MMORPG where the more you use a skill. the better you become at it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default MMORPG where the more you use a skill. the better you become at it

    I recently read this manga called The Gamer and I really liked how he was leveling his skills up. Basically he has a skill, let's say fireball. The more he uses fireball, the stronger it becomes by leveling up. Or the more he uses a 2-handed sword, the better he is at using it. Also, I would like where you can distribute your skill points to STR, AGI, INT and the like.

    Any games similar to this?

  2. #2
    Orc's Breathmint Reputation: 12
    OmegaDivider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    111
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Well, FFXI has a weapon system similar.

    Each Job has a rank with a weapon. Take Thief for example, they have an A+ in Daggers, meaning they can get the max amount of skill levels with a Dagger, you level up your weapons skill level as you use it. Each level adds 1 Attack and Accuracy to your weapon.

    Pandora Saga also uses a similar system, but I don't know how alive that one is.

  3. #3
    OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 126
    Rya.Reisender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    5,513
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    On a quick search, The Elder Scrolls Online also has this "skills level up as you use them" feature.

    "The Gamer" actually combines the ideas from various MMORPGs into one. The stat system for example is pretty much taken from Ragnarok Online, but that one has skill points for skills rather than leveling them up by using them. It also doesn't have skill scrolls either (those were taken from Aion, as well as the rank/status display). Not sure where the learning by using system actually comes from, but in fact, in the manga, the main character actually says himself that it's different from the usual MMORPGs he played.

    It might be based on FFXI, but as the manga is Korean, I would expect it more to be based off on popular Korean MMORPGs (Ragnarok Online and Aion both are/used to be very popular MMORPGs in Korea).

    I know such systems rather from offline games like the Tales of... series (ever skill has a use count and if you used it often, it turns into a stronger version), plenty of western RPG as well as all of Akitoshi Kawazu's stuff ("SaGa" games + The Last Remnant to some extend).

  4. #4
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rya.Reisender View Post
    On a quick search, The Elder Scrolls Online also has this "skills level up as you use them" feature.

    "The Gamer" actually combines the ideas from various MMORPGs into one. The stat system for example is pretty much taken from Ragnarok Online, but that one has skill points for skills rather than leveling them up by using them. It also doesn't have skill scrolls either (those were taken from Aion, as well as the rank/status display). Not sure where the learning by using system actually comes from, but in fact, in the manga, the main character actually says himself that it's different from the usual MMORPGs he played.

    It might be based on FFXI, but as the manga is Korean, I would expect it more to be based off on popular Korean MMORPGs (Ragnarok Online and Aion both are/used to be very popular MMORPGs in Korea).

    I know such systems rather from offline games like the Tales of... series (ever skill has a use count and if you used it often, it turns into a stronger version), plenty of western RPG as well as all of Akitoshi Kawazu's stuff ("SaGa" games + The Last Remnant to some extend).
    Yes, but the closest thing I have found with regards to what I'm looking for is Runescape but I don't want to play it. Every time you mine, craft or fight, your skills get stronger as you use them.

  5. #5
    Samus' Girdle Reputation: 10
    Dekae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    36
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Project Gorgon has what you are looking for, but a really small player base at the current time. (30-40 at peak hours..) Though everyone is very helpful.

    http://projectgorgon.com/

  6. #6
    Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55
    Narfi Hungry Willem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    600
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Entropia Universe. You skill what you use with multiple overlapping skills for each profession.
    For example if you use a laser rifle you will gain skills related to laser rifles. In time the overlapping skills will increase your BLP and plasma rifle professions as well as your laser pistol profession. Just not as fast as the direct profession you are using. While there are a couple of combat related skills that overlap you will hardly gain any melee professions (swords, knives, fists, whips) from using your laser rifle.

  7. #7
    Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 16
    Tyrias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Ultima Online

    The MMORPG that started it all, and still is way ahead of its time.

  8. #8
    Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrias View Post
    Ultima Online

    The MMORPG that started it all, and still is way ahead of its time.
    I checked it out. I really liked it but I don't like top-down. Is there a 3d game similar to this?

  9. #9
    Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 16
    Tyrias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    181
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zhader View Post
    I checked it out. I really liked it but I don't like top-down. Is there a 3d game similar to this?
    If there was I would be playing it right now.

    The closest you are going to get to Ultima at the moment is Runescape, but that game is also top down.

  10. #10
    Still learning the ropes Reputation: 10

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    22
    Rep Power
    1

    Default

    Priston Tale by SubaGames. 3D MMORPG, the more you use the skill, the skill will level up and gets better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •