Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hearthstone - Is it worth getting into?

Game Journalist Reputation: 490

Default Hearthstone - Is it worth getting into?

So, I'm looking for a TCG to get into while I'm waiting for Hex to get more features. I played Hearthstone briefly in the closed beta, and the game was alright.

My real question is, is it possible to get into the game without spending a crapton of money (with crapton being anything over $10 ;D ), and still being able to be competitive in PVP matches?

I've been thinking about getting into MTG again, but I haven't played since my Freshman year of High School in 2006, and have forgotten most of the little that I learned about it. Also, if I did get into it, I'd have to go virtual as I don't want to spend 40-50 minutes driving to the nearest gameshop everytime I want to play. Plus, it would be expensive. I've heard that I would need to spend at least $30 or so to get a decent deck in the 2015 version of vMTG, but the 2014 version for $10 is still decent so that might be an option.

Or I could try another virtual TCG. What I'm looking for is minimal money investment and time investment to get a decent deck, a large playerbase so I never have to get bored playing the same people over and over, and feature complete (IE can't be in the "development" stage anymore).
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 12

IF you are going to get into Hearthstone tomorrow is a good time to start since the expansion comes out and the first stage is free to everyone, you have to pay for the other zones though (6 zones in total I think).

Payne, Max Payne Reputation: 23

There are a couple competitive decks people have come up with that are fairly easy to make without spending money on packs.

HopeDagger's Henchman Reputation: 204

It's an ok game but lacks the communication and banter that make the real games fun.
    So, it's basically throwing RNG back and forth with an opponent who could just as easily be AI.

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 64

Quote Originally Posted by ApocaRUFF View Post
    So, I'm looking for a TCG to get into while I'm waiting for Hex to get more features. I played Hearthstone briefly in the closed beta, and the game was alright.

My real question is, is it possible to get into the game without spending a crapton of money (with crapton being anything over $10 ;D ), and still being able to be competitive in PVP matches?

I've been thinking about getting into MTG again, but I haven't played since my Freshman year of High School in 2006, and have forgotten most of the little that I learned about it. Also, if I did get into it, I'd have to go virtual as I don't want to spend 40-50 minutes driving to the nearest gameshop everytime I want to play. Plus, it would be expensive. I've heard that I would need to spend at least $30 or so to get a decent deck in the 2015 version of vMTG, but the 2014 version for $10 is still decent so that might be an option.

Or I could try another virtual TCG. What I'm looking for is minimal money investment and time investment to get a decent deck, a large playerbase so I never have to get bored playing the same people over and over, and feature complete (IE can't be in the "development" stage anymore).
    Yes and no.
    I have spent no money on it and stayed competitive but it will take a while....
    Zoo, one of the best decks its pretty cheap, (crafting dust wise) There is daily quests for gold and there is also Hidden quests that rewards you with Gold, Dust and card packs. Buying cards just speeds everything up. This goes for ranked

Arena is another game mode and a lot more fun. If you get good at it you will never have spend money on heartstone.

quest/hidden quests guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest
    Arena guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Arena
    They explain it better .

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

Quote Originally Posted by whitey View Post
    Yes and no.
    I have spent no money on it and stayed competitive but it will take a while....
    Zoo, one of the best decks its pretty cheap, (crafting dust wise) There is daily quests for gold and there is also Hidden quests that rewards you with Gold, Dust and card packs. Buying cards just speeds everything up. This goes for ranked

Arena is another game mode and a lot more fun. If you get good at it you will never have spend money on heartstone.

quest/hidden quests guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Quest
    Arena guide
    http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Arena
    They explain it better .
    once you get near legendary ranks or into legendary ranks it all becomes hard without buying decks...
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 64

Quote Originally Posted by poeticas View Post
    once you get near legendary ranks or into legendary ranks it all becomes hard without buying decks...
    I agree. That's why I mostly stick to arena.
    Staying competitive is very double without spending money it will just take a bit of time.
    Once you do reach near legendary ranks most people play the same decks so you at least know what to expect.

Pipster's Punk Reputation: 52

There are tons of decks that are competative without legendary cards. Since there are 9 classes. You might wanne tell us what class you're most interested in. Since priest, paladin and hunter are arguably not that competative in the current meta at top ranks. Someone already mentioned Zoo, which is warlock. But I would say a good mid-range shaman deck is alot stronger in this meta. And shaman is a incredible cheap deck to make as well. Maybe only 1 epic(doomhammer). But im sure you can do without it. The deck will only carry you so much. The player will make the difference.

Today and tomorrow will be chaos though. Since Naxxramas will come out. Hearthstones first expansion pack with new cards. So expect server issues, lag, dc, etc. And the meta will be shifted alot as people try to improve and create new decks. But if you need help, let me know. I'm pretty familiar with all decks and the current meta.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 07-22-2014 at 08:01 AM.

What deck would you recommend for a newer player who wants to invest no money into the game?
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or ******."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[4/12]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

What deck would you recommend for a newer player who wants to invest no money into the game?
    Basic but strong Shaman
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/budget-shaman-deck/

Or Warlock Zoo
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/legend...-guide-part-1/

Both decks are under 1600 dust cost, which is less then 1 legendary card. The guides should also help you with how to play them. Although, Zoo is alot easier to play correct.
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 07-22-2014 at 11:16 AM.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 422

Quote Originally Posted by Beatrix23 View Post
    Basic but strong Shaman
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/budget-shaman-deck/

Or Warlock Zoo
    http://hearthstoneplayers.com/legend...-guide-part-1/

Both decks are under 1600 dust cost, which is less then 1 legendary card. The guides should also help you with how to play them. Although, Zoo is alot easier to play correct.
    mage rush deck... is good to
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

SuperKenshin's Servent Reputation: 53

Game is free and its not really big there is no harm in playing it from time to time.
    I got 5800 gold I never bought a pack in my life, becuz ranked mode is boring and it gets too boring pretty fast.
    But if its ur thing sure go ahead. I been doing arena most of the time, few matches per day.
    Sometimes I dont even play it for few days depending in what mood I am =p
    Sometimes I just wait for quests to spawn and then play few matches.
    I got most of the cards and if I dont I got 10k dust to craft them.
    Sometimes its fun, sometimes frustrating but overall a game worth having on ur hard drive to play it from time to time.

RIP Xfire

Decided I wanted to do a Zoo deck, so I unlocked Warlock. What should I do from here to get my hands on all the cards the deck calls for?
    -Cingal

Decided I wanted to do a Zoo deck, so I unlocked Warlock. What should I do from here to get my hands on all the cards the deck calls for?
    First get it to lv10 to unlock all the basic cards. After that you do your daily quests, and just play to get gold. With the gold you can buy packs or do arena to get more gold. If you're good at it that is.

Heads or Tails Reputation: 10

Like I tell everyone who tries hearthstone. Don't spend a dime on it until you know its a game where you feel you might be playing for a while. Its an investment. So make sure you want to invest before spending. Ill tell you one thing is that you will want to spend money on it. Your mind will always want to try new decks and you will need to spend money to do that ( or play a lot and wait). Like someone said in an earlier post its very quiet. You don't know how much u miss conversation in games till you play this one.

IMO its worth playing. Cheap decks do work but like I said. You will get bored of rush like decks and want to really make an awesome one.

In an MMO, I like the idea of outgearing other players, and stomping the [filtered] out of them
    avo420x

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 176

DevPro is Yugioh online simulator, pretty fun. Has some tournaments and has a ranked match system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Loric View Post
    I love how your name is "Useless", and your avatar says "Canada" in it.
    LOL GET IT?

A Shrubbery Reputation: 41

I'd played HS constantly since the earliest first beta-wave. I'd go as far as to say Hearthstone is the ONLY tcg game where you dont have to spend a single cent and can still compete with the top players easily.

Trump and Reynad for example has proven that several times, creating new characters, not spending a cent, getting legendary rank in a few days of grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynosphere View Post
    that works to lmao. we should all make a guild lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    But then lmao. it will last lmao. about 2 days lmao. just like every other onrpg guild lmao. lmao.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 47

You can pretty much get by without spending any money con HS, tho the progress will be slow. I think the whole collection averages the price of 350usd or so.
    So, in the end it's gonna either take you many months to get an average collection or maybe around 100usd to really get started.

I've been playing pretty much for free since november and I have 11 legendaries and most of the epic/rare cards with around 7k+ dust to craft cards to give you and idea of how long it takes to get cards

Btw, I don't recommend you to play arena at all. It's quite overrated when it comes to earning cards. You'd need an average of 5 wins per arena in order to make it equal or maybe sightly better than direct purchase of packs with gold
    Last edited by Adamaris; 07-30-2014 at 09:28 AM.

You dont play arena so u can efficiently earn gold, its just the only mode that doesnt get boring so fast and in the process u still earn cards, gold and dust.

RIP Xfire

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    You can pretty much get by without spending any money con HS, tho the progress will be slow. I think the whole collection averages the price of 350usd or so.
    So, in the end it's gonna either take you many months to get an average collection or maybe around 100usd to really get started.

I've been playing pretty much for free since november and I have 11 legendaries and most of the epic/rare cards with around 7k+ dust to craft cards to give you and idea of how long it takes to get cards

Btw, I don't recommend you to play arena at all. It's quite overrated when it comes to earning cards. You'd need an average of 5 wins per arena in order to make it equal or maybe sightly better than direct purchase of packs with gold
    3 wins is ~even with just buying a card pack
    5 wins is usually a bit better than buying a pack
    7 wins = profit

Quote Originally Posted by Adamaris View Post
    Thats pretty poor advice. I guess it didnt work out for you. But there are plenty of people, that got most of their cards and gold from arena. Yes, you can go infinite arena if you're very good. Sure, you will also get bad luck,drafts, etc. But you will also get 11-12 wins. Some people are very consistant with getting 7+ wins.

If you been playing hundreds of arena games, you'll end up with huge profit. Good examples are Kripp or even Ek0p. Since they're popular streamers. They've gathered over 50k gold and every legendary card from doing arena runs for many months. 12 wins can give you 400 gold+2x packs+dust+legendary golden card. Not very likely. But the rewards can be insane.

If you really wanne be a free-to-play player. Researching arena guides is a must. Its really the best and fastest way to get all the cards for free. And people have already done it before. So its not impossible. But it does take time and dedication. I've done 5x arena runs on 1 day because of profits. And im not the best arena player. The alternative is to pay, give or take 300$-500$ to get everything. Depending on how lucky you are with opening packs. But you really dont need every card to be succesful in this game. Just buying 40 packs will get you quick started. And who knows you might open up multiple legendaries. I've seen single packs with triple legendaries.....

Right now Naxx is out. And you need 700 gold to unlock the wings with the new cards. And you really want the new cards, since some of them are very very strong. Not to mention they include legendary cards.

If people want more advice or play against me:
    BattleTag EU: PaiMei#2114
    Last edited by Beatrix23; 07-31-2014 at 09:52 AM.

Shadowsworn's Sandwich Reputation: 67

i love arena. its pretty rare that i get less then 6 wins so i actually got all of my cards from arena, no need to invest any gold but yes you have to actually read up quite a lot if you are new to arena.

its kinda like MTG if you are new. gotta invest lots of time to learn the ropes
    Kritika Online
    Server: 보야카 - Guild: Guardians

Finster - Shadow Mage | Funken - Mystic Wolf
    Blutig - Crimson Assassin

A Shrubbery Reputation: 41

I have 300 unopened packs from arena runs only, since I have all the cards there's no need to open the packs lol. Might save until i have like 1000 packs then open/craft gold cards.

These are my current stats.. as you can see i'm not a big fan of constructed, i play almost only arena as I find it a lot more enjoyable.
    http://imgur.com/yMGGfYg
    Quote Originally Posted by Zynosphere View Post
    that works to lmao. we should all make a guild lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by Koga View Post
    But then lmao. it will last lmao. about 2 days lmao. just like every other onrpg guild lmao. lmao.

Kripp spent over 200$ on packs so lol

RIP Xfire

Quote Originally Posted by tihi85 View Post
    Kripp spent over 200$ on packs so lol
    Yeah, donations duh. But he got like 20k gold and dust sitting around. He got everything from arena.