Help me decide on an MMO

Str1der's Stooge Reputation: 52

Default Help me decide on an MMO

I've kinda burnt myself out on FFXIV due to playing it pretty much non-stop for 4 months, and I don't have much to do besides cap soldiery and run ST every week, so I figured I'd find another game to play when I run out of things to do in XIV. I'm considering heading back to Tera, Rift, or Aion. I would install all 3, but I have a very strict bandwidth limit in my current situation and can only install one.

Tera: This one is the most fun for me, combat-wise, but there's really not much to do outside of that. Also my character is starting to get to the high levels, where leveling has slowed down pretty significantly. There's also very little endgame.

Rift: I played the shit out of this before, but I burnt myself out shortly after the game went F2P. That being said, I'm willing to give this another go, but the 50 to 60 grind was pretty brutal. I've also heard that the game's F2P model hasn't really played out too well in a number of ways...

Aion: I haven't played this since its infancy, when private servers were rampant and even still it was still a grind. The game's changed a lot since then, and I'm kinda curious to see for myself how different it is. Also, the game has an interesting looking Bard class, which is difficult to find in a lot of games.

Part of me is also curious to try BnS, but I'm usually not one for getting into foreign games.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Brynhildr server), LoL (Zacewing, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

rift hands down

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10

I second Rift, but i dont understand how people say rifts free to play model isn't that great...For coming from a P2P title it has a the AAA Gfx and one of the best Models ive seen. I have played ALOT of mmo's in my life. and this one i have been hooked for 7 months now and dont see a plan to stop anytime soon.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Well there is so many out there, if you want a good mmo to make friends on with I could recommend WoW if you want to pay a large fee every month which I used to do but its so expensive.

Lord of the Rings was fun, you can do things you would normally do in other mmorpgs except theres housing (which is becoming more prominent in mmo games nowadays), you can grow pipeweed and smoke it, play songs on various different instruments, and more.

Ragnarok Online was fun, good community and gameplay until you gotta pay for third class.

Guild wars 2 would probably be more similar to the games you said you played up top. I only played GW1 so I dont know much of GW2 but my guess is they are similar.
    PC SPECS:
    1 potato
    I run a facebook page trying to help unknown indie games get players! Check it out.
    https://www.facebook.com/indiegameselite

Quote Originally Posted by vaaron View Post
    I second Rift, but i dont understand how people say rifts free to play model isn't that great...For coming from a P2P title it has a the AAA Gfx and one of the best Models ive seen. I have played ALOT of mmo's in my life. and this one i have been hooked for 7 months now and dont see a plan to stop anytime soon.
    From what I've seen and heard, major content patches have slowed to a crawl since the game went F2P. Plus the idea that people can just buy their way into high-end raid content rubs me the wrong way. :x

Quote Originally Posted by Nercolex View Post
    Well there is so many out there, if you want a good mmo to make friends on with I could recommend WoW if you want to pay a large fee every month which I used to do but its so expensive.

Lord of the Rings was fun, you can do things you would normally do in other mmorpgs except theres housing (which is becoming more prominent in mmo games nowadays), you can grow pipeweed and smoke it, play songs on various different instruments, and more.

Ragnarok Online was fun, good community and gameplay until you gotta pay for third class.

Guild wars 2 would probably be more similar to the games you said you played up top. I only played GW1 so I dont know much of GW2 but my guess is they are similar.
    Already played all of these games, not really interested in any of them atm. I've narrowed it down to the ones mentioned in my OP because those are the ones I'm interested in playing atm.

Currently playing: FFXIV (Elucifer Arclight, Brynhildr server), LoL (Zacewing, NA server), SMITE (Zacewing)

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 10

I would say Aion. It has changed a lot and is much easier to level up. It has its 3 new classes: Gunner, Songweaver, and Aethertech to try out :P. Not to mention it is just a rather beautiful and polished game. I found it more enjoyable than Tera. I have not spent an incredible amount of time in Rift though. I played at the beginning but haven't been back to it since.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Aion and Tera are dirty dirty foreign games. I suggest Rift.

Yeah, I ended up deciding on Aion. It's almost a completely new experience for me. Besides, in two weeks I'll be back at school and have unlimited bandwidth for downloading the others should I lose interest in Aion too quickly.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 260

I have played a crapton of Rift and Aion. I'd consider them the best of what the west (Rift) and east (Aion) have to offer.

Aion is way better now than what it was during launch when everyone's peepees were getting crushed by server overloads. The character customization has been improved, tons of content was added, the graphics were overhauled, and leveling was made much more forgiving (I remember having to grind for like 3 hours because there was a gap in quests...from level 24-25 lol).