Why do you think books/movies like Hunger Games & Divergent are popular right now?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 120

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    trends change. vampires are out, dystopia is in. in a few years it'll be aliens or something.
    Vamps are never out.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Olpah's Object Reputation: 326

Yeah, as we're speaking a new season of Vampire Diaries is in production, and the Strain and True Blood is currently airing.

Vampires never grow old.

I wish somebody would shake it up a bit, and go more in the direction of a Nosferatu style vampire story - one where vampires are creepy, supernatural, and less focused on going to high-school/fitting into human society, and dating humans...

The Strain is cool, but the pacing is seriously bad, and I don't really dig the entire scientific/zombie outbreak spin to it.

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Entropia Universe Journalist Reputation: 55

I didn't read the books so not sure about them.
    The movies were a little more entertaining than 'B' movies on the Sci Fi channel but probably more of an insult with how shallow they were.

Sci Fi 'B' movies at least have the excuse of no budget.

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

Quote Originally Posted by hian View Post
    Yeah, as we're speaking a new season of Vampire Diaries is in production, and the Strain and True Blood is currently airing.

Vampires never grow old.

I wish somebody would shake it up a bit, and go more in the direction of a Nosferatu style vampire story - one where vampires are creepy, supernatural, and less focused on going to high-school/fitting into human society, and dating humans...

The Strain is cool, but the pacing is seriously bad, and I don't really dig the entire scientific/zombie outbreak spin to it.
    Sunday is the last day of True Blood. Never heard of The Strain; is it any good?

Divergent could have been so much more if they didn't go after the kiddy audience. That book had some really disturbing fear landscapes and it was super brutal. Example: The train scene in the book actually had people fall to their death.
    Last edited by Phanein; 08-22-2014 at 03:48 PM.
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

people out here... Reputation: 534

Quote Originally Posted by hian View Post
    Vampires never grow old.
    literally

Reading: Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami
    Last read: You Just Don't Understand!: Women and Men in Conversations by Deborah Tannen (A MUST READ), A Child Named "It" by Dave Pelzer (NOT BAD), A Dance With Dragons by GRRM (4.5/5)

Interested in why I picked these books, or want to recommend me some more? Just pm me. I love books.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 326

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    Sunday is the last day of True Blood. Never heard of The Strain; is it any good?

Divergent could have been so much more if they didn't go after the kiddy audience. That book had some really disturbing fear landscapes and it was super brutal. Example: The train scene in the book actually had people fall to their death.
    The Strain is good and bad at the same time imo.

It's kinda creepy, some good jump-scares, good special effects, and a lot of interesting characters.
    Unfortunately, it's really really slow, and a lot of the stuff that happens don't make all that much in terms of how the characters are portrayed.

Each episode thus far seems to be building up to some sort of massive break-out, but it feels like they're dragging it out because each episode goes "watch out, shit's about to go down!", and then the next episode is suddenly reverts back to more mundane stuff, before once again escalating towards the end of the hour, and go "watch out, shit's about to happen!".
    And, a lot of the cast are portrayed make these ridiculously stupid choices like "Ok, I was in an airplane, where 90% of the passengers died of a completely unknown cause, now my eyes are red, I hear voices, and feel like shit, but I am not going to go to the hospital!".

Quote Originally Posted by Xenonight2 View Post
    literally

What's that? A joke?

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 567

Some things that aim low hit wide.

Stay frosty.

`Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

this thread has a lot of really interesting and good replies!

ya ur right its more like Battle Royale... but actually i found battle royale very boring -- maybe its because those elements of fast thinking and sharp thinking on your feet trying to survive dont really appeal to me because as mentioned above we all know everything is interconnected in reality.

oh!!! and yea for sci fi shows i feel battle royale themes/hunger games are boring for me.

i much prefer worldwide virus/apocalyptic change/alien invasion themes. so i really enjoy the new scifi shows

The Strain (i dont usually like vampire shows but i like the virus epidemic angle)

The Last Ship (its fun!)

Falling Skies (it was good at the start but now is not very good at all)

what do u guys think of those?
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Super Duper Uber Mega Ultra Extreme Reputation: 38

Quote Originally Posted by Phanein View Post
    You've changed! You've stopped asking the hard questions like:
    Nah I remember her spamming about champions of regnum all the time...

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 188

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    trends change. vampires are out, dystopia is in. in a few years it'll be aliens or something.
    Dwarves, MOBAs, and organic food.
    ... That moment when you realized that your bath towel is covered in sawdust.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast