Any free 3D chat virtual world style MMOs similar to Second Life?

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default Any free 3D chat virtual world style MMOs similar to Second Life?

I've tried both Second Life and IMVU and my computer ran them horribly way too much lag I can't even play them, my PC runs other MMOs like Champions Online, The Secret World, Star Trek: Online, etc, with absolutely no lag at all I have very fast internet, the only reason I can think of is that Second Life and IMVU are too old for my PC to run SL was release in 2003 and IMVU in 2004, my PC is still new (2013) Windows 8.1.

So anyways I'm looking for a free 3D chat virtual world style MMO similar to Second Life, but I want a newer one with a good sized playerbase. Thanks.

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Entropia Universe can be played that way if you wish, and many do.
    (I play more for the skilling, killing and economy, but my wife does more of the clothing and chatting type stuff (she keeps me well dressed as well))

edit: she has the skills and gear to run with the top dogs when she wants to... just we have slightly different focuses which is the nice part of playing a sandbox, its open to all types of playstyles.
    Last edited by Narfi Hungry Willem; 08-13-2014 at 08:00 PM.

EntropiaPlanets - Fan Site I am involved with
    Entropia Wiki

Game Journalist Reputation: 421

Probably wont have much luck playing EU if you can't run SL. Could check out out something like Gaia Online. Back in the day, it's what I used for my chanting needs. Plus it had a lot of mini-games. I still get spam from it time to time, so I guess it's still going.
    "....However, as with all things, you will encounter the odd retard and or asshole."
    -Cingal
    -------(New Video!)------------------------(New Post!)[9/26]----------(Updated for ArcheAge!)[4/28]
    Youtube Channel | Twitch | Gaming Blog | Amitabha Gaming Guild

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 11

It could be that it is not a client-side related issue, and as thermium wrote, he has a recent PC ( at least that is how i understand it ).
    As Entropia's CE2 update was in 2009 meanwhile a halway recent PC should be able to run it well ( Though there can be still some lag especially in peak times and more recently due to defective server hardware which was replaced last week ).

Anyway as it is free, worth a try.

P.S. The official system requirements taken from Entropia's website:

General System Requirements

Operating System: Windows XP (32-bit SP3, 64-bit SP2), Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.x.
    To run on Mac or Linux hardware - check here.

System Requirements Based on Graphics Quality Settings

In the Options-Graphics window in Entropia Universe you can adjust the settings for the General Graphics Quality. This will influence the realism of the graphics but also performance. Below are the system requirements for each Graphics Quality option.

Very High Settings

Internet Connection: ADSL or better

Computer Processor: Intel I7 / AMD Phenom II
    Computer Memory: 4096 MB RAM or more
    Graphics Card (with latest drivers): NVIDIA GeForce 285 / ATI Radeon 4870 or better
    DirectX: Version 9.0c or later
    Sound Device: Direct X compatible sound device
    Screen Resolution: 1024 x 768 pixels
    Hard Drive Space: 10 GB of free space

High Settings

Computer Processor: Intel Core duo or AMD Athlon 64 X2 Series or better
    Computer Memory: 2048 MB RAM or more
    Graphics Card (with latest drivers): NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Series or better / ATI Radeon 2900 series or better.

Medium Settings

These requirements should be considered the minimum system requirements for Entropia Universe:

Computer Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8g hz or AMD Athlon 64 Series or better
    Computer Memory: 2048 MB RAM or more
    Graphics Card (with latest drivers): NVIDIA GeForce 7800 Series or better / ATI Radeon 1900 series or better.

Low Settings

If your system falls below the Medium Settings requirement you may still be able to participate in Entropia Universe, but your visual experience will be hampered. If you use Medium Settings on a system below Medium Settings requirements, you may suffer from low frame rate. If you use Low Settings, there may be artifacts such as white texture-less avatars, no ground vegetation, short draw distance and no shadows.

Please note that support is not given on technical issues deriving from a computer that only handles the Low Settings.
    Last edited by Jennson; 08-14-2014 at 05:06 PM.

Gaia doesn't really appeal to me since it's not in 3D and sort of cute anime. I'll try Entropia I guess. Thanks.

New one came out lately called Velvet Sundown, it's f2p social mmorpg on steam - http://store.steampowered.com/app/307290/

FabianN's Fanatic Reputation: 70

Active Worlds: http://web.activeworlds.com/index.php

It predates Second Life by about 6-7 years.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: FFXIV:Heavensward, FFXV, KH3, Tree of Savior Saving For: An Epic Computer