Do you think there is still a negative stigma regarding guys playing female character

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    TerrinBlaze's Treasure Reputation: 32

Default Do you think there is still a negative stigma regarding guys playing female character

Or is it gone?

I mostly play female characters in anime-style MMORPG, since I feel like Anime-style is better suited for females than males.

However, in terms of Western MMORPGs I usually play male characters.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

Yeah there is. But I wouldn't call it a ''stigma''. Some people think its weird, some don't. Who cares what they think. Do what you want.
    Relax and enjoy life

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

It still is, but only because people still associate their real identities with their ingame ones. I personally play an equal amount of both so I'm used to it.

The real question is, "Do you care?". The only thing I care about is if the person playing, knows how to play. That's all I've ever cared about.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    Smash Bros 3DS NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366)

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 76

I play both, just usually go by who looks better in the games armours/clothes xD
    League of Legends US - IGN ForceModified
    Steam - mystryx1

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 293

no this again ... only time i had a male character was in WoW as Draenei shaman because shoulders looks cool when they are big... never had a male character in any other mmo... except if its gender locked.
    Some Stories Are Just Way Better In My Head!

Game Journalist Reputation: 407

Usually I play a male character, but when I play an MMO and I figure I wont play it long I will sometimes make a female character. However, this sometimes comes back to bite me (in Dragon's Prophet and Wurm Online, for example) and I end playing the game a lot and my main character is a female.

I find that, unless I encourage it, most people figure I'm a guy to begin with and treat me as such. There's definitely a few people here and there that treat me a bit odd until I tell them I'm a guy or they hear me in VOIP. I've seen some people go from White Knights to white supremacy racists in a matter of moments. But most people just don't give a shit. I've never had anyone that I actually play with (IE friends and guildies) complain about me playing female characters, and I've never complained about a guy playing a female character either.

I do give people a choice, though. Some people just want to be the other gender so they'll play the other gender. If these people tell me that they're the gender that they're playing, I will treat them as such, even if I know they're really a guy. Most of the time, this just means I'll call them a her/she instead of a he/him, or vice versa.

Generally, unless it's just someone trolling, a majority of gamers don't give a flying **** what you are, what you're playing, what you like, etc... as long as you're not being an ass hole.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

General Manager Reputation: 353

It's only an issue because the people judging you are having issues separating the importance of real world identity with the laid back nature of online gaming. Turn it around on em as they likely have the far more serious issues to deal with.
    Id rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

It's a sign you're a bad person if somebody else acted like you, you would hate them. - Swagger Pope

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 260

I'd say there is no stigma and no one cares. MMOs have been wildly popular for over 10 years and this kind of thing is common. The only people who give you crap for it are people who don't play MMOs or games in general.

Fabio_R's Fruitcup Reputation: 80

If people really care about it, Tomb Raider wouldn't be as popular as it is today.
    It's WNxPyrZern. Pleased to meet you.
    Pyr3D.com - My Folio
    ---

Game Journalist Reputation: 10

There still is, of course. But I'd venture to say that no one who matters cares.
    Currently Playing: Lord of the Rings Online, Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer

Anticipating: The return of City of Heroes, damn it.

Past: World of Warcraft, The Secret World, Hellgate: London, Earth and Beyond, EVE Online, TERA, Rift, City of Villains/Heroes, Champions Online, Guild Wars 2, LOTRO, and a bunch of others I can't remember right now.

Check out my cyberpunk novel: Children of Athena

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast