New and fun machine

Easssssssy Livin' Reputation: 853

Default New and fun machine

So hey! I went to a rummage sale today and picked myself up a Dell Studio One 19 all-in-one touch screen PC for $1. Yes, $1. I got something about "we don't know if this works something something pastors son something something". OK whatever.

I got it home, it had a BIOS password, I messed around with the CMOS switch and all of that. I booted it up, it had LIMEWIRE (oh god) and some other crap on it that terrified me, including Windows Vista. Device manager had a bunch of stuff missing of course, and there are a host of problems that I didn't feel like dealing with.

I'm in the process of formatting and installing Windows 7 as I sit here and type. I've read around and already found people who have had trouble with drivers and shit, so I'm fully prepared for that eventuality.

My problem is...the fan in this thing is LOUD. I mean, the second you turn it on, it's like the fan is going full speed. I had it opened up when I was messing with the CMOS and I dusted it out. It was fairly dirty, but not anything that I didn't expect. I thought maybe it'd slow the fan down...it didn't.

It sounds almost like someone is in the other room using a hair dryer with the door shut. That loud.

Is there anything I can do?

Also, let me say how excited I am to have this toy haha. Hopefully I can get the touch screen drivers working with Win7. I know Win8 is the obvious choice for a touch screen PC, but I couldn't *COUGH*afford*COUGH* a proper version. Or maybe find is the right word.

- - - Updated - - -

It does feel distinctly warm where the fans are located too...I know thats to be expected to some degree, but it's only been running for like 20 minutes and this laptop I've been using for hours is just as warm.

Bladin's Sword Sharpener Reputation: 88

Google indicates that that model can have a rather loud fan.

Most personal computers and similar devices tend to reach their normal operating temp fairly quickly and stay there for the duration of them being on.

Safe operating temps on most of a computers components are at least 110F.
    Run CPUID or something similar and get the actual temps for the parts.
    Last edited by FarmerM; 08-23-2014 at 07:16 AM.

Thanks! My googling showed people having trouble with an oscillating fan sound, but it's comforting to hear it's a common thing. I kinda assumed so but the worry got the best of me :P

I had it running for a solid 5 hours last night with no trouble. Only missing one driver and its a stupid one so woo! New toy. And I learned how to bypass a bios password.

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 582

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is

Thanks man! Its listed as unknown though. I found the driver but it only wants x6. Or the other one. And I had the opposite of the one it wants lol.

Is there a way to slow the fan in the bios? My buddy suggested it and I haven't looked yet.

Elsa! :3 Reputation: 582

While I'm not a fan of it, download Speedfan. Just don't touch anything else beyond the fan settings. You should keep an eye out on the temperatures as well. No fun with an overheating CPU.

[My Anime List] | [last.fm] | [xfire] | [Steam]
    Quote Originally Posted by duby View Post
    i have no clue as to what a paragraph is