MMORPG where the more you use a skill. the better you become at it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

Default MMORPG where the more you use a skill. the better you become at it

I recently read this manga called The Gamer and I really liked how he was leveling his skills up. Basically he has a skill, let's say fireball. The more he uses fireball, the stronger it becomes by leveling up. Or the more he uses a 2-handed sword, the better he is at using it. Also, I would like where you can distribute your skill points to STR, AGI, INT and the like.

Any games similar to this?

Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 12

Well, FFXI has a weapon system similar.

Each Job has a rank with a weapon. Take Thief for example, they have an A+ in Daggers, meaning they can get the max amount of skill levels with a Dagger, you level up your weapons skill level as you use it. Each level adds 1 Attack and Accuracy to your weapon.

Pandora Saga also uses a similar system, but I don't know how alive that one is.

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126

On a quick search, The Elder Scrolls Online also has this "skills level up as you use them" feature.

"The Gamer" actually combines the ideas from various MMORPGs into one. The stat system for example is pretty much taken from Ragnarok Online, but that one has skill points for skills rather than leveling them up by using them. It also doesn't have skill scrolls either (those were taken from Aion, as well as the rank/status display). Not sure where the learning by using system actually comes from, but in fact, in the manga, the main character actually says himself that it's different from the usual MMORPGs he played.

It might be based on FFXI, but as the manga is Korean, I would expect it more to be based off on popular Korean MMORPGs (Ragnarok Online and Aion both are/used to be very popular MMORPGs in Korea).

I know such systems rather from offline games like the Tales of... series (ever skill has a use count and if you used it often, it turns into a stronger version), plenty of western RPG as well as all of Akitoshi Kawazu's stuff ("SaGa" games + The Last Remnant to some extend).

Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    On a quick search, The Elder Scrolls Online also has this "skills level up as you use them" feature.

"The Gamer" actually combines the ideas from various MMORPGs into one. The stat system for example is pretty much taken from Ragnarok Online, but that one has skill points for skills rather than leveling them up by using them. It also doesn't have skill scrolls either (those were taken from Aion, as well as the rank/status display). Not sure where the learning by using system actually comes from, but in fact, in the manga, the main character actually says himself that it's different from the usual MMORPGs he played.

It might be based on FFXI, but as the manga is Korean, I would expect it more to be based off on popular Korean MMORPGs (Ragnarok Online and Aion both are/used to be very popular MMORPGs in Korea).

I know such systems rather from offline games like the Tales of... series (ever skill has a use count and if you used it often, it turns into a stronger version), plenty of western RPG as well as all of Akitoshi Kawazu's stuff ("SaGa" games + The Last Remnant to some extend).
    Yes, but the closest thing I have found with regards to what I'm looking for is Runescape but I don't want to play it. Every time you mine, craft or fight, your skills get stronger as you use them.

Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10

Project Gorgon has what you are looking for, but a really small player base at the current time. (30-40 at peak hours..) Though everyone is very helpful.

http://projectgorgon.com/

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

Entropia Universe. You skill what you use with multiple overlapping skills for each profession.
    For example if you use a laser rifle you will gain skills related to laser rifles. In time the overlapping skills will increase your BLP and plasma rifle professions as well as your laser pistol profession. Just not as fast as the direct profession you are using. While there are a couple of combat related skills that overlap you will hardly gain any melee professions (swords, knives, fists, whips) from using your laser rifle.

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 16

Ultima Online

The MMORPG that started it all, and still is way ahead of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    Ultima Online

The MMORPG that started it all, and still is way ahead of its time.
    I checked it out. I really liked it but I don't like top-down. Is there a 3d game similar to this?

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Zhader View Post
    I checked it out. I really liked it but I don't like top-down. Is there a 3d game similar to this?
    If there was I would be playing it right now.

The closest you are going to get to Ultima at the moment is Runescape, but that game is also top down.

Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

Priston Tale by SubaGames. 3D MMORPG, the more you use the skill, the skill will level up and gets better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast