Olympic Dream: I need your help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 24

Default Olympic Dream: I need your help

Not sure if you'll remember me as being athlete and always posting my race and videos and picture. Im in a desperate situation.

A little background story about me as a persona and athlete.

I have been an athlete all my life. I started playing soccer at the age of five and it was my passion. I played in the Worldís game up until my senior year of High School. I quickly turned to Track and Field as an outlet after being let go from the varsity soccer squad during my senior year. I figured I would be decent on the track because I was so fast on the pitch. After only one year of experimenting with the sport I was able to achieve All-American accolades, placed sixth at the National Scholastic Indoor Championships, along with taking third at New York State Championships and receiving multiple varsity letters.

I received an athletic scholarship in Track and Field to The College of Saint Rose. I was able to accomplish a multitude of personal goals as well as break several school records. Saint Rose was a wonderful experience, but during the end of my sophomore year I felt that I had reached a plateau. The college lacked the training facilities I needed in order to improve my skill set/level. I did most of my training on my own, which has taught me a lot in preserving with the tools I have access to, but it is because of this I decided to take a year away from track and field to pursue other interests. When taking off the season I was able to see that Saint Rose no longer satisfied my needs and I decided to transfer to University at Albany.

University at Albany seemed like the right fit for me both athletically and academically. With having previous teammates and comrades at the university the transition was smooth. Coming in I wasnít sure what to expect. Every single athlete I trained with or who was part of the team helped me develop as an athlete in a positive light. To be part of an accomplished program and to be surrounded by driven athletes was a good feeling and experience.
    Most athletes have had experiences, negative and positive throughout their formative years. These athletes persevered, and triumphed by taking the negative experiences and turning them into positive results. This is true for me as well. Like those other athletes, Iíve had trouble with injuries and inconsistencies during my six years of competing in athletics. Everything from pulled hamstrings to bone spurs and a hip pointer. Iíve had to overcome a lot physically to get to the point where Iím at today. Aside from the injuries, much of the inconsistencies when racing are rooted from a lot of verbal and physiological abuse I endured before even stepping on a track.

Leadership is something I value, and it is essential in being successful. Unfortunately I have not always had positive leadership in my life. Soccer and the classroom can be a challenging place as well as unforgiving and sometimes even confusing. For example, my soccer coaches would pull me from the field for one simple non-costly mistake after 5 minutes of playing; I would ask my coach for advice on what went wrong, and his response to me would be, ďI donít know, once you figure it out come back to me, until then sit the benchĒ. Another example is when the coach yelled during the middle of play, ďWhat the hell are you doing out their Karam, do you have rocks for brains?Ē The negativity even transferred to the track when my first college coach told me that I would never be that type of caliber runner, that Iím not good enough. This type of ďleadershipĒ is negative and poor in instruction. In Academics I have also had to overcome challenges and naysayers. In primary school one of my instructors told my parents it was okay if I didnít go to college, I could just have a high school diploma. The naysayers didnít leave me alone, even at the end of my academic career. When transferring into the University at Albany I was told by admission that they didn't feel like UAlbany was the right fit for me. I know everyone has their story, that everyone has problems, but I feel Iíve had to deal with a substantial amount issues and I continue to improve myself by reaching goals, and not letting the naysayers get the best of me. I do have a learning disability (Auditory Processing), mild scoliosis, asthma (which is pretty much under control), a misaligned hip, and kidney disease (this is too under control). And having started late in Track & Field, Iíve had to play catch up both in physical terms and tactical terms. Iíve struggled, progressed, and found alternatives to better my athletics and running.

What helped me come to this point was being broken down both mentally and physically at the same time. If itís one thing God gave me itís that I'm able to make a believer out of all the doubters Iíve had throughout my life. I also feel that I'm able to step on that track and compete with anyone.

The most important aspect Iíve come to realize is that you should Ė always want to strive for success for those that you represent; your team, your family, your country and just as importantly yourself. When you stop worrying about the negatives of others and put yourself first and compete well, then inevitably your success will affect those around you in a positive way. Make the proper sacrifices, don't allow anything to get into your head and for the love of God enjoy what you do first and foremost!
    Heres the scoop! Since being back from Florida I have a time frame to raise $20,000 between now and end of September.

I'll take any help, advice, donation - I tried kick starter but there was category for this type of situation so i was rejected.

Re Sponsorship Opportunity for a Future Olympian

Dear Relatives /Friends /Associates:
    My name is Charles Karam and I am pursuing a lifelong goal of making it to the Olympics and Iím seeking donations to help me achieve this goal.
    I am a recent graduate from the State University of New York at Albany where, as a student/athlete, I competed in Track and Field as a short distance sprinter; the 400 meter race is my specialty.
    Recently, this summer, I had the opportunity to train at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida under the guidance of Coach Loren Seagrave. Coach Seagrave is a world renowned Speed and Conditioning Coach who successfully coached six Olympians from five different countries to include Gold Medalist Pauline Harris. He also served as Olympic Head Coach for Liberia. World class athletes such as NFL pupils include Eddie George, Mo Lewis, Dorsey Levens, Tyrone Poole, Marco Coleman, Willie Clay, Terrell Davis, Tony Romo, and Hershel Walker.
    Coach Seagrave has established a world class reputation in track and field as one of the best sprint and hurdles coach.
    Although I have not posted any notable achievements on the world stage in Track and Field, the coaching staff, for the first time in the history of the IMG Academy is allowing a person not at the pro level to join the select group of Professional and Olympic athletes for training based on my recent training performance and potential at IMG.
    This summer, 2014, an opportunity has been given to me by the coaching staff at the IMG Academy to train starting this coming October, and spend the next year training with World class Athletes. These training opportunities will allow me to work out and train with the following Professionals and Olympians, LaShawn Merrit (USA), Demetrius Pinder (Bahamas), Tianna Bartelotta (USA), Anaso Jobowanda (Republic of South Africa) and Jack Green (Great Britain).
    In order to achieve my goals of being a professional athlete and Olympian, I am asking for your support, through monetary donations, to help me offset the cost of living and training at the IMG Academy. The money needed will be for rent, food, transportation and the cost of the training itself. My goal is $20,000.00. I will need to raise this amount between now and September 29, 2014. Any amount that you are able to donate will be highly appreciated!
    I promise you only this, that I will give 100% effort each and every day no matter the obstacles to make each of you proud by competing at the highest level possible.
    Meanwhile, In return for your sponsorship I would of course be honored to advertise (if you are a business) the name of your business on my official website. If you are an individual, with your permission, I will list you on my website as well. I do hope that this is something you might be willing to consider. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you further about this.

Thank you for giving this your consideration.
    Best Regards
    Charles J. Karam
    Future Olympian
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please send your check to:
    Charles J. Karam
    122 Old Coach Rd.
    Clifton Park, NY 12065

-OR-

Donate via PayPal : SenseCJ@live.com

My Email: ckaram@albany.edu
    My Personal Website: https://charleskaram.squarespace.com/

"I usually assume my teammates are retarded."

http://justified-gaming.enjin.com/

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

Just posting to wish you good luck. I hope you can get it done. Godspeed.
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-20-2014 at 10:05 PM.

Stay frosty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Just posting to wish you good luck. I hope you can get it done. Godspeed.
    Thank you!! (Thank you for the relationship advise regrding my Ex from about a year ago btw, we are friends now and I've found somebody else ) .. I've already begun to receive donation from friends and family and even from some of my online friends Ive met through gaming. We'll see how these next 2 months plays out! Ive been working non stop on graphic work and commissions; even collecting recyclables from neighbors!

Ill try to keep you guys up-to-date on how everything plays out.

Training alone is going to cost 19,100 for the year. Thankfully theyre allowing me to do 3month payments of $4550. Once I get sponsor(s) I wont have to worry about anymore, since it'll be my first year running professionally I don't have any at the moment.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 585

I don't want to but in with acting as if I know stuff, because I don't really, but:
    You could contact every shop and workplace in your hometown (or city-quarter) for some little sponsoring help. Tell them it boosts their workforce moral. It also ought to impress customers, if they simply put up a poster somewhere about your effort and that they support you. I am convinced that it would give you a chance of raising some money. Everyone likes rooting for the home-team.
    Last edited by Ronin; 07-21-2014 at 12:04 AM.

Stay frosty.

Oh wow, that's actually a fantastic idea! Would be better if I was going to represent USA at worlds and Olympics rather than Lebanon, oh well :P .. I have till the end of September to try and raise these funds! Has been stressful since ive been back in NY but I have a lot of people helping.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 62

What are your times? Wouldn't want to waste my time/money on someone running 50's and stuck. Where is your plateau?

I'd feel wasted helping someone who's plateauing where I PRed dicking around, especially while they are getting collegiate help and shit.
    Last edited by Rebuzzal; 07-21-2014 at 05:49 PM.
    ďThe difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Rebuzzal View Post
    What are your times? Wouldn't want to waste my time/money on someone running 50's and stuck. Where is your plateau?

I'd feel wasted helping someone who's plateauing where I PRed dicking around, especially while they are getting collegiate help and shit.
    400 Meter : 46.6
    200 Meter : 21.1w

Coach Loren Seagrave is basically like a God in the track and field world; both him and Coach Joice M were impressed from what they saw when I was training their throughout June. They feel I have the potential to run 44.high - 45.low.

If you read my bio I posted youll see Ive only been running a short amount of time. I started my last year of High School and by the time I was 19 I dropped a 47.38

The coaching staff at IMG Academy said they wouldn't be telling me to come back and waste my money if they didnt see I wasn't capable.

This is the first time in the Academy's history that they're allowing someone who isn't at the professional level yet to train with arguably one of th best Professional Sprint groups in the world.

Who Ill be joining : LaShawn Merritt Demetrius Pinder Jack Green Anaso Jobodwana

Marineking's Minion Reputation: 211

Im sorry i cant help you with the funds. But i hope you can come up with the money and be able to go to the school.

I dont watch sports but if you make it ill root for you

Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    Im sorry i cant help you with the funds. But i hope you can come up with the money and be able to go to the school.

I dont watch sports but if you make it ill root for you
    No problem! Thank you though .. I actually graduated from college last year. It's for paying the coaching staff and facilities.

Going to give gofunme a shot!

Going to local businesss as been a help as well, Tthanks Ronin

http://www.gofundme.com/bzr1co

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast