Hearthstone - Is it worth getting into?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Hearthstone - Is it worth getting into?

So, I'm looking for a TCG to get into while I'm waiting for Hex to get more features. I played Hearthstone briefly in the closed beta, and the game was alright.

My real question is, is it possible to get into the game without spending a crapton of money (with crapton being anything over $10 ;D ), and still being able to be competitive in PVP matches?

I've been thinking about getting into MTG again, but I haven't played since my Freshman year of High School in 2006, and have forgotten most of the little that I learned about it. Also, if I did get into it, I'd have to go virtual as I don't want to spend 40-50 minutes driving to the nearest gameshop everytime I want to play. Plus, it would be expensive. I've heard that I would need to spend at least $30 or so to get a decent deck in the 2015 version of vMTG, but the 2014 version for $10 is still decent so that might be an option.

Or I could try another virtual TCG. What I'm looking for is minimal money investment and time investment to get a decent deck, a large playerbase so I never have to get bored playing the same people over and over, and feature complete (IE can't be in the "development" stage anymore).
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 12

IF you are going to get into Hearthstone tomorrow is a good time to start since the expansion comes out and the first stage is free to everyone, you have to pay for the other zones though (6 zones in total I think).

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 23

There are a couple competitive decks people have come up with that are fairly easy to make without spending money on packs.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

It's an ok game but lacks the communication and banter that make the real games fun.
    So, it's basically throwing RNG back and forth with an opponent who could just as easily be AI.

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 48

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    So, I'm looking for a TCG to get into while I'm waiting for Hex to get more features. I played Hearthstone briefly in the closed beta, and the game was alright.

My real question is, is it possible to get into the game without spending a crapton of money (with crapton being anything over $10 ;D ), and still being able to be competitive in PVP matches?

I've been thinking about getting into MTG again, but I haven't played since my Freshman year of High School in 2006, and have forgotten most of the little that I learned about it. Also, if I did get into it, I'd have to go virtual as I don't want to spend 40-50 minutes driving to the nearest gameshop everytime I want to play. Plus, it would be expensive. I've heard that I would need to spend at least $30 or so to get a decent deck in the 2015 version of vMTG, but the 2014 version for $10 is still decent so that might be an option.

Or I could try another virtual TCG. What I'm looking for is minimal money investment and time investment to get a decent deck, a large playerbase so I never have to get bored playing the same people over and over, and feature complete (IE can't be in the "development" stage anymore).
    Yes and no.
    I have spent no money on it and stayed competitive but it will take a while....
    Zoo, one of the best decks its pretty cheap, (crafting dust wise) There is daily quests for gold and there is also Hidden quests that rewards you with Gold, Dust and card packs. Buying cards just speeds everything up. This goes for ranked

Arena is another game mode and a lot more fun. If you get good at it you will never have spend money on heartstone.

quest/hidden quests guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest
    Arena guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Arena
    They explain it better .

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 293

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Yes and no.
    I have spent no money on it and stayed competitive but it will take a while....
    Zoo, one of the best decks its pretty cheap, (crafting dust wise) There is daily quests for gold and there is also Hidden quests that rewards you with Gold, Dust and card packs. Buying cards just speeds everything up. This goes for ranked

Arena is another game mode and a lot more fun. If you get good at it you will never have spend money on heartstone.

quest/hidden quests guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest
    Arena guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Arena
    They explain it better .
    once you get near legendary ranks or into legendary ranks it all becomes hard without buying decks...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Eriond's Egotist Reputation: 48

Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    once you get near legendary ranks or into legendary ranks it all becomes hard without buying decks...
    I agree. That's why I mostly stick to arena.
    Staying competitive is very double without spending money it will just take a bit of time.
    Once you do reach near legendary ranks most people play the same decks so you at least know what to expect.

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 35

There are tons of decks that are competative without legendary cards. Since there are 9 classes. You might wanne tell us what class you're most interested in. Since priest, paladin and hunter are arguably not that competative in the current meta at top ranks. Someone already mentioned Zoo, which is warlock. But I would say a good mid-range shaman deck is alot stronger in this meta. And shaman is a incredible cheap deck to make as well. Maybe only 1 epic(doomhammer). But im sure you can do without it. The deck will only carry you so much. The player will make the difference.

Today and tomorrow will be chaos though. Since Naxxramas will come out. Hearthstones first expansion pack with new cards. So expect server issues, lag, dc, etc. And the meta will be shifted alot as people try to improve and create new decks. But if you need help, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with all decks and the current meta.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 07-22-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

What deck would you recommend for a newer player who wants to invest no money into the game?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Power_Gamer_6's Pick Reputation: 35

What deck would you recommend for a newer player who wants to invest no money into the game?
    Basic but strong Shaman
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/budget-shaman-deck/

Or Warlock Zoo
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/legend...-guide-part-1/

Both decks are under 1600 dust cost, which is less then 1 legendary card. The guides should also help you with how to play them. Although, Zoo is alot easier to play correct.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 07-22-2014 at 12:16 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast