Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 47

Thread: The Purge

  1. #1
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default The Purge

    Due to the recent events of rumors in several cities across the US about reenacting The Purge, it got me thinking. If your country legally allowed you to commit any crime, including murder, without punishment, for several hours, would you take advantage of that opportunity?

    I think a very high number of people would. I don't think the majority of people in my country would, but a very high number. I imagine there would be several thousand murders.

    Be honest; would you?

    I wouldn't.

  2. #2
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Chances are the average person would be slaughtered by military and police guys that decided to join in on the fun.

    I think I'd stay inside.

  3. #3
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 317
    Bad Hamster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hamsterville
    Posts
    13,757
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    I'd be shooting at people with markers using red paintballs.

  4. #4
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'd probably just steal stuff. Anyone who'd try to stop me would die though.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  5. #5
    in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151
    Oisterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trash Boat
    Posts
    25,880
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    I'm a baby, I'd stay in my home. Maybe help my buddy kill his crazy uncle.

  6. #6
    $$$
    Guest

    Default

    of course not. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because i'm scared of the punishment. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because stealing stuff and hurting people is a shitty thing to do.

    if the only thing stopping you from being an ******* is fear of the repercussions, then yr already an *******. yr a cowardly *******.
    Last edited by $$$; 08-17-2014 at 10:50 PM.

  7. #7
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    of course not. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because i'm scared of the punishment. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because stealing stuff and hurting people is a shitty thing to do.

    if the only thing stopping you from being an ******* is fear of the repercussions, then yr already an *******. yr a cowardly *******.

    You could apply that very same logic to those who do not commit "sins" for fear of hell and/or to get into heaven when they die.

    But since when was stealing and murder always committed for selfish reasons like in the Purge? What do you think of the situation with what the protagonists in the movie In Time did?
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  8. #8
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    of course not. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because i'm scared of the punishment. i don't go around stealing stuff and hurting people because stealing stuff and hurting people is a shitty thing to do.

    if the only thing stopping you from being an ******* is fear of the repercussions, then yr already an *******. yr a cowardly *******.
    I agree.

    I figured we'd have some criminals here. Ironically, I would have assumed you'd be one of them. Much respect for this answer.

  9. #9
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    I agree.

    I figured we'd have some criminals here. Ironically, I would have assumed you'd be one of them. Much respect for this answer.
    Would you label people who got married in the United States criminals if they decided to get married on the Purge in a state that says it's illegal?
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  10. #10
    $$$
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    You could apply that very same logic to those who do not commit "sins" for fear of hell and/or to get into heaven when they die.
    totes

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis
    But since when was stealing and murder always committed for selfish reasons like in the Purge? What do you think of the situation with what the protagonists in the movie In Time did?
    i dunno i haven't seen either of these movies. well i did see in time but i didn't pay attention to it.

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    I figured we'd have some criminals here. Ironically, I would have assumed you'd be one of them.
    thanks!
    Last edited by $$$; 08-17-2014 at 11:28 PM.

  11. #11
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    i dunno i haven't seen either of these movies. well i did see in time but i didn't pay attention to it.
    Neither are that good, but they bring up some interesting points. I'd say watch em though.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  12. #12
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    if the only thing stopping you from being an ******* is fear of the repercussions, then yr already an *******. yr a cowardly *******.
    I wouldn't call it cowardly. Just not stupid enough to want to gamble with a life behind bars.

  13. #13
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Would you label people who got married in the United States criminals if they decided to get married on the Purge in a state that says it's illegal?
    No, because I wouldn't consider that a legitimate law. Similarly, I don't consider gay marriage an illegal offense. Every state will legalize it in time.

  14. #14
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    No, because I wouldn't consider that a legitimate law. Similarly, I don't consider gay marriage an illegal offense. Every state will legalize it in time.
    Doesn't matter what you or I think is a "legitimate law", a criminal is still a criminal. And there have been a lot of advancements and changes for the better because of criminal activity. A lot of the stuff during the civil rights movement that had people locked up weren't "legitimate laws", but it was because of people facing the consequences that they eventually changed.

    It's easy to think of all the negative things you could do given free reign, but what about positive things? Is there anything you would do given the chance all our laws ceased to exist?
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-17-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  15. #15
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 640
    Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Hitman Victor
    Posts
    6,336
    Rep Power
    25

    Default

    No consequence?

    The dilema always comes from the challenge. I don't feel challenged by this particular situation. Everyone ought to need a bigger push than just being given the option. I believe society is for the people, not in reverse. If it is, it would make little sense to give it away for a nonspecific gain coupled with nonspecific risks. That's an absurd choice. The story needs a bigger carrot.

    Concerning the psychology of nasty people. Most live their borderline behaviours, because there is a border. Taking that border away would be a threat to their identity.
    Last edited by Ronin; 08-17-2014 at 11:54 PM.

    Stay frosty.

  16. #16
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 106
    queenvoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,475
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    id say just hoard some deadlly killer viruses like Ebola, Anthrax, Smallpox and realse it all all over the world during the Purge. Have a massive depopulation then take over the world and RULE AS ETERNAL DICTATOR, OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!! YEAAHHH!!!!
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

    http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

  17. #17
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!!
    but in other universes you didn't become overlord of the multiverse...

    i can see this getting complicated.

  18. #18
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kashis View Post
    Doesn't matter what you or I think is a "legitimate law", a criminal is still a criminal. And there have been a lot of advancements and changes for the better because of criminal activity. A lot of the stuff during the civil rights movement that had people locked up weren't "legitimate laws", but it was because of people facing the consequences that they eventually changed.

    It's easy to think of all the negative things you could do given free reign, but what about positive things? Is there anything you would do given the chance all our laws ceased to exist?
    Actually, it does matter, that's why the laws are constantly changing. That's why gay marriage is slowly, but surely, being legalized across the nation. It's because our opinions matter on what should and shouldn't be laws, that laws are constructed or deconstructed. They aren't made out of nowhere.

    Laws that do not intend to keep people safe or inhibit people from doing harmless acts are likely not good laws, hence why such laws rarely exist or are changed. AKA illegitimate laws. AKA laws that will be changed in time to better represent logic and fairness.

    Currently, gay marriage laws exist because people have deluded themselves with illogical lies about the matrimony.

    If it was illegal to marry during The Purge, sure, they'd be legally criminals. But legally, illegitimate criminals.





    I think I would be too afraid to leave my house to do anything positive during no-law day.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    id say just hoard some deadlly killer viruses like Ebola, Anthrax, Smallpox and realse it all all over the world during the Purge. Have a massive depopulation then take over the world and RULE AS ETERNAL DICTATOR, OVERLORD OF THE MULTIVERSE!!!!!!! YEAAHHH!!!!
    Now what would you actually do?

  19. #19
    in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151
    Oisterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trash Boat
    Posts
    25,880
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Oh i'd totally loot Wal-Mart or gamestop or best buy if I didn't think I would be killed in the process.

    **** a corporation. Zero remorse. it's not that id feel bad for doing it or think twice about it if I didn't think some psycho would mow me down.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'd never steal from a person or small business though.

  20. #20
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Actually, it does matter, that's why the laws are constantly changing. That's why gay marriage is slowly, but surely, being legalized across the nation. It's because our opinions matter on what should and shouldn't be laws, that laws are constructed or deconstructed. They aren't made out of nowhere.
    Of course they don't appear from nowhere, laws are made based on the wishes of the people at the time and if people didn't want specific things to be made a law, they wouldn't have been in the first place. Not all laws are made simply for the good of the people, which is why have have stupid and contradictory ones that we are still trying to change.

    At some point in time, enough people got together and decided, "You know what? I don't think these people should be able to do or have ____" and that became a reality. There's no such thing as an illegitimate law. They were made laws through the same system we all adhere to. Stupid, yes, but legit.

    But again, that's the whole point of the Purge right? Cleanse everyone's mind of evil by letting people do evil for a day. In this movie, that's what this society has come to as a solution to violence and and crime and in this setting it significantly reduced the amount of it.

    I think a better question to ask about this would be, "do you guys think that this actually has a chance of working in our society?" Or something such as Pre-Crime in Minority Report or even the Sybil System in Psycho Pass?
    Last edited by Kashis; 08-18-2014 at 01:09 AM.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  21. #21
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Oh i'd totally loot Wal-Mart or gamestop or best buy if I didn't think I would be killed in the process.

    **** a corporation. Zero remorse. it's not that id feel bad for doing it or think twice about it if I didn't think some psycho would mow me down.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I'd never steal from a person or small business though.
    Comforting to know the country would go to shit if the laws were temporarily ceased. QnQ

  22. #22
    Forum PvPer Reputation: 629

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    [REDACTED]
    Posts
    6,129
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TuxedoSam View Post
    Comforting to know the country would go to shit if the laws were temporarily ceased. QnQ
    Why do you think they put them there in the first place? We're fvcking animals.

    edit:

    no beastiality.

  23. #23
    in the sky with diamonds Reputation: 1151
    Oisterman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Trash Boat
    Posts
    25,880
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Meh. I'm not gonna be dishonest about it. If people did the old smash and grab while I was in Wal-Mart I'd fill me up a cart.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoco...ly-foundation/

    They wouldn't even feel it

  24. #24
    Hoshigami Reputation: 427
    Kashis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Plainfield, New Jersey
    Posts
    8,095
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Meh. I'm not gonna be dishonest about it. If people did the old smash and grab while I was in Wal-Mart I'd fill me up a cart.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoco...ly-foundation/

    They wouldn't even feel it
    Bruh, you don't have to wait for the purge for that to happen, just wait for Black Friday in a major city again. That shit gets worse every year.
    Be careful of what you say, tomorrow or today, for the words you now speak, may become the poison your enemies later seek; truth.

    "Rules do not exist to bind you, they exist so you may know your freedoms"

  25. #25
    Banned Reputation: 302

    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Rainbow
    Posts
    1,073
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Z0MBiE View Post
    Why do you think they put them there in the first place? We're fvcking animals.

    edit:

    no beastiality.
    We are animals, but on a completely different level as other kinds of animals. We have the ability to empathize and rationalize.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Oisterboy View Post
    Meh. I'm not gonna be dishonest about it. If people did the old smash and grab while I was in Wal-Mart I'd fill me up a cart.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoco...ly-foundation/

    They wouldn't even feel it
    That's not an excuse to steal. lol

    I hoped for honesty, but I was not prepared for this honesty. I didn't think some of you would actually stoop to these lows. Congrats. I am genuinely shocked.

    I should put this question on my boyfriend application.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •