Wildstar Dev: No More Monthly Content Updates! Your Thoughts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Diddy Kong's Boxers Reputation: 41

Here's the thing, WoW WAS the game back in the day, it was a Goliath in its own right even with games like Ever Quest and Land of Horizons stomping around. The fact that it already had a massive pre-built fan base also did nothing but help the game, as it gave it a gigantic launch pad to take off from, a huge player base from the get-go to develop out of. Wild Star came completely out of the blue with massive promises, "We already have two years worth of updates prepared post launch to put into the game, we'll be consistent" and yet they're already announcing they won't be.

As well as this, Wild Star has FAR more competition in the MMo space than WoW ever did in its inception, why should i play Wild Star when i could get Guildwars 2 for the same price as three months of play? Why should i get Wild Star when i could just go and download any of a massive number of other MMOs that are free, some of which are significantly better? The field has become far more cut-throat since the early WoW days and way less forgiving.

Imagine the MMO market is a pond and each MMO is a fish, WoW has been swimming around in that pond for a very long time, back when their weren't' so many fish to compete with and grew because of it; very little can hurt what is essentially the Goliath Groper of the MMO world. But here's Wild Star, essentially a goldfish and already it's dying a quick death for want of attention and people, you have to be a way more aggressive and energetic fish in these waters to survive now adays than you did back then :I

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 70

Not that World of Warcraft will increase the level cap higher than 100 anyway... since the devs themselves said they wouldn't.

Only plays Burst Magic DPS Classes and Healers.
    Playing MMO: FFXIV (Ragnarok)
    Waiting On: EverQuest Next, FFXV, KH3 ∑ Saving For: An Epic Computer / PS Vita

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterMascot View Post
    A p2p game not giving any monthly updates? Well, good luck keeping the playerbase to what it is, cause I doubt new players will be joining.
    What player base? I've been actively playing this game since pre-launch and will tell you....well let's just say i was in queue for PRACTICE ARENA 2s for 45min last night and didn't even get a queue...and yes, it was a cross realm queue

General Manager Reputation: 353

Which dev said this? I wouldn't mind a link to the interview.

Nvm I wasn't feeling as lazy as I thought.

http://www.gamefront.com/wildstar-wi...nthly-updates/

Pretty well put together video. From a business standpoint you're spot on. This isn't the kind of publicity WildStar needs right now. The headline alone is damning enough. That said as a casual player, I'm glad they're realizing early that what people need in the game right now is bug fixes, optimization, economic reformation, and pvp balance. The game launched with insane amounts of content. No hurry from casual players like me for them to release more content when I have only gotten through 15% of what's there.
    Last edited by DizzyPW; 08-23-2014 at 04:40 PM.
    Iíd rather risk confusing some people than disappointing them. - Mark Jacobs

It's a sign you're a bad person if somebody else acted like you, you would hate them. - Swagger Pope

Follow my writing team at OnRPG.

Currently Playing: SMITE, Elsword
    History: FFXIV, Lost Saga, Prime World, Path of Exile, League of Legends, Wizardry Online, The Secret World, TERA, Planetside 2, C9, Dragon Nest, Forsaken World, Dungeon Defenders, Realm of the Titans, Eden Eternal, Vindictus, Champions Online, PockieNinja, Black Prophecy, Warhammer, Perfect World, Maplestory, Guild Wars, Anarchy Online, Ragnarok.

Support Pancreatic Cancer Research

Xenonight2's Zealot Reputation: 87

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    Not that World of Warcraft will increase the level cap higher than 100 anyway... since the devs themselves said they wouldn't.
    Uhh yes they will. / Don't spread misinformation
    Infact they stated multiple times they made the max level in WoD 100 to break the assumption that the level won't go higher than 100 as soon as possible rather than doing another 5 lvl expack.

They already confirmed the max level WILL go higher than 100. They didn't say if we would get higher max level in the next expansion right away as they want to make this one a 2-raid tier only to release the next one faster, but they did say they intended to raise the max level above 100.

(I'm not going to go through 5 hours of reading on mmochamp to find the posts they made when they announced WOD about this though)
    Last edited by DarkAztaroth; 08-23-2014 at 07:17 PM.

500+ Posts???? Reputation: 5

The frequency of updates doesn't matter as much as the quality of them.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroleTheUntamed View Post
    The frequency of updates doesn't matter as much as the quality of them.
    Truer words have never been spoken.
    Give players something that is truly enjoyable and they will play it for a long time.
    However, most MMOs just dump out mindless grind after grind. They keep people playing for progression and completion rather than fun.

Sonicís Milkshake Reputation: 10

Because it's 2014 now. People didn't have the same expectations back when WoW was released. The genre wasn't even fully defined at that point.

It wouldn't have been that big a deal had the devs said "We will update every 2 months" before release. It's when devs go back on their word that it annoys people.

Cloud's Hair Spray Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...2392168?page=2

^They have every intention to keep going. You really think they're going to end with Warlords of Draenor? Ha.

Marios's Mustache Wax Reputation: 10

I don't blame the devs because I know it's not easy. But promise is promise, they should at least do something to compensate those who bought the game.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast