The Purge

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 319

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    i dunno i haven't seen either of these movies. well i did see in time but i didn't pay attention to it.
    Neither are that good, but they bring up some interesting points. I'd say watch em though.
    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.
    http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kashis

The Undead Reputation: 447

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    if the only thing stopping you from being an asshole is fear of the repercussions, then yr already an asshole. yr a cowardly asshole.
    I wouldn't call it cowardly. Just not stupid enough to want to gamble with a life behind bars.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Would you label people who got married in the United States criminals if they decided to get married on the Purge in a state that says it's illegal?
    No, because I wouldn't consider that a legitimate law. Similarly, I don't consider gay marriage an illegal offense. Every state will legalize it in time.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    No, because I wouldn't consider that a legitimate law. Similarly, I don't consider gay marriage an illegal offense. Every state will legalize it in time.
    Doesn't matter what you or I think is a "legitimate law", a criminal is still a criminal. And there have been a lot of advancements and changes for the better because of criminal activity. A lot of the stuff during the civil rights movement that had people locked up weren't "legitimate laws", but it was because of people facing the consequences that they eventually changed.

It's easy to think of all the negative things you could do given free reign, but what about positive things? Is there anything you would do given the chance all our laws ceased to exist?
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-17-2014 at 11:50 PM.

Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

No consequence?

The dilema always comes from the challenge. I don't feel challenged by this particular situation. Everyone ought to need a bigger push than just being given the option. I believe society is for the people, not in reverse. If it is, it would make little sense to give it away for a nonspecific gain coupled with nonspecific risks. That's an absurd choice. The story needs a bigger carrot.

Concerning the psychology of nasty people. Most live their borderline behaviours, because there is a border. Taking that border away would be a threat to their identity.
    Last edited by Ronin; 08-17-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Stay frosty.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

id say just hoard some deadlly killer viruses like Ebola, Anthrax, Smallpox and realse it all all over the world during the Purge. Have a massive depopulation then take over the world and RULE AS ETERNAL DICTATOR, OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!! YEAAHHH!!!!
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

The Undead Reputation: 447

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!!
    but in other universes you didn't become overlord of the multiverse...

i can see this getting complicated.

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 120

Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Doesn't matter what you or I think is a "legitimate law", a criminal is still a criminal. And there have been a lot of advancements and changes for the better because of criminal activity. A lot of the stuff during the civil rights movement that had people locked up weren't "legitimate laws", but it was because of people facing the consequences that they eventually changed.

It's easy to think of all the negative things you could do given free reign, but what about positive things? Is there anything you would do given the chance all our laws ceased to exist?
    Actually, it does matter, that's why the laws are constantly changing. That's why gay marriage is slowly, but surely, being legalized across the nation. It's because our opinions matter on what should and shouldn't be laws, that laws are constructed or deconstructed. They aren't made out of nowhere.

Laws that do not intend to keep people safe or inhibit people from doing harmless acts are likely not good laws, hence why such laws rarely exist or are changed. AKA illegitimate laws. AKA laws that will be changed in time to better represent logic and fairness.

Currently, gay marriage laws exist because people have deluded themselves with illogical lies about the matrimony.

If it was illegal to marry during The Purge, sure, they'd be legally criminals. But legally, illegitimate criminals.

I think I would be too afraid to leave my house to do anything positive during no-law day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    id say just hoard some deadlly killer viruses like Ebola, Anthrax, Smallpox and realse it all all over the world during the Purge. Have a massive depopulation then take over the world and RULE AS ETERNAL DICTATOR, OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!! YEAAHHH!!!!
    Now what would you actually do?
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Oh i'd totally loot Wal-Mart or gamestop or best buy if I didn't think I would be killed in the process.

**** a corporation. Zero remorse. it's not that id feel bad for doing it or think twice about it if I didn't think some psycho would mow me down.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd never steal from a person or small business though.

Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Actually, it does matter, that's why the laws are constantly changing. That's why gay marriage is slowly, but surely, being legalized across the nation. It's because our opinions matter on what should and shouldn't be laws, that laws are constructed or deconstructed. They aren't made out of nowhere.
    Of course they don't appear from nowhere, laws are made based on the wishes of the people at the time and if people didn't want specific things to be made a law, they wouldn't have been in the first place. Not all laws are made simply for the good of the people, which is why have have stupid and contradictory ones that we are still trying to change.

At some point in time, enough people got together and decided, "You know what? I don't think these people should be able to do or have ____" and that became a reality. There's no such thing as an illegitimate law. They were made laws through the same system we all adhere to. Stupid, yes, but legit.

But again, that's the whole point of the Purge right? Cleanse everyone's mind of evil by letting people do evil for a day. In this movie, that's what this society has come to as a solution to violence and and crime and in this setting it significantly reduced the amount of it.

I think a better question to ask about this would be, "do you guys think that this actually has a chance of working in our society?" Or something such as Pre-Crime in Minority Report or even the Sybil System in Psycho Pass?
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-18-2014 at 01:09 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast