Oort Online - Maybe more than can be chewed?

Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Default Oort Online - Maybe more than can be chewed?

As an art major, i'm a major fan of games that allow you a certain amount of freedom, whether that be by customization of your character or the development of the environment around you. To this end, games like Terraria, Minecraft and Robocraft (all very different games) are of course exceptionally attractive to me. With this in mind i'v kept tabs on a variety of games which are in production that have similar development ideas, from Trove to Tug; the latest game to begin on this path being Oort Online.

Being created by the Wonderstruck development house, a little known developer with two games semi-complete to their credit, Oort takes on some seriously large ambitions. Plans of things from Goliath monsters that guard entire realms to developing trade-routs and massive cities, Oort seems to be attempting to set its self up to be something big. While the development house is by no means well known, they do have some experience with such games with the creation and further development of Polycraft, a simplistic game in which you are tasked to build and defend a village as a Robinson Crusoe style ship wreckee. As well as this the members of the team developing Oort Online come from various and wide ranging well known titles from the Assassins Creed franchise to Battle Field and many others. The development of the game is broken into segments and allows for the community to vote on which portion of the game they want to see developed fully next (I.E crafting, combat, creatures, loot etc).

At present the game has only gotten its extreme alpha out to be tested; a build with no real character models, nor combat to speak of, yet it seems to be growing in both renown and following. After only observing the growth and donations for two days i saw well over twenty thousand dollars amass in their alpha sign ups. While it's certainly still in its infancy and i wouldn't suggest anyone here donate to the game until later on in its life cycle when the game is more feature complete, i most DEFINITELY will be keeping a weathered eye on this title and hope to see it grow in the future into something really great and worth talking about further.

Homepage: http://oortonline.com/

Polycraft: https://ga.me/games/polycraft

Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 70

I submitted a question via e-mail directly since their submit a question button doesn't work. I really really really dislike forced PVP, so I asked if it would be possible to avoid it altogether (I highly doubt such.)

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

I agree, it can lead to greifing WAY to easily! (see Minecraft =,=)

Lothia's Lurker Reputation: 70

According to their response, PVP Is opt-in only.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Cingal's Collar Reputation: 36

Hmm. Despite this being the very early stages of the development it's looking impressive. Very tempted to opt in be it the way things have gone with Landmark and Cube World being necro'd every 5-6months.

Homepage | DA page | My first Flash game >=( | Favorite Flash | Random YT Vid

+ Zappa has died. Lest us forget... +

I'm personally hesitent to opt into any more early development games right now, but if you feel the draw, go for it!

I seriously hope the community votes to work on character models next, just so people arn't running around as big orange rectangles and actually have something to look at now that they've funded the combat features. The way they're funding it seems like a very good idea to me, cutting it into chunks and allowing people to vote on what comes next, especially since they're funding to play the early early alpha.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Probably gonna just wait till late 2015 to play. There's gonna be a lot of stuff coming out between now and then so I dont see much a point to pay a bunch of money to play an unfinished project early. It looks and sounds fine don't get me wrong, but I already know my time is going to be filled playing a number of games that are coming out soon.

Bookmarked it.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis
    Smash Bros 3DS NNID Sliphatos (1762-2677-2366)