Thread: Looking for turn based RPGs

Lockhart’s are forever Reputation: 60
    Default Looking for turn based RPGs

Hey hey!

I'll hopefully have a bit more time to play games in this coming wintersemester.
    Therefore I'm looking for good turn based RPGs for PC (if they are graphically appealing, that's a big plus).

Games I've already played/heard of:
    - Anachronox
    - Final Fantasy 3
    - Final Fantasy 7
    - Final Fantasy 8
    - Grandia 2
    - Breath Of Fire 4
    - Blackguards
    - The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
    - Faery - Legends of Avalon
    - Agarest: Generations of War Zero
    - Lords of Xulima
    - South Park: The Stick of Truth
    - The Banner Saga
    - The Last Remnant
    - Child of Light
    - Might & Magic X: Legacy

Also, if I were to try an emulator, which software and which games would you suggest?

OnRPG Elite Member! Reputation: 139

All of the Spiderweb games are turn-based and for PC.
    Avernum: Escape From The Pit is by far the best one in my opinion.

Then there is the King's Bounty series which is basically Heroes of Might & Magic as RPG instead of strategy game.

Might & Magic - World of Xeen (IV and V combined) is probably the best turn based Might & Magic game.

And we shouldn't forget the Wizardry series. 7&8 being the best ones of the series for PC. The older ones didn't age too well, but I can recommend the SNES remake from 1999 for 1-3 which is really good and has a fan translation:

Then we have that new Shadowrun game and its expansion.

And Paper Sorcerer which has a pretty unique art style and is a bit slow but should satisfy your turn-based combat needs just as well.

Also, as I've grown up with a Mega Drive (Genesis), I would of course also recommend all the PC re-releases of my old favorite RPGs:
    Phantasy Star II-IV
    Shining In The Darkness
    Shining Force I-II

For emulation... well there is just too many turn-based stuff, so you need to be a lot more specific for me to recommend you some good ones. But I think there is enough stuff available legally for PC, so there's no need for emulation at all.