Time for an Upgrade?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Default Time for an Upgrade?

So I'm thinking of upgrading my computer (or possibly rebuilding). The obvious place to upgrade would be my Graphics Card, but perhaps my CPU as well? Or maybe I could get a new cooling unit and do some overclocking. Who knows. Anyways, here are my current parts. Let me know what you think I should upgrade.

Motherboard Link
    CPU (Phenom II x4 955) Link
    RAM (1600 G.Skill, 4GBx2) Link
    GPU (Radeon HD 6870 1G Link
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 08-12-2014 at 04:20 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Game Journalist Reputation: 75

I had basically the same build as you before. I recently upgraded from the 6870 to a GTX 770. I'm also upgrading from a X4 955 to a 8350. Pretty cool how we had the same GPU and CPU combination.

I would upgrade both the GPU and CPU. No need to rebuild. I'd also recommend a 3rd party cooler as the stock AMD ones are not very good. I use the Hyper 212 EVO, it is reasonably priced and works great. I'm currently running my X4 955 @ 3.8GHz with no problems, can even push it to 4.0GHz.

If you want to know upgrade slowly, I'd pick up a new GPU for now (I recommend the GTX 770, it's a bit pricey but it runs great. I bought it for $400 in Canada after rebate, I believe it's cheaper in the US). Then you can pick up a CPU cooler and run your processor over clocked for a while until you can upgrade it.

I recommend the FX-8350 which is very fast and not too pricey. However you can go for lower ones like the 6300 or 8320, but I would just got for the 8350 if you can afford it. However, you will need a new motherboard since yours is AM3 and the new AMD processors use AM3+. In this case, you could switch over to Intel, which is faster but pricier. (Only really faster if you want really high end, otherwise there are competitively priced AMD equivalents. I feel that Intel is the best choice if you can afford it but AMD is the best bang for the buck.)

Basically you will want to buy (given in order if you're limited on money):

GPU: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-gefo...84874-1248.htm (Might want to check your PSU as well just to see if you have enough power) -- Cheaper options include something like the GTX 760 or even 660. If you want ATI you have the 280(x) or even 290. I'd recommend Nvidia but it's up to personal preference.

Cooler: http://www.ncix.com/detail/cooler-ma...o-6a-64385.htm -- Will make your CPU cooler and makes less sound. This will let you over clock if you want to run the 955 for a while longer. Even if you don't want to over clock I still recommend this cooler.

Motherboard: You will want one that has socket AM3+ if you want to get my AMD recommendations. If you prefer Intel, pick out the processor and get a motherboard with the socket you need (probably LG1150).

CPU: http://www.ncix.com/detail/amd-fx-83...76932-1248.htm -- Can go for something cheaper like FX-6300 or FX-8320 if you want but I think the extra money for the 8350 is worth it.

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Nick is a wanker. Reputation: 605

What Abu said.

To add a bit more; the FX8350 is 215CAD. The Intel i5 4570 is 215CAD as well and it's noticeably better.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I believe I'll go GPU first and then buy the CPU and motherboard together at a later date.

Not sure when I'll end up buying this. Perhaps I can get some deals on the parts during the major sales at the various computer hardware sites if I wait a couple of months.

@Abu, yeah that's kind weird. But I believe it was one of the better CPU+GPU Combos you could get for your money three or so years ago. They've done me fantastic so far. I've been able to run every game at max settings for quite some time. Even able to record with fraps without much frame drop, as well. It's not been until this most recent generation of games that they've started to struggle a bit and made me think of upgrading.

Specifically in ArcheAge. I can run the game at the ultra settings with shadow enabled just fine in most place. But, as soon as I get in an area with large grouping of players or the big cities, it starts to become a slide-show. For now I can just lower my settings and deal with the lag, but I want to get my hands on some new parts so I can get back to doing what I usually do.

@Snow, do you think my problems in ArcheAge are due to my graphics card, or CPU? Or a combination of both? I suppose I can keep an eye on my Task Managers performance tab when I play this weekend to get a better idea of what was falling short.
    Last edited by ApocaRUFF; 08-12-2014 at 04:24 PM.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]

You'd better keep an eye out on your GPU temp. It just could be thermal throttling. MSI Afterburner is a good tool to look at your GPU stats in real time.

Quote Originally Posted by SnOwPrincess View Post
    You'd better keep an eye out on your GPU temp. It just could be thermal throttling. MSI Afterburner is a good tool to look at your GPU stats in real time.
    Apparently my GPU us idling at 64-67C. Also, I have SpeedFan and it's telling me my CPU is running at... well I'm not quite sure how to read it. I'll give you a screenshot.

-Cingal

That's why I don't like Speedfan. :/ You should use HWMonitor for general temperature readings and more specific tools like CPU-Z/GPU-Z and MSI Afterburner for more specific readings like voltages, OCing, load.

~~65C idle will scream throttling under load though.

Game Journalist Reputation: 75

I upgraded my card from the 6870 as well from heating issues. It got to hot and it even messed it self up most likely by melting a connection. Check CPU as well just in case as at one point my fan stopped working so it was throttling itself. Any point you see a slow down, the first thing I do is check temperatures just to be safe. And as you probably know, regular cleaning is very good.

In your case I'd go for what Snow said and get the Intel since it is same price but better performance since you will need to get a new motherboard in both cases. I'm personally going for the AMD since I will save money from having to buy a new motherboard but if I had a higher budget I would go for Intel.

So I just did a massive cleaning and now my temps are a lot lower. I'm ashamed that I let my computer get to that state ;__;

Anyways, current idle for GPU is at around 45 degrees. While playing ArcheAge, not in a particular intensive area, it's at 53-55 degrees.

My CPU is now at 47 degrees. That's with ArcheAge at High settings, six tabs open (including a youtube video playing), TS3 going, plus a bunch of other crap.

Now, I'm wondering if it would be alright to overclock my GPU a bit? I've never done it. But if it's idling at just 53 degrees, could I afford to get a bit more out of it? ArcheAge has some occassional spikes that take my GPU usage up to 90+ percent (according to afterburner). My only worry is my stock fan on the CPU.

Any opinions?
    -Cingal

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Overclocking is really a thing where you don't mind of it standing the chance of breaking the piece. Though you plan on changing cpu so I'd say you're pretty much ready to build a new one since new cpu mostly mean new motherboard. Unless you plan to find a cpu that uses the same pins as your motherboard.

When you do decide to build a new computer I'd suggest to use liquid cooling really helps with heating issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast