UemeU Alpha Hands-on Demo with Omnigon Games

General Manager Reputation: 353

Default UemeU Alpha Hands-on Demo with Omnigon Games

http://www.onrpg.com/articles/editor...omnigon-games/

Tyler experiences an upcoming ambitious third person sandbox MMO that's putting the true power of development in the hands of the player.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

It's a sign you're a bad person if somebody else acted like you, you would hate them. - Swagger Pope

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

I haven't read the article yet, so not sure if this exactly applies. The descriptions/name just made me think of this.

Sometimes I get depressed thinking about how unreliable indie developers are. Half the time, they will take your money without delivering the product anywhere near the timeframe you were promised/told (Greed Monger, for example). Then the other half of the time, they take your money and deliver an buggy, alpha-state game with almost none of the promised features (Mortal Online for example).

After dealing with games like Darkfall, Greed Monger, Mortal Online, etc... I feel like I can't trust someone unless they have professional and established developers along with actual investors backing them. But I suppose that's the way I should have felt from the beginning.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    I haven't read the article yet, so not sure if this exactly applies. The descriptions/name just made me think of this.

Sometimes I get depressed thinking about how unreliable indie developers are. Half the time, they will take your money without delivering the product anywhere near the timeframe you were promised/told (Greed Monger, for example). Then the other half of the time, they take your money and deliver an buggy, alpha-state game with almost none of the promised features (Mortal Online for example).

After dealing with games like Darkfall, Greed Monger, Mortal Online, etc... I feel like I can't trust someone unless they have professional and established developers along with actual investors backing them. But I suppose that's the way I should have felt from the beginning.

Hi There ApocaRUFF,

We at Omnigon Games (and myself personally) completely understand where you are coming from when you talk about product time frame and development windows as well as negging on promised content along with some devs flat out lying to their early access customers / players. I think we have all been burnt far too many times of late.

Myself and the team were on tour around the world (this article being one of the ones resulting from our time in San Francisco) and we were regularly asked... "Are you in Beta, are you in Alpha?" Generally my response goes as such. Indeed I had this exact conversation with Tyler.

"Alpha and Beta really don't mean anything any more thanks to overzealous press and greedy Alpha developers who don't really understand what it takes to complete a game let alone support a large player base and maintain a studio."

"Omnigon Games are, due to our investment and independent partnership with Jagex Game Studios, really able do things properly with the way we release our game in early access and the way we develop our titles. We really feel that too many indie supporters have been burnt already and the recent surge and success of Indies will become very short-lived if that continues. In all honestly (even though I shouldn't say it) I feel that a very large proportion of successful indie devs should be rather embarrassed of their financial success without delivering. We are trying to set an example by not being over zealous with how we release things and be extremely open and honest about the state of our game. Even now we are sitting in late Alpha with a game which is substantially more stable and wholly more complete than the majority of Beta's found on Steam."

"UemeU also isn't really your standard Indie title. It's far more ambitious and doesn't rely on a release and drop the title monetary model. UemeU is being made to be played over several years while undergoing constant development, a sort of platform if you will. Talking about Alpha and Beta is pretty naive and not really applicable... If I were to liken it to something... you could compare us going in to beta like Google taking GMail into Beta... and then just leaving it there... for absolutely yonks."

Anyway - paraphrased comments aside from various interviews I know all I can say is, we do have a giant studio supporting us, we've shown character and I'm sure a lot of the upcoming press we've spoken to will cover our opinions on exactly this issue and.... trust us (Yeah I know right? ).

I do encourage you to check our change log for each version (which tend to release every two weeks) and see just how fast we develop and fix bugs in the game as well as implement community requests. It's honestly pretty incredible how fast our team is... and we hope we can at least tend to the fingers of a few burnt early indie supporter pioneers all the while setting a standard for how alpha indie titles should be developed with commitment and dedication the their plans and their supporters (players).

Here's a link to some of our change logs over the last few months so you can see our progress:

http://jsbin.com/yamapute/1/edit?output

We hope to have yours and many other trusting alpha funders support as we go and show people how it should be done!
    Last edited by Mentioum; 07-17-2014 at 10:48 PM.

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Quote Originally Posted by Mentioum View Post
    -snip-
    Thanks for the reply. It was a nice read and is encouraging to see that you've taken the time to reply to concerns.

Like I said, I'm not sure if anything I said applies to you guys - the article just made me think, which I guess is a good thing.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing more about your progress as time goes on.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It was a nice read and is encouraging to see that you've taken the time to reply to concerns.

Like I said, I'm not sure if anything I said applies to you guys - the article just made me think, which I guess is a good thing.

Anyways, I look forward to hearing more about your progress as time goes on.

You are very welcome. The best we can do is just try to qualm peoples nerves about the issue and prove though our actions that we are more responsible with player contribution and support than others.

Hope to see you around

Ciao