Toxikk- Frag like its '99

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Arena shooters are dead, yeah. I mean a studio might make a totally awesome arena shooter and bring it back to the mass market, but currently the "cramped corridors, twitch reflex" shoot-em-up is dead. I used to spend lots of time in UT 99 and UT2004 but with huge map games like Battlefield out there today, no reason to go back except nostalgia.

Currently Playing: Achaea

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

Quote Originally Posted by Aktillum View Post
    Arena shooters are dead, yeah. I mean a studio might make a totally awesome arena shooter and bring it back to the mass market, but currently the "cramped corridors, twitch reflex" shoot-em-up is dead. I used to spend lots of time in UT 99 and UT2004 but with huge map games like Battlefield out there today, no reason to go back except nostalgia.
    Who said anything about cramped corridors? The maps look pretty big and expansive from what I can see. Tribes ascend had huge maps, yet it still failed to keep its base, so I dont think big maps alone are the issue
    Relax and enjoy life

Master Chief's Windex Reputation: 10

this game looks alright but I think i'd rather play the new UT that's in development. Arena Shooters aren't dead there is just not a good one out at the moment. Nobody wants to play that pile of shit Shootmania and Quake Live is dead because of premium

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Thetake View Post
    Who said anything about cramped corridors? The maps look pretty big and expansive from what I can see. Tribes ascend had huge maps, yet it still failed to keep its base, so I dont think big maps alone are the issue
    I see what you're saying. When I think "arena shooter" I think of the small, sci-fi / industrial maps from UT / Quake. Lots of hallways, maybe a insta-kill trap or 2 (like pressing a button to trap people in an electrified grid, or falling off the map or whatever), etc. Maps in arena shooters did start to get bigger, like some of the outdoor maps in UT2004.

The term "arena shooter" is such a grey area because its so hard to define what an "arena shooter" is. Is it an FPS with maps you can't leave? Well then all FPS are "arenas", lol. I think UT99 sort of ran with the "arena shooter" concept by actually giving it a storyline (the maps really are arenas and you're a prisoner fighting for freedom while a global corporation broadcasts the matches to TV viewers)

Currently Playing: Achaea

Codename: Duchess Reputation: 195

Personally, it looks like it could be a lot of fun (although I am a sucker for arena shooters).

Manic's Maniacal Machine Reputation: 17

Quote Originally Posted by Impsy View Post
    Quake Live is dead because of premium
    What. Quake Live has literally one of the most fair free to play models, only beaten by Dota 2. It's not dead, it's low populated, and that's not because of the premium, but because of the age.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12