difference.

fwiw i don't have any problem with you evangelising stuff like this, but i think part of the problem people apparently have with you is you turn up and yell at people and then go away and then come back to yell about something else, and you don't really take part in the day to day around here, such as it is. i mean, there are definitely some sexist jerks on here, but i think, among the regulars, they're in the minority.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

I am not an expert but I don't think $1,000,000 is a lot when it comes to a vaccine in the "research" stage.
    If the rich f*cktards that have their hands deep into corporate medicine would stop blocking research we would have a cure for a lot of things.

I am reminded of the mother who had made huge breakthroughs in an attempt cure her child's autism but got shut down by the FDA.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 07-13-2014 at 06:32 AM.

fwiw i don't have any problem with you evangelising stuff like this, but i think part of the problem people apparently have with you is you turn up and yell at people and then go away and then come back to yell about something else, and you don't really take part in the day to day around here, such as it is. i mean, there are definitely some sexist jerks on here, but i think, among the regulars, they're in the minority.
    I'm okay with that.

The significance of the information I posted should not be affected by my attendance or personality.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerM View Post
    I am not an expert but I don't think $1,000,000 is a lot when it comes to a vaccine in the "research" stage.
    If the rich f*cktards that have their hands deep into corporate medicine would stop blocking research we would have a cure for a lot of things.

I am reminded of the mother who had made huge breakthroughs in an attempt cure her child's down syndrome but got shut down by the FDA.
    I was just giving an example. You can donate more, and more than 100,000 people can donate.

Regardless, one person can make a difference. one million dollars can make a difference

Roxane's Roadkill Reputation: 316

I am reminded of the mother who had made huge breakthroughs in an attempt cure her child's down syndrome but got shut down by the FDA.
    Wait, what? Down syndrome is the result of having an extra chromosome 21, that's something that runs its course before someone is even born. She might be able to alleviate some symptoms (like the gastrointestinal issues or attempting to improve cognitive functions), but you can't 'cure' it.
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 176

No. I believe we could have cured many diseases far sooner than we have for the reason being that sickness makes money. Yes, conspiracy bullshit, I know, but it is something I believe, and I think it could be seen as common sense. Why cure Cancer when you can "treat" it and make millions?

I won't donate, I need to get MY life in order first, because MY life matters more to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    I love how your name is "Useless", and your avatar says "Canada" in it.
    LOL GET IT?

Quote Originally Posted by Pok View Post
    Wait, what? Down syndrome is the result of having an extra chromosome 21, that's something that runs its course before someone is even born. She might be able to alleviate some symptoms (like the gastrointestinal issues or attempting to improve cognitive functions), but you can't 'cure' it.
    My bad. I meant autism.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83

My bad. I meant autism.
    Autism is caused by a multitude of things such as hereditary or abnormal brain development. It's mainly due to neurological dysfunction in the brain which makes it incurable.
    Last edited by M1nGs3N4yuk1; 07-13-2014 at 06:41 AM.

Autism is neurodevelopmental disorder. Meaning basically it effects the development and growth of the brain and/or nervous system.
    While it is believed some forms of Autism can be due to genetics it also occurs in those with no known genetic issues.
    Shuck it, Trebek.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 83

So you're repeating what I'm saying basically.

Nevertheless, neurodevelopmental disorder occurs during early childhood when the brain develops rapidly. All neurodevelopmental disorders are physical illnesses. Due to the complex nature of the brain and how central nerve cells regenerate extremely little to nonexistent, neurolodevelopmental disorders are permanent. So unless someone can find a way to regenerate cells, a cure for neurolodevelopmental disorder is highly unlikely. That's only going to happen when we have more knowledge on stem cells.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked315 View Post
    No. I believe we could have cured many diseases far sooner than we have for the reason being that sickness makes money. Yes, conspiracy bullshit, I know, but it is something I believe, and I think it could be seen as common sense. Why cure Cancer when you can "treat" it and make millions?

I won't donate, I need to get MY life in order first, because MY life matters more to me.
    Everyone can sacrifice an apple a day to make $10 to donate, unless you literally live on the streets.

I am not forcing anyone to donate, but don't even bother posting your sad inexcusable excuses. You can afford $10 to donate. You just don't want to.
    Last edited by TuxedoSam; 07-13-2014 at 08:50 AM.

Well, I know what I have seen and read. It could be a hoax. I don't have the expertise to argue about it. I doubt you do either.

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Such a predictable response. The world isn't overpopulated.
    Except that it is, by any reasonable standard. Whomever told you it isn't haven't been paying attention to the strain the human population is causing to this planet, and to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Everyone can sacrifice an apple a day to make $10 to donate, unless you literally live on the streets.

I am not forcing anyone to donate, but don't even bother posting your sad inexcusable excuses. You can afford $10 to donate. You just don't want to.
    What people can and cannot sacrifice is a subjective standard, which every individual decides for themselves. You do not set that standard for other people, which is why you are not at liberty to tell other what they can or cannot afford.

It's a relational concept - without saying from what the cost should be deducted, you cannot say whether a person can afford something or not.
    Do I have 10 dollars? Yes. Do I have 10 dollars that aren't dedicated to things I either need to stay alive, or need to feel psychological fulfilled as a human being? No.
    I.E can I afford to give away 10 dollars? No, I really can't.

What you fail to get is that there is absolutely nothing wrong about not wanting to donate to something, and not wanting to donate to something because you have other things you either need to, or want to buy, and that such a scenario is interchangeable with the term "cannot afford".
    By saying the opposite, and that anything we can afford given that we re-prioritize our money-spending, is something we can afford, is ****ing inane, because by that logic absolutely everyone can afford anything given that they have the needed resource at this given moment.
    By that logic, it's reasonable to ask a person to donate his heart to a person who needs it because guess what, you have a heart, you can afford it.

If you're like me however, and you define "afford" to mean, any resource you can abandon without detriment to physical or psychological well-being, then no, having excess money at a given moment in time, does not necessarily mean you can afford to give it away. Absolutely ****ing no.

Now take your bullshit reasoning somewhere else.

PS. I would have you know that I actually would donate to this, if I had more excess money. At this moment I don't, because I'm in-between jobs, have a family I have to take care of, and a student loan. To me, that is more important than 10 dollars to HIV research.
    The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640

I'd rather donate to wikipedia.

Progress based on a donation model is usually a wild goose chase.
    Of course no one believes that something works that hasn't been showed to work. Being innovative is always swimming against the stream.
    On the other hand they don't have any "new" ideas. So it's not going to work. Money for a cause that's already lost.

You can spend 10$ on hunger relieve and it will get value every time for the money. I wonder how often humanity can afford spending 10$ for every person on a pipe dream.
    Remember, that there is no limit to the possible number of pipe dreams.
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-13-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Stay frosty.

Retired Staff Reputation: 714

With the couple of 'breakthroughs' in both diabetes and autism, I'd rather spend my money there first. :x

Game Journalist Reputation: 484

I couldn't figure out how to donate, so I gave up.

Though I admit I probably wouldn't donate even if I could figure out where to do so. There are other problems I'm more interested in donating towards right now.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild