Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hearthstone - Is it worth getting into?

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23 View Post
    Thats pretty poor advice.
    I don't think you understand how arena works or why people like "kripp" or "Ek0p" have all cards. It's not because they are godlike at playing arena, but because they spent quite a good chunk of money on the game, packs and/or arena tickets and they've been playing since the first days of closed beta.

Also the fact that they already had most of the cards during closed beta, and people like Kripp already had like 20k dust by then. For instance...arena rewards during beta were much better, and winning in arena was also much easier than it is nowdays.

Right now 4 win rewards are not superior to direct purchase of packs, meaning most of the people who play arena can't achieve 7+ wins ratio. The average win ratio is 3, anything above that means someone had below average scores. Can someone achieve 7+ wins ratio in arena? Probably, but not that doable and certainly you need a lot of luck for it to work that nicely.

Arena is a mode that you'd play if you love the system, otherwise it's not the "ultimate" way of earning cards, and for sure the vast majority that play arena are actually earning cards at a slower pace compared to those who simply purchase packs with gold...and that's a fact. Telling a new player to go straight to playing arena is a really bad advice, as most of the time they'll be wasting their gold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Squall098 View Post
    3 wins is ~even with just buying a card pack
    5 wins is usually a bit better than buying a pack
    7 wins = profit
    3 wins is far from being even with buying a pack. You get 10g per 3 wins in normal/ranked play, and 3 win rewards are 25-35g reward along with another random reward which can be 20-25 dust/gold or a rare/common card. For it to be even with a pack you would have to get the 35g reward along with the 20-25 gold reward.
    Since a pack gives on average about 100+ dust, I consider that dust reward to be inferior to gold, and the rare/common as well unless you don't have said card. Five wins are sightly better than direct purchase, but just very sightly.

In the end, if you want to notice a difference between playing arenas or not you need an average of 6 wins in arena.
    Last edited by Adamaris; 08-03-2014 at 07:56 PM.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 52

I understand perfectly well how Arena works. It is the best way to get gold and cards for free. This isnt even a opinion. Its a fact lol. But keep arguing for all I care.

This is a very good guide for F2P-players: http://hearthstoneplayers.com/effici...stone-account/
    Or add me on EU for advice: PaiMei#2114

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23 View Post
    This isnt even a opinion. Its a fact lol
    Arena has the potential to be the best way to get gold and cards, which is not the same as being the best way to get gold and cards.
    It's like saying playing poker is the best way of earning money because there are players who make a lot of money from it, therefor telling people to do the same to earn money...it doesn't work like that.
    I consider arena the same as poker in terms of false advertising. Luring new players with "big money" expectations, in this case 6+ score in arena when in reality most of the players won't go above 3 wins for the most part. And this is a fact, it's just how the system is. A player only gets higher score because other players have below average scores, so in order for someone to achieve 9 wins there will be 3 players sitting at 0 wins.

Yes, best potential. Obviously. Ofcourse, most people will never get 7 wins average. But some people do. Even after 10k games.(cherrywarrior). The point is if you're a F2P-player. You should invest atleast some time in arena imho. If you're being super lazy, no job, no money, no research, no arena, etc. Yeah, I guess you should buy packs then. But my advice would be to research about arena, and get good at it. Before complaining the game is pay to win. There are many examples of people who got everything for free, some even collected full golden decks doing arena.

I do however agree that a new player should probably not waste his gold on arena. First get good at the game. Then spend your gold on arena. Still, dont discourage people saying arena is not worth it. I just did a 5 and 9 win run. I'm not a arena expert. But I actually gained quite alot of gold. Its very profitable.

Ride em’ Yoshi Reputation: 10

if you want a tcg then you better off finding a game that actually has trading

Last Naxx wing and cards were released today.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 366

Quote Originally Posted by celerond View Post
    if you want a tcg then you better off finding a game that actually has trading
    Show me where exactly it says Hearthstone is TCG?

Just got my first 12 win streak in arena. Eventhough, as you can see I dont play much arena. I got to 11 wins like 3 times, was about time. With 12 wins you get Lightforge Key. Got around 400 gold+gold rare card and 2 booster packs. Total worth 600+ gold. Not bad for 2 hours playing. All there is left to do is getting Legendary rank. Which should be easy for me. But not really motivated playing some popular netdeck. Like 70% on ladder is playing Hunter now...rather have fun with weird decks playing casual.

Last edited by Beatrix23; 08-23-2014 at 05:14 PM.

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 43

Damn I didnt know there were people here that play more then me =p

RIP Xfire

Quote Originally Posted by tihi85 View Post
    Damn I didnt know there were people here that play more then me =p
    Dont know. Already been playing for like 7 months.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 08-23-2014 at 08:38 PM.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 18

Eh I like Hearthstone, but I don't like the new Naxx cards at all. In fact, it has made me pretty much quit the game. A lot of them are gimmicky just like the raids them selves. If it was pre Naxx, id say go for it, but I barely play the game now. That's just my opinion though.

After Naxx arena is a lot more fun, new cards makes it fresh. And I cant say much about ranked play cuz that mode is boring

RIP Xfire

Arena is very simple for me. Thats why I play mostly constructed. Eventhough, I hate the Hunter meta right now. But I'll give you a tip, I've been using this site for Arena: http://www.arenavalue.com/

This site will give you a optimal board control deck. It will not only give you the highest value cards. But also tracks your mana curve. This is something most new players dont understand. You need a deck to flow smoothly to be a succes. Basicly, with this site. Half of the work is done. Now all you need to do is play it to perfection. Getting a 2400+ points value deck. Should always get above 7 wins if played correctly imho. If you get a deck around 2000 points. Anything is possible from 5-12 wins. Its still very RNG based. Sometimes you just meet counter decks that draw perfect. Anything under 5 wins is generally because you make misplays. It can ofcourse happen you have a unplayable bad arena draft. But this is rare.

I just visited a friend who started playing HS, and thought he was doing okay. He even got reasonable arena results from time to time. But when I watched him play. He pretty much misplayed every turn. I helped him with 2 arena drafts and played with him every turn. 1st time he got to 7 wins, the 2nd game 10 wins. He never got to 10 wins before I was helping him. So I guess player skill does exist in a RNG game.

Sometimes the most obvious plays arnt the best plays. Eventhough, they seem the best. It takes a full understanding of everything to make the right decisions. A simple example. Greed is often good. AOE spells like Flamestrike. You can cast it and remove 2 minions. This is value, right? 2 for 1. Smart players will not use it. They will wait with it. Hoping for the opponent to overextend. If you remove 4 minions with it. The game is pretty much over. This is a greedy play. But alot of players in low rank and arena arnt playing around AOE spells very well.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 08-24-2014 at 11:33 AM.

I sometimes have 3 wins or lower with very good decks, cuz of RNG. I get the most shittiest draws and enemy gets some insane draws/cards. Its just that time of the week when I get constant bad arenas
    but then I get to 7+ wins with some crappy decks just cuz I was lucky enough to avoid people that have good decks.
    It balances out eventually that is if u know how to play properly.
    Last edited by tihi85; 08-24-2014 at 11:17 AM.

RIP Xfire

Quote Originally Posted by tihi85 View Post
    I sometimes have 3 wins or lower with very good decks, cuz of RNG.
    You sure about that. In my own experience. I never got under 3 wins. Blaming RNG when making mistakes is very very common in HS. Even popular streamers sometimes blame RNG. When they´ve made little mistakes that add up. Analyzing every turn after the game, if you can record it, would be the fastest way to learn. Devs already announced there will be a spectator mode in HS. When thats out. It will be very easy to learn from misplays.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 08-24-2014 at 11:56 AM.

I usually know when I made mistakes, but who knows. Also sometimes I just have bad early start so I couldnt even play badly if I wanted to.And that was with a deck that had 70% of 1-3 mana cards in the deck, which should be almost impossible to get a bad early start =p
    When stuff like that starts to happened I just take a break from game for a day or 2.

RIP Xfire

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Now I would say the game worth a try, especially if you dont mind grinding.

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 15

the game sucks balls ever since they released the expansion cards. 100% pay to win now.

Quote Originally Posted by periago View Post
    the game sucks balls ever since they released the expansion cards. 100% pay to win now.
    Rofl, meanwhile almost everyone unlocked Naxx wings for free with gold. You can actually get 700 gold in a week if you play alot. But most people saved up gold ever since they announced Naxx.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 08-27-2014 at 01:08 PM.