Why do you think books/movies like Hunger Games & Divergent are popular right now?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    `Doll's Dishwasher Reputation: 101

Default Why do you think books/movies like Hunger Games & Divergent are popular right now?

A lot of yong adults like the story genres represented by Hunger Games and the newer movie Divergent.

Why do you think these kinds of stories are popular? Is it because they all read Harry potter so Hunger Games is like a grown up Harry Potter with schools and clans and so on?

Is it because right now economic times are so difficult (are they difficult? i thought the rich are doing fine?) that tworking like is like a war?

Or is it just trendy and the movies are all returning back to the old 1970s style show slike "Logans Run" (which i just found and is very similar to Hunger Games etc)?

what doyou think and why?
    Be warned - I am a major player of Regnum Online the mmo. I've been playing it for about 2 years and rarely go without logging in at least once a day. You can also look at good alternatives to Regnum such ase Aion online and Aika Online.

http://i.imgur.com/OR8cPqY.gif
    http://i.minus.com/iuujAXwnufVSO.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibvD03fDh31lre.jpg
    http://i.minus.com/ibwoHNBFwlmuZF.gif
    http://i.minus.com/ibcdlNG4kU0IyS.gif

Holy Hand Grenade Reputation: 141

You've changed! You've stopped asking the hard questions like:
    If a big war happened between Cars & Pedestrians, which side wud you fight for? n y?
    # ᴛ ʜ ᴇ ʏ ᴄ ᴀ ʟ ʟ ᴍ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ ᴇ s ᴏ ʀ ᴄ ᴇ ʀ ᴇ ʀ s ᴜ ᴘ ʀ ᴇ ᴍ ᴇ ʙ ᴇ ᴄ ᴀ ᴜ s ᴇ ɪ ' ᴍ s ᴏ s ᴛ ʀ ᴀ ɴ ɢ ᴇ.

Super Moderator Reputation: 284
    Coloring eggs in the lost city of Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by queenvoo View Post
    Hunger Games is like a grown up Harry Potter

Snakes Big Toe Reputation: 120

The Hunger Games is nothing like Harry Potter.

I don't know why these stories get so much attention. I think there may be one major thing in common, they're all at least PG13. The broader the audience the story appeals to, the more the business, attention, etc. it receives.
    League of Legends IGN: Ellista

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

They're popular because they have massive/expensive ad campaigns and people love to jump on bandwagons.

Eternal Cowboy Reputation: 645
    Jacksonville Jaguars: 2018 Superbowl Champs

trends change. vampires are out, dystopia is in. in a few years it'll be aliens or something.

Illgamez Insomniac Reputation: 69

Add romance and you'll capture many teens/young-adults, especially females, attention if the story is decent enough. Twilight, Divergent, Hunger Games, Fault in Our Stars, etc...

The Undead Reputation: 447

because stronk independant womens!

jk, i only watched hunger games because I thought it might be a bit like Battle Royale. Divergent was terrible.

Olpah's Object Reputation: 326

Haven't stories like these always been popular? I don't think either of your examples have anything to do with Harry Potter though.

It seems to boil down to "what if things around you break down, and you need to fight for your survival?".
    It's the Lord of The Flies, Battle Royale, etc etc all over again, in a new wrapping.
    Neither of the movies you mention seem to really be all that much about politics, which seems to just be a backdrop for the essential theme of human tribalism.

So many genres and show revolve around similar themes(Zombie survival genre in particular).

I have a theory that it's an expression of escapism particularly aimed at or made by people who feel like society around them doesn't really appreciate them, and don't know how to truly express their own potential as human beings.
    In modern day society a lot of people feel that way because they're relegated to being worker drones that live extremely monotone and boring lives.
    In the "Lord of The Flies" scenario, there is no more "work"(gotta work to survive of course, but not in the sense of getting a job, like you have to today), and merit is based primarily on how practical, ruthless and cunning you can be in the moment, rather than on how well your job pays, what kind of education you have, and where in life you find yourself.

It's of course a pipe-dream, because an anarchist/tribal existence is extremely hard on most people, and most people, especially those who can't even deal with modern western civilization, would probably be the first to die in a scenario like that.
    But it feels good to dream right?
    A world where you don't have to answer to anyone but yourself, where you can take what you want, and bash the head in on people who remind you of your annoying boss in your boring day-time job, and where each day provides you new and unique challenges that you can try to solve using your skills alone, without first having to apply for it and provide reference for what school you went to and what kind of work you previously did.

It appeals to our inner neanderthal, and that's a part of psyche, our evolutionary baggage, that isn't go to disappear any time soon.

The Common Sense United Front
    ZAZAZAZAAAA, DADADADAAAA DAAAA, SHWAMSHWAMSHWAMMMM DUUUU DIIIII DAAAAAAAAAA

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 229

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkald View Post
    trends change. vampires are out, dystopia is in. in a few years it'll be aliens or something.
    District 12 please!
    Quote Originally Posted by xBlazex View Post
    sorry for you have the evil heart in the universe. your type are just destroy are world
    The battle of science vs. religion ended when churches started putting lightning rods on their steeples.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast