Archeage discussion/review

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Link's a Hippie! Reputation: 15

Played up to Palace Cellar @ lv20 after getting in CBT4, so I had a taste of the first dungeon but nothing more yet.

Levelling up 1-20 I felt like the game was a quest grind, and I didn't have too much fun playing it. I am glad there is LOS since it is PvP focused, but when I found out that my spells couldn't be cancelled if an enemy moved behind me I was really sad. I feel like if a modern MMO is going to be tab-targetting, then players should have to manually face towards the enemy when they cast spells on them. It just adds on another skill layer to combat in the game. Soo.. I would rate combat a 5/10. Good enough to play, but not amazing.

Class combination is an interesting thing. I myself prefer having many many classes(20+), but not through this class combination thing Archeage does. I feel like individual classes would be more fleshed out if they were built individually instead of this class combo thing. I've nothing really to comment on it. It's kinda cool, but nothing special either imo. It's really complex but sometimes you risk becoming a subpar version of what you really wanna be :<

Palace Cellar was where it started getting fun for me. 2-manned it with a friend and we wiped a lot on the last boss. I had a lot of fun, but the mechanics for the last boss fight were really obscure; I didn't know that walking in the water would put out the flame and that I was supposed to use a nulling potion on the boss to take off his buff lol. I think when the game actually launches I'll pick it up and play it again since I had fun running that dungeon. Hopefully, I will also do some other stuff and PvP when I get higher level after launch.

Rock Man Reputation: 10

Yea the core of the game is mostly nothing new, bland at that. Though there are quite a lot of fun random things to do. Minus the farming, leveling, crafting, and pvp it has been pretty fun running around doing random junk. Got the first boat and was dragging the boat across the land. Been lately making mml codes for the music papers. So far made rick roll, kan gou lai - Richie Ren song, and a bunch of other songs. Sail the seas for a long time so far spotted a storm, white shark, sea bugs, nuians (bunch of assholes they literally stand there and farm the trade run port), dragging rowboats around, and attempted to look for kraken several times.

Several things that is going to be broken simply because everyone have access to jury. Closed beta everyone that got to the stand is sentence to be guilty no matter what. Area's that's going to be pack on trade runs ports (unless you're packing an army). Patron status I actually see a legitimate problem (now with patron status) with it but too many topics and too many ppl butt hurt about the topic so I'm gonna leave that out to myself.

This is pretty much a game you don't take seriously really. You can be the number crunching guy about it but since this game isn't suppose to be about PVE (Can't really say it's an exact hardcore pvp either despite the pvp wars and etc.) it really don't leave you with much but to run around and mess with things. Then again this is just my opinion after playing for a while.

Rock Man Reputation: 32

People are saying that Tera, a game where using a skill locks you in place, has better movement controls than Archeage? Dafuq is wrong with you?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 278

Quote Originally Posted by goawaybeavis View Post
    People are saying that Tera, a game where using a skill locks you in place, has better movement controls than Archeage? Dafuq is wrong with you?
    Why do people keep saying this and use it as if it's something negative?
    Each ability has its own animation lock, which in turn requires you to know what move to use when, to not put yourself at a disadvantage.
    They also move you certain distances, and depending on your race, you will have different animations/hitboxes etc.
    It's a very well made combat system, and it's a lot better than Archeages.

That aside, the two should generally not be compared, because they're not similar games.

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

Bongo Crazy Kong Reputation: 10

Quote Originally Posted by goawaybeavis View Post
    TERA combat is way more fluid and the character movement looks natural, camera doesn't feel clunky.
    Archeage's control just give of the feel like some cheaply made chinese mmo.

Sandman's Slave Reputation: 245

Untill they add the apex system, F2P players are EXTREMELY gimped. You cant use the auction house, you cant even do a bunch of the crafting professions since they require you to craft things that require items not obtainable via the public farms. One example being alchemy. Alchemy requires medicinal powder for pretty much every thing. Only thing is you need to be able grow mushrooms to get the powder, which cannot be grown in the public farms. .. So I didnt get to do much playing in the beta since I was not about to pay for a character that will be deleted.

Aside from that I love the epic feeling Archeage has. Everything feels so wide open and adventurous. Love that.
    Relax and enjoy life

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 278

Quote Originally Posted by Jancokman View Post
    TERA combat is way more fluid and the character movement looks natural, camera doesn't feel clunky.
    Archeage's control just give of the feel like some cheaply made chinese mmo.
    yeah, so i guess wow has cheap controls too?
    lol get out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetake View Post
    Untill they add the apex system, F2P players are EXTREMELY gimped. You cant use the auction house, you cant even do a bunch of the crafting professions since they require you to craft things that require items not obtainable via the public farms. One example being alchemy. Alchemy requires medicinal powder for pretty much every thing. Only thing is you need to be able grow mushrooms to get the powder, which cannot be grown in the public farms. .. So I didnt get to do much playing in the beta since I was not about to pay for a character that will be deleted.

Aside from that I love the epic feeling Archeage has. Everything feels so wide open and adventurous. Love that.
    extremely gimped? hell no.
    there are several people who got a boat etc. playing f2p.
    you CAN use the auction house, you just can't sell on it (you can alternatively have your friends who have patron sell for you)
    public farms are not meant to substitute a real farm, go out in the open and plant there instead. don't be a pussy.
    only way to get early boat/farm is to plant trees out in the wild.
    Last edited by Candyholic; 08-28-2014 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plotto View Post
    ps @varon: its called grammatical errors. so far as i can c, u have no clue about gamer language.

Ride emí Yoshi Reputation: 10

Anyone plan on playing this seriously? If so let me know, forming a small group of about 4-8 people.

Rock Man Reputation: 27

I played it for i think around 3 months. Got 1 50 to pirate, 3 50s on east faction one of which was archemaster.
    Absolutely love it. PvP has meaning - something that's been missing in every game.
    The questing is pretty dry tbh. That's not where the game shines at all and sadly it'll turn a few people off. But if you can get through that, the depth is insane. I think the game would be improved by finding a way to tone down the cookie cutter classes (this would be extremely difficult to do due to the class system).
    Majority of people running around are daggerspells, darkrunners, and primevals.
    I personally enjoyed Blighter the most. Two of my 50s mained blighter. Any class with defense is extremely viable. Defense+witchcraft mages are a bit overpowered imo. Shadowknight, Cabalist, Dreambreaker, they're all incredible due to the mudhand enervate combo.

Ape for Diddy Reputation: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Candyholic View Post

extremely gimped? hell no.
    there are several people who got a boat etc. playing f2p.
    you CAN use the auction house, you just can't sell on it (you can alternatively have your friends who have patron sell for you)
    im not so sure about not being gimped as f2p. farming, yes, i do agree on that, u dont nessesary need your own farm, but they do help. bigest problem i see with f2p is labor points, specialy early ingame. im not sure prices for crafting so maybe its not that bad but, tp thingies cost 50lp, glider upgrade 25 lp, so i asume all crafting will cost more than 5 tp.

got 2 chars to 14~lvl, in total i had just ower 200lp on account leftower after indentifieng gear from q. and from what ive seen ... it cost like 20 to cut a tree or something. only way i see to do any crafting ... leaving your character online 24/7 and thats just stupid(this whole problem comes from that f2p doesnt recover lp when ofline)

oh and i lowe that argument that ewerybodu seems to be puting out right now, friend with patron can help u ... ye just thing is ... most ppl gona use thses patron advantages to themself, coz u know ... theres litle point of being patron and not farming/using ah

overall i still did enjoyed game, for some reasons its more interesting than gw2( for me that is)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast